|Headquarters||Redwood Shores, CA, United States|
Marc Gaffan, VP Marketing & Business Development
Security as a Service
Incapsula Inc. is a cloud-based application delivery platform. It uses a global content delivery network to provide website security, DDoS protection, load balancing and failover services to clients.
Incapsula was founded in 2009 by Gur Shatz and Marc Gaffan. The company originally operated under the company Imperva (NYSE:IMPV), a US-based data security company who owned 85% of the company. It was spun out from Imperva in 2009 and reported to be growing at a rate of 50% per quarter as of August 2013. It was also reported that Imperva has increased its ownership in the company since it was spun out in 2009.
Incapsula was attributed with protecting against one of the Internet's largest attacks on a website as of October 2013. The attack was said to have lasted nine hours with 100 Gigabits of traffic at its peak. The attack was against BTC China, a bitcoin and yuan trading platform.
Service and features
Incapsula has different features that are used in the security and performance of websites. These include web application firewall (WAF), DDoS mitigation and a content delivery network (CDN), which Incapsula uses for proxy acceleration and caching.
Incapsula WAF provides solutions to protect websites against SQL injections, cross site scripting, illegal resource access and all other OWASP top ten threats, and web 2.0 threats including comment spam, fake registrations, site scraping and malicious bots. It works by changing a website's Domain Name System (DNS) record to route the website traffic through Incapsula. Incapsula then filters out malicious attacks from bots and website scrappers. Incapsula also has a content delivery network that caches websites on their server network to speed up website load time. The cached information is returned from a server closest to the end user in order to provide fast page loads. This also eliminates slow response from central servers due to heavy server traffic.
Incapsula launched a tool named Backdoor Protect in 2013. The tool is reported to detect and disable malicious backdoors and also protect from backdoor threats. The tool works by comparing a website's traffic against a database of known backdoors. Later that year, the company announced Login Protect, a two factor authentication feature as an integrated addition to its products. Incapsula also announced in 2013 that it would be implementing Layer 7 load balancing capabilities.
Awards and recognition
In 2011 Incapsula was chosen as one of the Top 10 companies to participate in RSA Conference Innovation Sandbox. The same year they were a finalist for the Red Herring Top 100 North America Award. Incapsula was named #1 for Best Cloud Based Security CDN by WeRockYourWeb.
- Shatz, Gur (25 April 2012). "9 Things Businesses Need to Know About Web Security". Mashable. Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- Cohan, Peter (13 August 2013). "Incapsula's Growing 50% A Quarter By Blocking DDoS Attacks". Forbes. Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- "Management". Incapsula Website. Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- Schwartz, Matthew J. (9 January 2013). "US Bank Hack Attack Techniques Identified". Information Week. Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- Reilly, Allison Midori (20 October 2011). "Protect Your Website, and Boost Its Speed, With Incapsula". Small Biz Technology. Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- Lemos, Robert (9 August 2012). "Gather Intelligence On Web Bots To Aid Defense". Dark Reading. Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- Kerner, Sean Michael (1 October 2013). "Latest 100 Gigabit Attack Is One of Internet's Largest". eWeek. Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- Leyden, John Leyden (17 October 2013). "How mystery DDoSers tried to take down Bitcoin exchange with 100Gbps crapflood". The Register UK. Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- Cohan, Peter (11 September 2001). "Incapsula's Cloud Shields, Accelerates Your System". Forbes. Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- "Website Acceleration Performance". Incapsula. Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- Kumar, Mohit (30 January 2013). "Incapsula Introduces Backdoor Protect". The Hacker News. Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- Selvan, Sabari (1 July 2013). "Incapsula Login Protection – Boost Your Website Security with Two Factor Authentication". Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- "Incapsula Brings Layer 7 Load Balancing Into the Cloud". Broadway World. 15 October 2013. Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- "2011 RSA Conference Innovation Sandbox". RSA Conference. January 2011. Retrieved 2011-12-19.
- Wedel, Xenia Von (8 May 2013). "Finalists Announce for the 2013 Red Herring Top 100 North America Award". Virtualization Journal. Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- "2013 Best Cloud Based Security Reviews and Comparison". We Rock Your Web.