|Elevation||335 ft (102 m)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||671662|
Although an unincorporated community, Independence has a zip code of 38638.
During the Civil War, R.W. Locke organized a company of soldiers in Buck Snort, which was dispatched to Virginia where they became Company D of the 42d Mississippi Infantry Regiment. Locke was elected company captain.
The population in 1900 was 100.
By 1907, Independence had a post office, several stores, two churches, and a school.
- Hugh Freeze, head coach of the Ole Miss Rebels football team at the University of Mississippi.
- Michael Conner Humphreys, actor who played Young Forrest Gump in Forrest Gump
- "Independence". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Mississippi. 1. Goodspeed Publishing Company. 1891. p. 638.
- "Tate County and the Civil War". MSGenWeb. Retrieved July 2015. Check date values in:
- Rowland, Dunbar (1907). Mississippi: Comprising Sketches of Counties, Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons, Arranged in Cyclopedic Form. 1. Southern Historical Publishing Association. p. 921.
- "Hugh Freeze". Olemisssports. Retrieved July 2015. Check date values in: