In the Club (TV series)
|In the Club|
|Created by||Kay Mellor|
|Written by||Kay Mellor (12 Episodes)
Gaynor Faye (1 Episode)
|Theme music composer||Hal Lindes|
|Opening theme||"Wonderful World" by Rebecca Ferguson|
|Ending theme||Hal Lindes|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||2|
|No. of episodes||12|
|Location(s)||Leeds, Yorkshire, England|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Rollem Productions|
|Picture format||16:9 1080i|
|Original release||5 August 2014– present|
In the Club is a British drama television series that was first broadcast on BBC One on 5 August 2014. The series follows six couples who attended a local Parent Craft class during their pregnancy. The series was written and created by Kay Mellor. A second series was commissioned in 2014 and broadcast in the UK from 3 May to 7 June 2016.
On 18 June 2013, BBC One announced the commissioning of the series. The series was commissioned by Danny Cohen, former controller of BBC One, and Ben Stephenson, controller of BBC Drama commissioning. Filming took place in Leeds from January 2014 several scenes of which took part in Allerton High School.
- Hermione Norris as Roanna Wilson, a 40-something woman who gives up her marriage, family and successful business to be with her 27-year-old boyfriend, Simon. She and Simon have a son together called Sonny. She met Simon's parents but seems to know Simon's father, Jonathan, from an earlier time, which Simon's mum Emma and Simon are not aware of, but only her ex-husband Ray is aware what has happened between Roanna and Jonathan. Her now ex-husband declared that he has still has feeling for her.
- Katherine Parkinson as Kim Hall, a part-time teaching assistant who works at the same school that Rosie and her girlfriend Susie's son Jude attends. She also has her own website, Kim and the bump, which offers advice for other expectant mums. Her and Susie's relationship faces some tensions when Kim supports Rosie. She has a close relationship with her baby's biological father Neil. She gives birth to a daughter named Emily. In series 2, she in a romantic relationship with Neil. Kim wants to be a good mother to her daughter. She is the main godmother to Jude and Rosie's daughter Dinah, but she also feels guilty on how things ended between her and Susie when she and Neil got together.
- Jill Halfpenny as Diane Manning, a woman who has struggled to naturally conceive with her husband Rick. She is the mother to her two adoptive children. Although she is happy about the arrival of twins she is worried as her husband may soon face prison for robbing a bank, she has no money (her husband did not tell her he had been made redundant) and one of her twins is critically ill.
- Christine Bottomley as Victoria "Vicky" Brierly, a midwife at the hospital who goes the extra mile for her patients. Along with her colleagues, Geraldine and Fiona, she holds parenting classes that the others attend. She is also pregnant and wants to get married before her baby is born, if only she can convince the baby’s father, Dr Chris Bellingham. Her colleagues have no idea that Dr Bellingham is her baby’s father, she gives birth to her and Chris' son named Ben. In series 2, she is working full-time and looking after her son Ben alone while Chris is travelling to find the woman he married years ago for money. She faces her biggest challenge of her midwife career when new mother died after she delivered the baby, after the inquest, Vicky wasn't to blame. Chris returns from his travels.
- Taj Atwal as Jasmin Sidhwa, a woman who is unsure if the father of her unborn baby is her husband Dev or her ex-boyfriend Jack. She gives birth to a daughter called Amber. Later hospital tests confirmed that her husband Dev is the father to their daughter. In Series 2, she and Dev are expecting twins and facing the biggest decision of their lives after an hospital visit reveals some devastating news.
- Hannah Midgley as Rosie Hutchinson, a fifteen-year-old school girl who gets pregnant after her first time. She kept her pregnancy a secret from everyone including her widowed father. She found comfort from Kim's website, she gave birth to a daughter, named her Dinah after her late mother. After Rosie has given birth and learned that her father has been badly injured in a car accident, she is supported by Kim. Rosie announced that the father of her daughter is Jude. In Series 2, Rosie and Jude are in a relationship, they are expecting their second child. Rosie gives birth to a second daughter named Davina while Jude's delivered their baby girl when she, Jude and Dinah were in a broken down lift. She, Jude and their children now living in her father's flat after some tensions between Jude mum Susie and her new partner Claire.
