This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founded||September 22, 1989|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, U.S.|
|Sally Jo Fifer, President and CEO|
|Services||Funding diverse storytelling & filmmakers|
Number of employees
ITVS (Independent Television Service) is a service in the United States which funds and presents documentaries on public television through distribution by PBS and American Public Television, new media projects on the Internet, and the weekly series Independent Lens on PBS. Some ITVS programs are produced along with organizations like Latino Public Broadcasting and KQED.
ITVS was established through legislation by the United States Congress in 1988, “to expand the diversity and innovativeness of programming available to public broadcasting,” and began funding new programming via production licensing agreements in 1990. From 2005-2010, it expanded its reach through the creation of the Global Perspectives Project, which facilitated the international exchange of documentary films made by independent producers. ITVS is funded by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB), and is based in San Francisco. In 2017, ITVS was named the recipient of a Peabody Institutional Award for its contributions to storytelling in television; the Peabody board of jurors cited "an accomplished range of work as rich as any broadcaster or funder."
- "'Independent Lens' Refocuses: Anthology Series Now Curated by ITVS and PBS (Documentary magazine)" (web). Retrieved 2017-03-22.
- "100th Congress House Bill" (web). Retrieved 2017-03-16.
- "Congressional Record 134" (pdf). Retrieved 2017-03-16.
- "Current News: Independent Television Service, Inc. Articles of Incorporation, 1989" (web). Retrieved 2017-03-22.
- "ITVS Funding" (web). Retrieved 2017-03-17.
- "Institutional Award: Independent Television Service (ITVS)" (web). Retrieved 2017-04-11.
- Official ITVS site
- Independent Lens | PBS
|This article about a media company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|