|Dam||My Dear Girl|
|Breeder||Frances A. Genter|
|Owner||Frances A. Genter|
Pimlico Futurity (1966)
Preakness Stakes 2nd (1967)
|In Reality Stakes at Calder Race Course|
|Last updated on 5/11/2012|
In Reality (1964–1989) was an American bred racehorse. Bred in Florida, he was a son of Intentionally and out of the mare My Dear Girl, the 1959 American Champion Two-Year-Old Filly. His damsire was Santa Anita Derby winner Rough'n Tumble, who sired U.S. Racing Hall of Fame inductee Dr. Fager. In Reality will be best remembered for his win in the Florida Derby and his runner-up performance in the $200,000 92nd running of The Preakness Stakes to Eclipse Award Champion and millionaire Damascus.
In Reality started his stakes career with a second-place finish in the Cowdin Stakes to the young Dr. Fager and then ran second in the Sapling Stakes. He finished his two-year-old season with a run in the Pimlico Futurity, beating out that year's champion two-year-old, Successor, for the win.
In his three-year-old season, he started the year with a win in the Hibiscus Stakes. In Reality then finished second in the Florida Breeders' Stakes and the Flamingo Stakes before he won the Fountain of Youth and the Florida Derby. He then moved on to the Preakness, where he finished second to Damascus. This effort was followed by wins in the Jersey Derby, Rumson Handicap and Choice Stakes.
In Reality next met up again with Damascus in the American Derby and came in second once more. Against Dr. Fager in the New Hampshire Sweepstakes Classic, he finished second again. In Reality made one more attempt at another stakes in the Jerome Handicap and again was second; after that he laid off for the rest of the season.
In his four-year-old season, he finished third in both the Royal Palm and the Seminole Handicap. After taking a month off, he won the John B. Campbell Handicap, Carter Handicap, and Metropolitan Handicap. In Reality retired soon after his win in the Metropolitan to stand at stud for Frances A. Genter in Florida.
In Reality is the sire of:
- Desert Vixen (b. 1970) - U.S. Racing Hall of Fame Filly
- Smile (b. 1982) - Won 1986 Breeders' Cup Sprint, American Champion Sprint Horse, Damsire of Smarty Jones
- Known Fact (b. 1977) - Won the 1979 Middle Park Stakes & the 1980 2,000 Guineas Stakes, English Champion Three-Year-Old Colt
- Relaunch (b. 1976) - Won Del Mar Derby. Grandsire of Hall of Fame inductee Tiznow. Damsire of 2004 World's Top Ranked Horse Ghostzapper and Real Shadai, the 1993 Leading sire in Japan
- Believe It (b. 1975) Won Wood Memorial Stakes, second in Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes. Damsire of 1998 Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes and Eclipse Award winner Real Quiet.
In Reality is also the damsire of:
- Commendable (b. 1997) - Won 2000 Belmont Stakes
- Mane Minister (b. 1988) - Won 1991 Santa Catalina Stakes
- Toussaud (b. 1989) - Won 1993 Gamely Stakes and Kentucky Broodmare of the Year
- Meadow Star (b. 1988) - Won 1990 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies & American Champion Two-Year-Old Filly