- Sacha Dhawan as Devan "Dev" Sidhwa, Jasmin's husband and is the father of their daughter. In Series 2, Dev and Jamsin are facing the biggest decision of their lives after an hospital visit reveals some devastating news about their unborn twins.
- Will Mellor as Richard "Rick" Manning, Diane's husband and father of their two adoptive children and the soon-to-be-born twins, who robbed a bank after he could not afford to pay for his children's lunch. In Series 2 he returns home from serving his sentence, He realises that his wife is a child-minder and helps her out. Whilst helping her out one of the children bumps her head and he takes everyone to hospital. Diane is then told that she can only do her job if her husband isn't in the house.
- Jonathan Kerrigan as Neil, father of his best friend Susie's son Jude and Kim's baby. He and Kim's share a close and growing relationship. Kim gives birth to a girl called Emily. He also found out that his son Jude is the father to Rosie's daughter Dinah. In series 2, he and Kim are in romantic relationship, but he is aware that Susie's in a new relationship and kept it from Kim.
- Luke Thompson as Simon Lambert, Roanna's 27-year-old boyfriend, who is an art graduate student. His parents are Jonathan and Emma. He and Roanna are parents to a son named Sonny.
- Tara Fitzgerald as Susie, she is the mother of her and her best friend Neil's son called Jude. She's is Kim's girlfriend, their relationship faces some tensions, she does not like it when Kim shows support towards Rosie. However, she learns that her son Jude is the father of Rosie's daughter Dinah. She later noticed how close Kim and Neil's are and ends her and Kim's relationship. In Series 2, she's in a new relationship with Claire. Her and Kim's house has been sold and plans to travel with Claire but face some tensions with Jude and Rosie.
- John Marquez as Ray Wilson (series 2, recurring series 1), is Roanna's soon to be ex-husband and father to her eldest children. He owns an recruitment company, and he and Roanna are getting a divorce. In series 2, Ray and Roanna are now divorced. He gives Roanna some of her settlement money from their divorce after she asked him for help. He is aware of Roanna's history with Jonathan, and also declared that he still has feelings for her.
- Brendan Patricks as Dr Chris Bellingham, a doctor at the hospital who is in a relationship with midwife Vicky and is the father of her baby. Their colleagues are not aware of the relationship. Vicky gives birth to their son named Ben. In Series 2, he is mentioned by Vicky that he is travelling to find the wife whom he married for money to divorce her, so he can marry Vicky. He later returns home after traveling.
- Sandra Huggett as Maxine (series 2), works as a cleaner for Nathan and Andrew. Maxine and her husband Micky have on/off again relationship. Her daughter Shelley is expecting a child for her bosses. Maxine’s worried Shelly hasn't thought it through. Maxine found a newborn baby boy in one of the hospital's toilet, the hospital staff named the baby Louie. However she confess that she is the baby mother.
- Gemma Dobson as Shelly (series 2), she’s Maxine's daughter and expecting a child for her mum's bosses Nathan and Andrew. Now she in the last trimester of her pregnancy and thinks it’s the perfect way to make some money; £10k for a healthy baby.
- Paul Nicholls as Nathan (series 2), is a successful interior designer who lives with his long-term partner Andrew,their cleaner’s daughter, Shelly agreed to help them out when they said they’d pay her to carrying their child.
- Andrew Buckley as Andrew (series 2), is very excited to become a father and has taken as much paternity leave as possible from his job, he’s busy rushing around trying to get everything ready and buying all the provisions they need for the arrival of their child and wants updates from Shelly.
- Neil Pearson as Jonathan Lambert (series 2, recurring series 1) is Simon's father, who seems to know his son's partner Roanna from a previous time, which his wife Emma and his son Simon are not aware of.
