In the Year 2889
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015)|
|This article is missing information about the film's home media release. (March 2015)|
|In the Year 2889|
Betamax Video Cover
|Directed by||Larry Buchanan|
|Produced by||Larry Buchanan
|Written by||Harold Hoffman
|Cinematography||Robert C. Jessup|
|Edited by||Larry Buchanan|
In the Year 2889 is a 1967 post-apocalyptic, made-for-television science fiction film from American International Pictures about the aftermath of a future nuclear war. The film stars Paul Petersen, Quinn O'Hara, Charla Doherty, Neil Fletcher, and Hugh Feagin. AIP commissioned low-budget cult film auteur Larry Buchanan to produce and direct this film as a color remake of Roger Corman's 1955 film, Day the World Ended.
A nuclear war has wiped out most of Earth's population. The film follows a group of survivors who take refuge in a Dallas mansion from not only the rising radiation levels but a ruthless tough guy and a hoard of cannibalistic mutants.
- Paul Petersen as Steve
- Quinn O'Hara as Jada
- Charla Doherty as Joanna Ramsey
- Neil Fletcher as Captain John Ramsey
- Hugh Feagin as Mickey Brown
- Max W. Anderson as Granger
- Bill Thurman as Tim Henderson
- Byron Lord as Mutant
AIP gave the film's director, Larry Buchanan, the script of the 1955 Roger Corman science-fiction film Day the World Ended to use for this film. This resulted in a almost line-for-line, scene-for-scene remake.
This was Larry Buchanan's fifth Azalea Productions film. It was made by AIP six years after the success of their 1961 Jules Verne adaptation Master of the World. Because this was an even lower budget remake of the earlier low budget Corman film, the film needed a new title; AIP already had a registered title available (for a previously unmade Jules Verne project), so it was used on the Buchanan film.
In the Year 2889 was completed and released in 1967 as a made-for-television movie. All promotional materials, including the original listing in TV Guide, have the title as Year 2889, but the on-screen credits give the correct title. unnec
The film holds an extremely low score of just 2.7/10 from 604 users at the Internet Movie Database.
Home Media Release
|This section requires expansion. (September 2014)|
- Goodsell, Greg. "The Weird and Wacky World of Larry Buchanan". Filmfax (38 April/May 1993): 64.
- "Jules Verne Book: In the Year 2889". JulesVerne.ca.
- Verne, Jules & Verne, Michael, & Metcalf, Lorettus S. (Editor) (February 1889). "In the Year 2889". The Forum VI (6): 662–677.
- "In the Year 2889". ApocalypticMovies.com.
- In The Year 2889 on YouTube
- In the Year 2889 at the Internet Movie Database
- In the Year 2889 is available for free download at the Internet Archive
- In The year 2889 synopsis at B-Movie Central