Inaamulhaq at ‘Aiba Awards’ in Dubai, May 2015
14 November 1979 |
Saharanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India
|Alma mater||National School of Drama|
- Firaaq (2008) as Munna
- Filmistaan (2014) as Aftaab
- Chidiya (film) (Cameo)
- Airlift (2016) as Major Khalaf Bin Zayd
- Jolly LLB 2 (2017) as Mohammed Iqbal Quadri
Early life and career
Born in Saharanpur (Uttar Pradesh, India), Inaamulhaq first appeared on stage at the age of twelve. Later, he joined the Indian People’s Theatre Association (IPTA) in Saharanpur, and acted in numerous plays as a lead. In 2003, he graduated from the National School of Drama (NSD) New Delhi, with specialization in acting.
As an actor, he got his first film break with the critically acclaimed Firaaq in 2008. His first major role in a feature film was the Pakistani national Aaftab, in Nitin Kakkar’s National Award winner Filmistaan (2012), for which he was named in “Top 10 Stand-Out Actors of 2014” by Mid-Day, and “The Most Prominent Debuts of 2014” by IBNlive.com in their Yearender 2014. Inaamulhaq appeared in Askhay Kumar Starrer Airlift. He plays a very essential role of an Iraqi Major Kahalf Bin Zayd who is the main antagonist of the evacuation that the film is based on. Airlift is one of the biggest success of the actor and he has been praised for his acting in it. 'Airlift was slated to release 22nd Jan 2016. Inaamulhaq will be seen in "Jolly LLB2", his second film with Akshay Kumar which is set to release on 10 February 2017.
Madhureeta Mukherjee from Times of India wrote "Inaamulhaq piques the emotions with perfection. The camaraderie between the pure souls who understand only the language of Bollywood is heart-warming". Shubha Shetty-Saha from Mid-Day praised him saying "But it is Inaamulhaq, who steals your heart with the most natural, endearing performance”. Taran Adarsh from Bollywood Hungama wrote “Inaamulhaq too pitches in a fabulous performance, his performance and body language making you forget you’re watching an actor emote”. Sneha May Francis from emirates247.com quotes “Inaamulhaq lends exuberance to Aftaab, capturing his Bollywood dreams, unwavering loyalty and business acumen maturely”. Pratishtha Malhotra from Cine Blitz mentioned in her review “One thing worth mentioning here is how this actor has worked on his detailing, from the dialect that he has maintained throughout the film to the body language. He floors you completely”. Paloma Sharma from Rediff.com wrote “Inaamulhaq is as brilliant as Aftab, neither actor overshadows the other. They complement each other”. Rahul Desai from Mumbai Mirror wrote “Inaamulhaq is uninhibited, and even when his character is saddled with sentiment, he makes you believe that he is a delusional filmmaker scripting his own climax”.
Praising Inaamulhaq’s performance in “Airlift” critic Taran Adarsh stated in his tweet, “Inaamulhaq [Iraqi Major] and Prakash Belawade are terrific”. Joginder Tuteja from moviereviewpreview.com wrote “The surprise of the film though is Inaamulhaq, who plays the Iraqi Major. He transforms himself completely from the Pakistani simpleton part that he played in Filmistaan”. Bollywood Hungama praised him in their review saying “Inaamulhaq as the Amitabh Bachchan fan Iraqi Major Khalaf Bin Zayd is a delight”. Critic Komal Nahta from ETC Bollywood Business stated in his review “Inaamulhaq is entertaining as the Iraqi major”. Newspaper The Indian Express wrote- “Inaamulhaq as Saddam’s man-in-Kuwait, is suitably menacing”. Critic Rohit Sharma wrote on his blog “Inaamul has nailed his character to perfection”. Another film review website filmyinterval.com praised him stating “One surprise package is Inaamulhaq. After his stint in Filmistaan, this talented actor gets a role that might turn around his career. His act of unhindered wickedness and the sadistic approach he portrays towards the Kuwaitis is applaud worthy”. Website pinkvilla.com also mention his performance stating “The film’s supporting cast deserves a special mention, especially Inaamulhaq and Kumud Mishra, who were both great in their respective roles". The Economic Times wrote- “And Inaamulhuq oozes smooth menace as the major”. Website Fansofcinema.com wrote “Especially, Inaamulhaq playing the negative role as Major Khalaf Bin Zayd is best in the whole film”.