- Steven Elder as Dave Hutchinson.
- Will Tudor as Jack Moorhouse (Series 1), a solicitor, who is Jasmin's ex-boyfriend and could be the father of her baby, however later on tests reveals that he is not the father.
- Lorraine Cheshire as Geraldine Parks, a senior midwife at the hospital, who holds parenting classes along with her colleagues Vicky and Fiona.
- Shobna Gulati as Fiona (Series 1), a midwife at the hospital, who holds parenting classes along with her colleagues Vicky and Geraldine.
- Daniel 'Danny' Breeze as Jude, son of Neil and Susie. His mother's girlfriend is Kim, who works as an teaching assistant at the school he attends. He's later named as the father of Rosie's baby daughter Dinah and he is also the half-brother to his dad Neil and Kim's daughter Emily. In Series 2, Jude and Rosie are in an romantic relationship, they are expecting their second child. He passed his resits exams, and plans to attend night school to study his A-Levels exams while he's working. He delivered his second child while he, Rosie and Dinah were in a broken down lift, Rosie gave birth to their second daughter named Davina. He, Rosie and their children are now living at Rosie's father flat after tensions between his mum and her new partner Claire.
- Victoria Carling as Emma Lambert, is Simon's mother.
- Mina Anwar as Amita, Jasmin's mother
- Claire Cooper as Claire (series 2), is in an relationship with Susie, she's godmother to Rosie and Jude's daughter Dinah after Susie requested it to make Claire feel welcome into the family. But Claire and Susie plans to travel but face some tensions between Jude and Rosie.
- Hannah Waddingham as Dr Stone (Series 2), works as a doctor at the hospital with Geraldine and Vicky.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||6||August 5, 2014||September 9, 2014|
|2||6||May 3, 2016||June 7, 2016|
Series 1 (2014)
|#||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||UK viewers
|1||"Episode 1"||Kay Mellor||Kay Mellor||5 August 2014||5.07|
|At the local parentcraft class, six pregnant women and their partners are preparing for the arrival of their babies. Housewife Diane, schoolgirl Rosie, newlywed Jasmin, businesswoman Roanna, midwife Vicky, and blog writer and teaching assistant Kim each have their own issues to deal with. Diane and husband Rick are expecting their miracle child having been told they would never conceive. But a late scan reveals more than they bargained for and with mounting pressure on unemployed Rick to provide for his family, drastic measures are taken. Meanwhile, fifteen-year-old Rosie is hiding her pregnancy from everyone – her dad, the school and even her baby's mystery father. Alone and frightened, she turns to Kim's pregnancy blog for support. But with her waistband fit to burst, she won't be able to keep her secret forever.|
|2||"Episode 2"||Kay Mellor||Kay Mellor||12 August 2014||5.30|
|With her husband on the run from the police, Diane struggles to cope with the consequences of Rick's actions. Upset and alone, she turns to Roanna for support. But the stress is causing her Braxton Hicks contractions to return or are the twinges more than just practice labour? Unknown to Diane, Rick is hiding out at Jasmin and Dev's house. But when the police turn up, Jasmin is shocked to learn the real reason Rick is there. With no way to turn, Rick is pushed to the edge in more ways than one. Meanwhile, in the aftermath of Rosie's dad's accident, Kim feels increasingly responsible for her. And when social services come to talk to Rosie about her baby's future, Kim's caring nature is stretched to the limit.|
|3||"Episode 3"||Neasa Hardiman||Kay Mellor||19 August 2014||5.75|
|When Roanna's ex-husband cancels her credit cards, her and Simon's financial future comes into question. With their baby due any day, Roanna suggests going to Simon's parents for help. But Roanna's never actually met them and Simon seems strangely reluctant. Jasmin has an unwelcome visitor and with a question mark looming over her due date, which causes her blood pressure to rise even further. Rosie's dad is still in hospital and social services plan to take her to a mother and baby hostel. But when Rosie threatens to run away with her baby if she's made to go to the hostel, Kim struggles to find a happy solution. Meanwhile Rick is under arrest and awaiting bail, leaving Diane to cope alone as their baby girl fights for her life with an infection.|
