Inayatullah (Guantanamo detainee 10029)
|Hajji Nassim (Inayatullah)|
May 18, 2011 (aged 36–37)|
|Alternate name||Hajji Nassim|
|Status||Suicide in the Guantanamo camp|
Inayatullah, born Hajji Nassim (1974–2011) was a citizen of Afghanistan who was arrested in 2007 and transferred that year to be held as an enemy combatant in the United States Guantanamo Bay detainment camps, in Cuba. His Guantanamo Internment Serial Number was 10029. Inayatullah was held in Guantanamo for 3 years, 8 months, and 22 days until his death by apparent suicide.
"Inayatullah met with local operatives, developed travel routes and coordinated documentation, accommodation and vehicles for smuggling unlawful combatants throughout countries including Afghanistan, Iran, Pakistan and Iraq." — US Department of Defense
Inayatullah was the 19th captive to have been transferred to Guantanamo since September 6, 2006.
Prior to the transfer on that date of fourteen high value detainees, who had previously been held elsewhere in secret detention centers run by the CIA, the USA had not transferred any captives to Guantanamo since the United States Supreme Court ruling in Rasul v. Bush (2004). The court ruled that foreign nationals (non-US citizens) held in Guantanamo Bay had the right of habeas corpus in US courts to challenge their imprisonments. In late November 2008, the New York Times published a page summarizing the official documents related to each captive. The New York Times said that no further official records of his detention and no Combatant Status Review Tribunal findings had been published. They identified him as identified captive 10029.
Detention in Guantanamo
The detainee called Inayatullah was later identified as a native-born Afghani named Hajji Nassim, according to his lawyer. He was arrested in an Iranian border town near Afghanistan in 2007. His attorney said he operated a cellphone store there. He was transferred after that date to Guantanamo, after having been held elsewhere by the US. He was among 19 persons transferred to the camp after September 6, 2006.
On May 18, 2011, Inayatullah was found dead either in his cell or in a recreation area. The cause of his death is unknown but the US military released a statement saying that he died in an "apparent suicide". It said he had been an emir and a member of Al Qaeda. He was the eighth prisoner to die at Guantanamo; five of the previous deaths were reported by the Department of Defense (DOD) as suicides. Three of these were contested as manslaughter in an award-winning article by Harper's Magazine in January 2010, based on accounts by four soldiers who had been serving at the camp at the time of the deaths in June 2006.
On June 28, 2011, Carol Rosenberg, writing in the Miami Herald, reported that Pentagon spokesman Dave Oten confirmed that Inayatullah had been classed as an "indefinite detainee" by the Obama administration.  "Indefinite detainee" was a new designation used by the joint interagency review boards which President Obama authorized for those captives who had not committed a crime for which they could face charges, but who were not considered safe to release.
Rosenberg quoted doubts expressed by the American Paul Rashkind, Inayatullah's attorney, about the DoD's account. Rashkind told Rosenberg that the man was named Hajji Nassim and that he was not known as "Inayatullah" anywhere other than at Guantanamo. He had not been an "emir". Rashkind confirmed that his client had been living in an Iranian border town near Afghanistan when he was arrested, where he had operated a cellphone store. He had no ties to al Qaeda, the Taliban, or terrorism.
Rashkind told Rosenberg that Nassim had a history of mental illness and had spent long periods in Guantanamo's Psychiatric Ward. He had brought a third-party specialist in to help treat his client, and the attorney had planned to have a psychiatric profile completed, believing that would have helped him be cleared by DOD for release. Rashkind confirmed that his client had made earlier suicide attempts, and he did not doubt that his death was suicide.
