July 4th celebrations at the Grayson County Courthouse, 2006
Location of Independence, Virginia
|• Total||2.3 sq mi (6.1 km2)|
|• Land||2.3 sq mi (6.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||2,680 ft (817 m)|
|• Density||415.1/sq mi (160.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1498495|
Independence is a town in Grayson County, Virginia, United States. The population was 947 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Grayson County. Independence is home to a major town celebration on July 4 every year, held in front of the 1908 courthouse. It features bluegrass and old-time music and dance, food, crafts and a wild pony sale. The courthouse is also the location of the Mountain Foliage Festival, held in the autumn and featuring a parade, crafts, arts and music, as well as a race in which contestants use outhouses, the Grand Privy Race.
Independence is located at (36.622906, -81.151735).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.3 square miles (6.1 km²), all land.
Grayson County has a particularly mountainous terrain, specifically in the western half. Grayson county contains 4 of Virginia's 5 highest peaks including Pine Mountain and Whitetop Mountain.
As of the census of 2000, there were 971 people, 426 households, and 226 families residing in the town. The population density was 415.1 people per square mile (160.2/km²). There were 497 housing units at an average density of 212.5 per square mile (82.0/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 90.73% White, 6.80% African American, 1.24% from other races, and 1.24% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.68% of the population.
There were 426 households out of which 19.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 39.9% were married couples living together, 8.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 46.9% were non-families. 44.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 27.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.98 and the average family size was 2.73.
In the town, the population was spread out with 14.4% under the age of 18, 7.1% from 18 to 24, 21.1% from 25 to 44, 22.7% from 45 to 64, and 34.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 51 years. For every 100 females there were 81.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82.2 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $18,264, and the median income for a family was $30,441. Males had a median income of $21,058 versus $16,705 for females. The per capita income for the town was $16,137. About 10.5% of families and 19.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 29.7% of those under age 18 and 16.2% of those age 65 or over.
- Wade Ward, old-time musician.
The climate in this area has mild differences between highs and lows, and there is adequate rainfall year-round. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Independence has a marine west coast climate, abbreviated "Cfb" on climate maps.
- Fussell, Fred C. (2003). Blue Ridge Music Trails: Finding a Place in the Circle. North Carolina Folklife Institute. 080785459X.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Archived from the original on May 31, 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Fussell, pgs. 76 - 77
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- Climate Summary for Independence, Virginia