|4||"Episode 4"||Neasa Hardiman||Kay Mellor||26 August 2014||5.62|
|With Kim, Rosie and baby Dinah staying at Neil's flat, Kim and Neil struggle to ignore their feelings for each other and their secret threatens to bubble to the surface. Rosie has a shock when she visits her dad in hospital to tell him he's a grandad and her future becomes more uncertain than ever. With her own baby's arrival looming, Vicky gives Dr Bellingham an ultimatum. Elsewhere in the hospital Jasmin's unhappy when she's told they might have to induce her labour early and she confides in Vicky about her 'honeymoon' baby. Roanna struggles with becoming a new mum all over again and the baby blues threaten to eclipse the joy of baby Sonny's arrival. Meanwhile, baby Hope is suffering from jaundice and Diane is torn between being in hospital for Hope and taking care of her family at home.|
|5||"Episode 5"||Sarah O'Gorman||Kay Mellor||2 September 2014||5.84|
|Jasmin is furious as Dr Bellingham induces her labour early. Are her paternity worries about to be answered once and for all? Will the baby be white and will her marriage survive if it is? Things go from bad to worse when she discovers Jack's in the hospital following his fight with Dev. Dr Bellingham is unhappy with Vicky when their relationship accidentally becomes public knowledge. Roanna and Simon move into his parents' house and Roanna feels torn when she visits her daughter Katie. Susie, Kim and Neil's relationship is strained in the aftermath of Rosie's revelation that Jude is the father and Kim tries to mend the fractured family. Meanwhile an anxious Diane and Rick are hopeful as baby Hope is taken off the ventilator, but will she be able to breathe on her own? |
|6||"Episode 6"||Sarah O'Gorman||Kay Mellor||9 September 2014||5.85|
|A twinge in Vicky's abdomen causes panic and her Parentcraft friends think she's in labour. But all is not as it seems and Dr Bellingham is forced to confront his feelings for Vicky. When he confesses a long held secret, Vicky questions whether she'll be able to forgive him. Tensions build as Kim and Susie try to make their relationship work and with Jude, Rosie and baby Dinah living together at Neil's flat, things get even more complicated. When Simon throws a surprise party for Roanna the situation between her and his parents becomes strained. Jasmin and Dev struggle with the challenges of parenthood and tiredness causes mistakes to be made. Meanwhile, Diane and Rick are preparing to finally take baby Hope home but will things go smoothly? Rick's distracted by his impending court hearing will he be able to be there to watch his kids grow up? |
Series 2 (2016)
In September 2014, it was announced that In the Club has been renewed for a second series for another six episodes in 2015. Creator Kay Mellor has said: "I'm absolutely delighted for Rollem Productions to be commissioned to produce a second series of In the Club for BBC One. On a personal note, the whole experience from script to screen was such a positive one for me. It's going to be a bit of a juggling process as I'd love to bring all the characters back but I also want to introduce some new stories. One thing’s for sure, I can’t wait to start the whole process again." BBC One controller Charlotte Moore also mentions: "BBC One viewers really took the characters to their hearts and it was exciting to see the show build across the six episodes. Kay Mellor's story about a group of pregnant women celebrated life in all its joy and tragedy and I'm looking forward to the delivery of series two." Filming for the second series will take place in Leeds in 2015. It was announced in 2015 that Series 2 would air in 2016.
