In These Arms
|"In These Arms"|
|Single by Bon Jovi|
|from the album Keep the Faith|
|Released||May 9, 1993|
|Writer(s)||Jon Bon Jovi, Richie Sambora, David Bryan|
|Bon Jovi singles chronology|
"In These Arms" is a song by American rock band Bon Jovi. It was written by Jon Bon Jovi, Richie Sambora, and David Bryan. It was released in May 1993 as the third single from the band's 1992 album Keep the Faith.
- "In These Arms"
- "Keep The Faith" (Live)
- "In These Arms" (Live)
The song was the band's second most successful single from Keep the Faith in the U.S., reaching #27 on the Billboard Hot 100, #32 on the Mainstream Rock chart and #14 on the top 40 mainstream chart. It also reached #6 on the Canadian singles chart, #9 on the UK Singles Chart, #10 on the Australian singles chart and #14 on the German Top 40.
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||20|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||22|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||14|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||7|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||23|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||9|
|US Billboard Hot 100||27|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||14|
|US Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks (Billboard)||32|
The song's lyrics are about everlasting love and devotion. The song is characterized by a strong bass rhythm, jangling guitars, and very light drum playing, as well as soulful, emotional singing by Jon Bon Jovi. However, it is not a ballad, as its driving guitars and fast-paced beat and upbeat sound maintain it as more of a pop-rock song, in the vein of "Born to Be My Baby".
The video for the song shows Bon Jovi performing at a concert on their Keep the Faith Tour. The live portions were filmed during Bon Jovi's New Year's Eve show at Stabler Arena in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania on December 31, 1992. The live show was also featured on their previous track "Bed of Roses". Portions of the video were also filmed at the Dane County Coliseum in Madison, Wisconsin in March 1993.
The song has always been a fan favorite, and was a staple in the band's setlist on their Have A Nice Day Tour, and also was played frequently on the Lost Highway Tour, especially on the European leg of the tour. The song was also recorded by the band's keyboard player David Bryan on his first solo album On a Full Moon released in 1995, and again, this time with him singing vocals, on his second solo album Lunar Eclipse released in 2000.
- Entertainment Weekly Review
- "Allmusic (Bon Jovi charts & awards) Billboard singles".
- "Australian-charts.com – Bon Jovi – In These Arms". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved November 2, 2012.
- "Austriancharts.at – Bon Jovi – In These Arms" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved November 2, 2012.
- "Ultratop.be – Bon Jovi – In These Arms" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved November 2, 2012.
- "Top Singles - Volume 57, No. 25, July 03 1993". RPM. Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved November 2, 2012.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Bon Jovi – In These Arms". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved November 2, 2012.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Bon Jovi – In These Arms" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved November 2, 2012.
- "Swisscharts.com – Bon Jovi – In These Arms". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved November 2, 2012.
- "Archive Chart: 1993-05-29" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved November 2, 2012.
- "Bon Jovi – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Bon Jovi. Retrieved November 1, 2012.
- "Bon Jovi – Chart history" Billboard Pop Songs for Bon Jovi. Retrieved November 1, 2012.
- "Chart Search Results - Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks 1993-05-01". Billboard.biz. Retrieved November 2, 2012.