Independence Day Award
|Independence Day Award|
স্বাধীনতা দিবস পুরস্কার
Awarded by |
Government of Bangladesh
|Next (lower)||Ekushey Padak|
The Independence Day Award (Bengali: স্বাধীনতা পদক), also termed Independence Award (Bengali: স্বাধীনতা পুরস্কার), Swadhinata Padak, and Swadhinata Puroskar, is the highest state award given by the government of Bangladesh. Introduced in 1977, this award is bestowed upon Bangladeshi citizens or organizations in recognition of substantial contribution to one of many fields, including the War of Liberation, the Language Movement, education, literature, journalism, public service, science and technology, medical science, social science, song, games and sports, fine arts, rural development, and other areas.
Each awardee receives a gold medal, a certificate of honour, and a sum of cash. The amount of the cash reward was originally 20,000 takas, but was subsequently increased to 100,000 takas in 2004. A cabinet committee on national awards prepares the list of each year's nominees and forwards the list to the head of the government for final approval. The award is traditionally presented on the eve of Independence day in Bangladesh at a much publicized ceremony attended by several cabinet and parliament members and distinguished society guests.
In 2006, the award generated some controversy as the initial list was not accepted by the Prime Minister, some government ministers had expressed concern over the nomination of three fellow ministers. Furthermore, the award to the Rapid Action Battalion was criticized by many because of RAB's alleged involvement in extrajudicial killings.
Awards by decade
- List of Independence Day Award recipients (1977–79)
- List of Independence Day Award recipients (1980–89)
- List of Independence Day Award recipients (1990–99)
- List of Independence Day Award recipients (2000–09)
- List of Independence Day Award recipients (2010–19)
- Independence Day Award, Cabinet Division, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh Archived 2011-07-06 at the Wayback Machine.
- Khan, Sanjida (2012). "National Awards". In Islam, Sirajul; Jamal, Ahmed A. Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- Rahman, Syedur (2010). Historical Dictionary of Bangladesh. Scarecrow Press. p. 349. ISBN 978-0-8108-7453-4.
- Booklet of Independence Award 2007. Cabinet Division. Government of the People's Republic of Bangladesh. pp. 1
- "Rab, Betar on revised list of nominees". The Daily Star. 2005-03-14. Retrieved 2008-01-16.
- "SC Bar demands judicial probe into 'crossfire' killings". Law & Our Rights. The Daily Star. BD News. 2006-04-01. Retrieved 2008-01-16.
- List of awardees, Cabinet Division, Bangladesh Government