Kay Mellor directed the first two episodes. Her daughter Gaynor Faye (Credited as Gaynor Mellor) wrote Episode 2 alongside Kay Mellor, while Nick Hopkins co-wrote Episode 3 with Kay Mellor.
|#||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||UK viewers (millions)
Sourced directly from BARB
|1 (7)||"Episode 1"||Kay Mellor||Kay Mellor||3 May 2016||5.42|
|Kim is struggling to be the perfect mum, and her relationship with Neil is in jeopardy. As she prepares to see her ex, Susie, for the first time since they split, she is shocked to discover Neil has been keeping things from her. Meanwhile, a hospital visit reveals devastating news for Jasmin and Dev.|
|2 (8)||"Episode 2"||Kay Mellor||Kay Mellor and Gaynor Faye||10 May 2016||4.98|
|Roanna's struggling to find a job and with money running out she reluctantly turns to her ex-husband for help and lies about it to Simon. But it's only a matter of time before all her secrets come spilling out.|
|3 (9)||"Episode 3"||Jane Prowse||Kay Mellor and Nick Hopkins||17 May 2016||4.60|
|When Diane leaves Rick on his own with a house full of babies, things go terribly wrong and their future is thrown into question. An anxious Jasmin and Dev find out if the laser treatment has worked. Meanwhile it's payday for Shelly as she goes into labour.|
|4 (10)||"Episode 4"||Jane Prowse||Kay Mellor||24 May 2016||4.39|
|An anxious Andrew and Nathan prepare to bring baby Sebastian home, but neither of them is prepared for the shocking reality waiting for them at the hospital. Maxine's day is thrown into chaos when her husband tells her he's on his way home.|
|5 (11)||"Episode 5"||Jane Prowse||Kay Mellor||31 May 2016||4.84|
|It's the coroner's hearing and Vicky learns her fate. The Coroner tells the court that Vicky was not at fault. Roanna is horrified when Ray tells her that Katie didn't come home last night and her secrets and lies come tumbling out with devastating results.|
|6 (12)||"Episode 6"||Audrey Cooke||Kay Mellor||7 June 2016||4.95|
|Jasmin and Dev are busy preparing for their daughter Amber's Hindu naming ceremony, but when Vicky arrives to check on the twins their plans are thrown into chaos as Jasmin is rushed into hospital. Will both twins be ok? A heartbroken Roanna has to face the consequences of her actions.|
- Jeffery, Morgan (18 June 2013). "'The Syndicate's Kay Mellor to write new BBC One drama 'In the Club". Digital Spy. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "BBC One announces brand new drama series by Kay Mellor, In The Club". BBC. 18 June 2013. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Cast announced for Kay Mellor's forthcoming BBC One drama, In The Club". BBC. 18 December 2013. Retrieved 18 December 2013.
- Eames, Tom (18 December 2013). "Will Mellor, Tara Fitzgerald, Jill Halfpenny for BBC drama In the Club". Digital Spy. Retrieved 18 December 2013.
- "‘It’s a dream come true!’ Newlywed Hollyoaks ex Claire Cooper is In The Club! - News - Hollyoaks - What's on TV". 1 March 2016.
- "BARB Top 30s".
- BBC, In The Club, Episode One Official Summary BBC.co.uk, Retrieved on 29 August 2014
- BBC, In The Club, Episode Two Official Summary BBC.co.uk, Retrieved on 29 August 2014
- BBC, In The Club, Episode Three Official Summary BBC.co.uk, Retrieved on 29 August 2014
- BBC, In The Club, Episode Four Official Summary BBC.co.uk, Retrieved on 29 August 2014
- BBC, In The Club, Episode Five Official Summary BBC.co.uk, Retrieved on 29 August 2014
- BBC, In The Club, Episode Six Official Summary BBC.co.uk, Retrieved on 31 August 2014
- "BBC One's In the Club renewed for second series". Digital Spy. Retrieved 18 September 2014.
- "In the Club series two: Kay Mellor drama to return to BBC One". The Independent. Retrieved 18 September 2014.
- "Foxtel in May: 200+ new shows including Wayward Pines, Open Slather, Nashville and River Cottage Australia". The Green Room. Foxtel. 29 April 2015. Retrieved 30 April 2015.