|In Praise of Older Women|
|Directed by||George Kaczender|
|Written by||Paul Gottlieb |
|Based on||In Praise of Older Women|
by Stephen Vizinczey
|Produced by||Robert Lantos|
|Narrated by||Henry Ramer|
|Edited by||George Kaczender|
|Music by||Tibor Polgár|
Astral Bellevue Pathé
|Distributed by||Astral Films|
András Vayda (Tom Berenger) grows up in a turbulent, war-torn Hungary, where he procures local girls for the occupying G.I.s during World War II. Disappointed by the girls his age, he meets Maya (Karen Black), a married woman in her 30s, who tutors him in love and romance. Maya is only the first of many mature women whom András will meet through his teenage and young adult life.
- Tom Berenger as András Vayda
- Karen Black as Maya
- Susan Strasberg as Bobbie
- Helen Shaver as Ann MacDonald
- Marilyn Lightstone as Klari
- Alexandra Stewart as Paula
- Marianne McIsaac as Julika
- Alberta Watson as Mitzi
- Ian Tracey as Andras Vajda Jr
- Monique Lepage as The Countess
- Louise Marleau as Woman in Elevator
- Henry Ramer, Narrator (voice)
The film was distributed by Astral Films in Canada and Embassy Pictures in the United States. It was shown at the 1978 Toronto International Film Festival on 14 September, and released in Montreal on 22 September. The French dub was released in Montreal on 14 March 1980. The film earned over $20 million.
Before its release, the Ontario Film Review Board demanded the removal of a 35 second sex scene from the film. However, the original cut of the film was shown during the Toronto International Film Festival, and despite a subway strike and a rainstorm, hundreds of people waited outside the Elgin Theatre to see the film. According to some sources, counterfeit tickets were distributed, and a riot almost formed as ticket holders were turned away. The film received mostly negative reviews.
|Award||Category||Recipients and nominees||Result|
|Canadian Film Awards, 1978||Art Direction (Feature)||Wolf Kroeger||Won|
|Performance by a Lead Actress (Feature)||Helen Shaver||Won|
|Supporting Actress (Feature)||Marilyn Lightstone||Won|
|Cinematography (Feature)||Miklós Lente||Won|
- In Praise of Older Women (1997 adaption)
- In Praise of Older Women at IMDb
- The New York Times review : http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/24525/In-Praise-of-Older-Women/overview
- Donahue, Suzanne Mary (1987). American film distribution : the changing marketplace. UMI Research Press. p. 297. Please note figures are for rentals in US and Canada
- Turner 1987, p. 253-254.
- Knelman 1987, p. 28.
- Pat Mullen, "Oscar Winning Doc Leads List of Restored Canadian Classics". Point of View, May 9, 2023.
- David Berry (September 3, 2015). "TIFF: An oral history". National Post. Retrieved September 4, 2015.
- "Fun facts about TIFF". CBC News. September 3, 2010. Retrieved September 4, 2015.
- "Awards Database". Academy of Canadian Cinema & Television. April 8, 2014. Archived from the original on November 14, 2016. Retrieved September 4, 2015.
- Turner, D. John, ed. (1987). Canadian Feature Film Index: 1913-1985. Canadian Film Institute. ISBN 0660533642.
- Knelman, Martin (1987). Home Movies: Tales from the Canadian Film World. Key Porter Books. ISBN 1550130498.