In Search of Aliens
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|In Search of Aliens|
|Presented by||Giorgio A. Tsoukalos|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10|
|Executive producer(s)||Kevin Burns|
|Running time||42 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Prometheus Entertainment|
|Distributor||A&E Television Networks|
|Original release||July 25 –|
October 3, 2014
In Search of Aliens is an American television series that premiered on July 25, 2014 on the H2 channel. Produced by Prometheus Entertainment, the program features Giorgio A. Tsoukalos, a leading contributor to the television show Ancient Aliens who promotes the pseudoscientific notion that ancient astronauts visited Earth and influenced human culture.
The show has received criticism from critics and organizations such as the Southern Poverty Law Center, who describe the show as promoting "racist pseudo-scholarship".
- Episode 1: The Hunt for Atlantis
- Episode 2: Nazi Time Travelers
- Episode 3: The Mystery of Loch Ness
- Episode 4: The Roswell Rock
- Episode 5: Searching for Bigfoot
- Episode 6: The Mystery of the Cyclops
- Episode 7: The Mystery of Puma Punku
- Episode 8: The Founding of America
- Episode 9: The Mystery of Nazca
- Episode 10: The Alien Code
According to reviewer Jason Colavito, the information presented in the show "added up to nothing", there was "no overriding thesis or purpose", and Tsoukalos admits "he doesn’t buy into what his interviewees said". Colavito wrote that "In Search of Aliens is an ersatz America Unearthed that lacks even the dubious expertise of Scott F. Wolter, who, for all his faults, produces more interesting television by having the courage of his convictions and coming to lunatic conclusions from a consistent (if skewed) reading of “evidence” he investigates".
Colavito named ancient astronauts as "one of the more elaborate theories in pseudo-history with a racist component”. According to Alexander Zaitchik writing for the Southern Poverty Law Center's Hatewatch blog, shows that promote fringe history like In Search of Aliens are embraced by the far right because they help in "raising the profile of racist pseudo-scholarship", such as German writer Jan Udo Holey, whose antisemitic books have been banned across Europe.
- "In Search of Aliens Episode Guide". History.com. September 2, 2014.
- Colavito, Jason. "Review of In Search of Aliens S01E01 "The Hunt for Atlantis"". .jasoncolavito.com. Jason Colavito. Retrieved 27 January 2020.
- Zaitchik, Alexander. "Close encounters of the racist kind". splcenter.org. SPLC Hatewatch. Retrieved 27 January 2020.