In the House (film)
|In the House|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||François Ozon|
|Screenplay by||François Ozon|
|Based on||The Boy in the Last Row|
by Juan Mayorga
|Music by||Philippe Rombi|
|Edited by||Laure Gardette|
|Distributed by||Mars Distribution|
|Box office||$16.2 million|
In the House (French: Dans la maison) is a 2012 French comedy drama directed by François Ozon. The film's screenplay by Ozon is loosely based on Juan Mayorga's play El chico de la última fila (The Boy in the Last Row).
Germain, a middle-aged literature teacher bonds with his 16-year-old student, Claude Garcia, as a tutor in helping to improve his writing skills which leads the precocious and disdainful student to be increasingly transgressive and antisocial with a flair in manipulating relationship dynamics and skill to find his needs satisfied. The student seduces his friend's mother and the teacher's wife. He destroys the teacher's life, but after the events, they remain in touch for their mutual passion in finding stories that excite them.
- Fabrice Luchini as Germain Germain
- Kristin Scott Thomas as Jeanne Germain
- Emmanuelle Seigner as Esther Artole
- Denis Ménochet as Raphael 'Rapha' Artole (Senior).
- Bastien Ughetto as Raphael 'Rapha' Artole (Junior).
- Ernst Umhauer as Claude Garcia
- Yolande Moreau as Rosalie / Eugénie
François Ozon adapted the screenplay from Spanish writer Juan Mayorga's play The Boy in the Last Row. The film was produced through Mandarin Cinéma for a budget of 9.2 million euro. It received support from France 2 Cinéma and Mars Films. Filming took place during eight weeks in August and September 2011.
The film opened in France on 3 October 2012 through Mars Distribution.
In the House earned $9,529,425 in France and $17,860,068 altogether overseas while grossing $389,757 in the United States for a worldwide total of $18,249,825.
The film has received critical acclaim. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 89% of 81 critics gave the film a positive review, for an average rating of 7.4/10. Metacritic gave the film a score of 72 out of 100, based on 25 critics.
- "DANS LA MAISON - IN THE HOUSE (15)". British Board of Film Classification. 22 February 2012. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- "Dans la maison". JP Box Office. Retrieved 5 February 2014.
- "Official Selection Awards". San Sebastián International Film Festival. 29 September 2012. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- Lemercier, Fabien (18 October 2011). "Details revealed about Ozon's Dans La Maison". Cineuropa.org. Retrieved 5 April 2012.
- "Dans la maison". AlloCiné (in French). Retrieved 5 April 2012.
- "In the House (2013) - International Box Office Results". Box Office Mojo. Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to In the House.|