Joint Review Task Force
When he assumed office in January 2009 President Barack Obama made a number of promises about the future of Guantanamo. He promised the use of torture would cease at the camp. He promised to institute a new review system. That new review system was composed of officials from six departments, where the OARDEC reviews were conducted entirely by the Department of Defense. When it reported back, a year later, the Joint Review Task Force classified some individuals as too dangerous to be transferred from Guantanamo, even though there was no evidence to justify laying charges against them. On April 9, 2013, that document was made public after a Freedom of Information Act request. Muhammad Rahim was one of the 71 individuals deemed too innocent to charge, but too dangerous to release. Although Obama promised that those deemed too innocent to charge, but too dangerous to release would start to receive reviews from a Periodic Review Board less than a quarter of men have received a review.
- "Afghan suspect transferred to Guantanamo: Pentagon". Washington Post. September 12, 2007. Archived from the original on November 3, 2012. Retrieved 2007-09-18.
- "Terror Suspect Transferred To Guantanamo". United States Department of Defense. September 12, 2007. Retrieved 2008-06-18. mirror
Carol Rosenberg (2011-06-28). "Latest Guantánamo prison camp suicide was 'indefinite detainee': The last two men to leave Guantánamo, both dead, were among the secret population of captives called "indefinite detainees."". Miami Herald. Retrieved 2012-05-05.
An Afghan man who was found hanging from a bedsheet at Guantánamo last month was held by the Pentagon as an "indefinite detainee" — an Obama administration designation originally conferred on 48 captives at the prison camps in Cuba.mirror
- "US sends Afghan to Guantanamo Bay". BBC News. September 13, 2007. Archived from the original on 2012-05-05. Retrieved 2007-09-18.
- Andy Worthington (September 20, 2007). "Myopic Pentagon keeps filling Guantanamo". Archived from the original on 2012-05-05. Retrieved 2008-06-18.
- Margot Williams. "Guantanamo Docket: Inayatullah". New York Times. Archived from the original on 2016-03-03. Retrieved 2016-08-14.
- "Guantanamo Bay: Afghan prisoner 'kills himself'". BBC News. 2011-05-19. mirror
- Margot Williams (2008-11-23). "The Detainees". New York Times. Archived from the original on 2008-11-06. Retrieved 2008-12-02.
- Carol Rosenberg, "Latest Guantánamo prison camp suicide was 'indefinite detainee'", Miami Herald, at McClatchy website, 28 June 2011, accessed 3 January 2013, mirror
"Afghan prisoner at Gitmo dies in apparent suicide". Toronto Star. 2011-05-18. Archived from the original on 2012-05-05. Retrieved 2011-05-19.
The prisoner, identified as Inayatullah, a 37-year-old accused of being a member of Al Qaeda, was found dead by guards conducting routine checks at the facility.
- Alex Eichler (May 19, 2011). "Afghan Prisoner at Guantanamo Dies in Apparent Suicide". The Atlantic. Archived from the original on 2012-05-05.
- "NEWS RELEASE: Detainee death at Guantanamo Bay". US Southern Command Public Affairs. 2011-05-18. Archived from the original on 2011-05-29. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- "Afghan Detainee Is Found Dead at Guantánamo". New York Times. 2011-05-18. Archived from the original on 2012-05-05. Retrieved 2012-05-05.
- Reuters, "Afghan Detainee Is Found Dead at Guantanamo", New York Times, 18 May 2011, mirror, accessed 3 January 2013
- Peter Finn (January 22, 2010). "Justice task force recommends about 50 Guantanamo detainees be held indefinitely". Washington Post. Archived from the original on 2015-05-19. Retrieved July 21, 2010.
- Peter Finn (May 29, 2010). "Most Guantanamo detainees low-level fighters, task force report says". Washington Post. Archived from the original on 2015-05-19. Retrieved July 21, 2010.
- Andy Worthington (June 11, 2010). "Does Obama Really Know or Care About Who Is at Guantánamo?". Archived from the original on 2010-06-16. Retrieved July 21, 2010.
- "71 Guantanamo Detainees Determined Eligible to Receive a Periodic Review Board as of April 19, 2013". Joint Review Task Force. 2013-04-09. Archived from the original on 2015-05-19. Retrieved 2015-05-18.