Not only from the critics but Inaamulhaq received a huge response from the audience as well. Many Meme Pictures parsing his characterization and speaking style gone viral on various social networking sites.
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role (male) for Filmistaan at 21st Annual Screen Awards
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role (male) for Filmistaan at IBNLive Movie Awards 2015[importance?]
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role (male) for Filmistaan at SICA Awards 2015
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role (male) for Filmistaan at AIBA Awards 2015[importance?]
Inaamulhaq directed two short films – "The Search" (2005) which got nominated for the Best Film Award in competition category at Berlin Asia-Pacific Film Festival-2006 (Germany), and "Parchhaiyaan" (2004), based on an anti-War poem by renowned poet Sahir Ludhianvi.
|2007||Comedy Circus -Season 1||Writer/Associate Content Director||Sony|
|2007||Comedy Circus-Lage Raho||Writer/Associate Content Director||Sony|
|2008||Comedy Circus 2||Writer/Associate Content Director||Sony|
|2008||Comedy Honours||Writer||STAR Gold|
|2008||Comedy Circus-Kante Ki Takkar||Writer/Associate Content Director||Sony|
|2008||Sabse Favourite Koun?||Writer||STAR Gold|
|2008||Arre Deewano Mujhe Pehchano||Content Director||STAR Plus|
|2009||Comedy Circus– Chinchpokli to China||Associate Content Director||Sony|
|2009||Comedy Circus- 20–20||Associate Content Director||Sony|
|2009||Kaho Na Yaar Hai||Associate Creative Director||STAR Plus|
|2009||Comedy Circus-Dekh India Dekh||Associate Content Director||Sony|
|2009||Comedy Circus 3 – Ka Tadka||Associate Content Director||Sony|
|2010||Comedy Circus – MahaSangram||Associate Content Director||Sony|
|2010||Chhote Ustaad-2||Writer||STAR Plus|
|2011||Dekh Video Dekh||Writer||Colors|
|2011||Comedy Ka Maha Muqabala||Act Producer||STAR Plus|
|2013||Nautanki-The Comedy Theatre||Associate Creative Director||Colors|
|2014||Yam Kisi Se Kam Nahi||Writer||EPIC|
|2015||Goldie Ahuja Matric Pass||Writer||DISNEY|
(In alphabetical order)
|Play||Character||Written By||Produced by|
|A Doll's House||Nils Krogstad||Henrik Ibsen||NSD|
|Acchhe Aadmi||Batasu||Phanishwar Nath 'Renu'||NSD|
|Andha Yug||Kripacharya||Dharamvir Bharati||SARGAM-A|
|Arey Shareef Log||Dr. Ghatak||Jaywant Dalvi||IPTA|
|Bade Bhai Sahab||Narrator||Munshi Premchand||IPTA|
|Ek Ladki Paanch Deewane||Solo||Harishankar Parsai||IPTA|
|Ek Tha Gadha urf Aladad Khan||Chintak-1||Sharad Joshi||IPTA|
|Inspector Matadeen Chand Par||Matadeen||Harishankar Parsai||BNA/NSD|
|Julius Caesar||Various Characters||William Shakespeare||NSD|
|Kabuli Wala||Narrator||Rabindranath Tagore||NSD|
|King Lear||Edgar||William Shakespeare||NSD|
|Kiska Haath||ChetuRam||Satish De||ADACAAR|
|Ladai||Various Character||Sarveshwar Dayal Saxena||NATYA|
|Panchhi Aise Aate Hain||Anna Paradker||Vijay Tendulkar||NAVANKUR|
|Rasik Sampadak||Sampadak Chokhelal||Munshi Premchand||IPTA|
|Saint Joan||Dauphin, Charles VII||George Bernard Shaw||NSD|
|The Nose||Ivan Yakovlevich||Nikolai Gogol||IPTA|
|Shanichar Ka Chakkar||Various Character||Improvised||IPTA/ITC|
|Singhasan Khali Hai||Teen||Sushil Kumar Singh||IPTA|
|Tajmahal Ka Tender||Shahjahan||Ajay Shukla||IPTA|
|Thank You Mr. Glad||Various Characters||Anil Berve||SARGAM-A|
|The Illusion||Alcandre, A Magician||Tony Kushner||NSD|
|The Just Assassins||Ivan Kaliayev||Albert Camus||NSD|
|The Obsession||Various Characters||Improvised||IPTA|
|Kheench Rahe Hain||Various Character||Ravi Deep||IPTA|
|Yahudi Ki Larki||Azra||Agha Hashar Kashmiri||NSD|
