In the Shadows (song)
|"In the Shadows"|
|Single by The Rasmus|
|from the album Dead Letters|
|B-side||See track listing below|
|Released||February 3, 2003 (EU)
March 17, 2004 (UK)
|Format||CD single, 7" vinyl|
|Recorded||June – December 2002 in Stockholm, Sweden|
|Genre||Gothic rock, alternative rock|
|Producer(s)||Mikael Nord, Martin Hansen|
|The Rasmus singles chronology|
"In the Shadows" is a song by Finnish alternative rock band The Rasmus. The single achieved considerable chart success throughout Europe and worldwide, including the United Kingdom, where it reached No. 3, and New Zealand, where it topped the chart. It is included on the group's fifth studio album Dead Letters. The song currently holds the record for performance royalties received abroad on a Finnish composition (overtaking the works of Jean Sibelius).
It was nominated for the Kerrang! Award for Best Single in 2004.
- 1 Music videos
- 2 In popular culture
- 3 Track listing
- 4 Charts and sales
- 5 References
- 6 External links
There are three different music videos for this song, a Finnish (Bandit) version, a European (Crow) version and an American (Mirror) version.
Finnish (Bandit) version – 2003
The video (directed by Finn Andersson for Film Magica Oy in Helsinki, Finland) shows The Rasmus performing on a stage that resembles a helipad, and are in the process of stealing from a bank when the police arrive unexpectedly. Lauri Ylönen is almost caught, but manages to grab onto the safe-door, which is being dragged behind the tow-car that the group uses for the robbery, and goes skidding down the road. He falls off and runs into the woods where police dogs find him. Drummer Aki Hakala then ushers him into the car where Lauri makes his lucky escape and the car drives off. The video was included in the soundtrack of Finnish movie Pahat pojat and footage from the film was used in the video.
European (Crow) version – 2003
The band are placed on a stage in a nondescript location and perform the song. Around the room there are crows flying around, who later break through the small rectangular windows. Towards the end, one crow breaks a light on the ceiling with its wings and the band performs in a shower of sparks. In the end, the band transforms into feathers.
U.S./UK (Mirror) version – 2004
In the video, directed by Philipp Stölzl in Bucharest, Romania, the band are performing a concert in what looks to be an old Victorian mansion. During the verses, a maid is seen constantly busy serving the masters of the house in what appears to be the past of the mansion. The maid sees (lead singer) Lauri and the concert in mirrors on the walls, which causes her to become distracted, making mistakes and dropping trays. Eventually, while despairing over her errors in her room, she sees Lauri and all the fans in her mirror, while the master of the house is approaching with somebody else, possibly the head maid, presumably to reprimand the new maid. Lauri tugs her through the mirror in her room to where they are performing. She then finishes watching the concert. It concludes with the master of the house and the others entering to find the maid's room empty.
"Fourth Version" – 2004
The Rasmus are seen performing in a plain-looking room, similar in appearance to where they perform in the "Crow" version.
In popular culture
"In the Shadows" was released for Guitar Hero: World Tour as downloadable content. It is available as either a single track or as part of the European Track Pack 03 alongside "Break It Out" by Vanilla Sky and "C'est comme ça" by Les Rita Mitsouko. The song was also unlockable in Guitar Rock Tour.
In France, the song is used since 2006 as the title theme for TV show On n'est pas couché.
|1.||"In the Shadows"||4:06|
|2.||"In the Shadows (Revamped)"|
|3.||"First Day of My Life (Acoustic)"|
|UK enhanced CD|
|1.||"In the Shadows"|
|2.||"Everything You Say"|
|4.||"In the Shadows (Video)"|
In other songs
British rapper Smiler extensively sampled "In the Shadows" in his song titled "Brand New Style".
Charts and sales
"Lose Yourself" by Eminem
|Finnish number one single
4/2003 – 5/2003 (2 weeks)
"Lose Yourself" by Eminem
"Aïcha" by Outlandish
|German number one single
August 8, 2003 (1 week)
"Ich Denk an Dich" by Pur
"Fools Love" by Misfits of Science
|New Zealand RIANZ number one single
August 23, 2004 (1 week)
"Getting Stronger" by Adeaze
- "In the Shadows", in various singles charts Lescharts.com (Retrieved June 18, 2008)
- Rock piece by The Rasmus overtakes Sibelius in foreign music royalties
- "Guitar Rock Tour". gameloft.com. Retrieved 12 August 2011.
- "The Rasmus singles, German Singles Chart" (in German). musicline. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Dance Top 40 lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- Irish Single Chart Irishcharts.ie (Retrieved June 18, 2008)
- "Single top 100 over 2003" (pdf) (in Dutch). Top40. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- "Nielsen Music Control". Archived from the original on 2007-06-25.
- Romanian Top 100: Editia 37, saptamina 29.09-05-10, 2003
- "Archive Chart: 2004-04-11" UK Singles Chart.
- 2003 Austrian Singles Chart Austriancharts.at (Retrieved August 11, 2008)
- 2003 Belgian (Flanders) Singles Chart Ultratop.be (Retrieved August 11, 2008)
- 2003 Swiss Singles Chart Hitparade.ch (Retrieved August 11, 2008)
- 2004 Belgian (Flanders) Singles Chart Ultratop.be (Retrieved August 11, 2008)
- 2004 Belgian (Wallonia) Singles Chart Ultratop.be (Retrieved August 11, 2008)
- 2004 French Singles Chart Disqueenfrance.com (Retrieved August 11, 2008)
- 2004 Swiss Singles Chart Hitparade.ch (Retrieved August 11, 2008)
- UK Singles Chart UKChartsPlus (Retrieved September 5, 2014)
- "The Rasmus" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (The Rasmus; 'In the Shadows')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "New Zealand single certifications – The Rasmus – In the Shadows". Recorded Music NZ.
- "Guld- och Platinacertifikat − År 2003" (PDF) (in Swedish). IFPI Sweden.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (The Rasmus; 'In the Shadows')". IFPI Switzerland. Hung Medien.
- "British single certifications – The Rasmus – In the Shadows". British Phonographic Industry. Enter In the Shadows in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Select Silver in the field By Award. Click Search