In Your Room (The Bangles song)
|"In Your Room"|
|Single by The Bangles|
|from the album Everything|
|Genre||Pop rock, power pop|
|Writer(s)||Susanna Hoffs, Tom Kelly, Billy Steinberg|
|The Bangles singles chronology|
"In Your Room" is a 1988 song by American rock group The Bangles, written by Susanna Hoffs, Tom Kelly and Billy Steinberg. The song was released as the first single from the band's third album, Everything. It reached the top five of the US singles chart, and also charted in Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom.
According to songwriter Billy Steinberg, "In Your Room" was written in the same batch of songs as "Eternal Flame". Steinberg recalled, "[The Bangles] liked everything from Petula Clark to The Beatles and all the Sixties music they loved. So when we got together to write with Susanna it was right up our alley because of course Tom and I grew up in the sixties and that was what we loved. So we had that in common with Susanna". He added that the song's style was somewhat similar to "Mony Mony", the 1968 hit single by Tommy James and the Shondells.
Release and reception
Released in October 1988, "In Your Room" entered the Billboard Hot 100 the following month and peaked at number five in January. It reached number four on the Singles Sales chart, number nine on the Hot 100 Airplay chart, and number five on the Modern Rock chart. The song also peaked at number 11 in New Zealand, number 41 in Australia, and number 35 in the United Kingdom.
AllMusic writer Matthew Greenwald praised the band's rhythm section for the song's chorus and bridge sections, and noted that the song's lyrics were ideal for Hoffs' "kittenish sexuality". Rolling Stone writer Jim Freek said "In Your Room" was perhaps the band's best song to be released after their debut album.
|US Billboard Hot 100||5|
|US Modern Rock Tracks||5|
|Australian ARIA Singles Chart||41|
|New Zealand RIANZ Singles Chart||11|
|UK Singles Chart||35|
|Irish Singles Chart||25|
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits (8th ed.). New York: Billboard Books. p. 46. ISBN 978-0-8230-7499-0.
- "Bangles - Charts & Awards - Billboard Singles". Allmusic (Rovi Corporation). Retrieved 2010-01-23.
- "Bangles - 'In Your Room'". Ultratop. Retrieved 2010-01-23.
- "The Bangles - 'In Your Room'". Chart Stats. Retrieved 2010-01-23.
- Greenwald, Matthew. ""In Your Room" - Review". Allmusic (Rovi Corporation). Retrieved 2010-01-23.
- Freek, Jim (2000-09-05). "Bangles Rekindle Flame at Secret Show". Rolling Stone (Wenner Media). Retrieved 2010-01-23.
- "UK Official Charts: Bangles". Official Charts Company. 2016. Retrieved 16 December 2016.