- "Inaamulhaq won “Best Actor in a Supporting Role Award” @ AIBA Awards 2015". inaamulhaq.com/. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- "Screen Profile". Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- "Filmistaan is the voice of a person’s heart from India with a message of love to a Pakistani". bollyspice.com/. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- "Meaningful cinema is my priority". magnamags.com/. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- "Rebel with all cause and no pause". www.indiainfoline.com/. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- "Firaaq". Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- "Filmistaan- Review". gulfnews.com/. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- "Inaamulhaq Comes up with Chidiya". ajournalistreveals.com/. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- AIRLIFT - Dialogue Promo. T-Series. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- "Inaamulhaq to again work with Akshay Kumar". timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.
- "BHTB". Retrieved 29 March 2014.
- "National School Of Drama graduates". Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- "National Award to Filmistaan". Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- "2014 Recap: Bollywood's dark horses that stole the show this year". Mid-Day. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- "Yearender 2014: The most prominent debuts in Bollywood this year". IBNlive. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- "Airlift- Dialogue Promo-3". Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- "I don't want to be a henchman in big starry film: Inaamulhaq". Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- "What critics say about Inaamulhaq’s performance in ‘Filmistaan Reviews’". Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Filmistaan Movie Review". timesofindia.indiatimes.com/. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Movie review: 'Filmistan'". www.mid-day.com. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Movies This Month:Filmistaan". www.bollywoodhungama.com/. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Bollywood review: ‘Filmistaan’ finds Salman Khan a fitting substitute". www.emirates247.com. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Filmistaan Review". Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Review: Filmistaan is absolutely flawless". www.rediff.com. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Movie Review: Filmistaan". www.mumbaimirror.com/. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "What critics say about Inaamulhaq’s performance in ‘Airlift Reviews’.". Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Taran Adarsh on Twitter". Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Review: Airlift – A stunning Film Where Realism Meets Entertainment". Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Airlift Review". Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Airlift – Review by Komal Nahta". Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Airlift review: Akshay’s film is well executed and well-acted - See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/movie-review/airlift-movie-reivew-akshay-kumar/#sthash.IQOkmZDn.dpuf". Retrieved 27 February 2016. External link in
- "Airlift Review : Akshay Kumar lifts Bollywood". Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "The Pinkvilla Movie Review-Airlift". Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "'Airlift' review: Amazing acting, editing & scale". Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Airlift Review: Biggest Human Evacuation Tale". Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Please raise your hand if you are impressed with his speaking style in Airlift". Facebook.com. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "Am i the only one who loved his acting in Airlift". Facebook.com. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "21st Annual Screen Awards-Winners". Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "IBNLive Movie Awards 2015". Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- "SICA Awards".
- "Aiba Awards Winners List". Retrieved 26 June 2015.
- "IIFA 2015 Nominations". Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- "The Search's official page". Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "Comedy Circus". Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "Mandy Profile". Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- "Theatre Gallery". Retrieved 13 April 2014.