India Habitat Centre
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Indian Habitat Center|
|Bharat Paryaavaas Kendra|
|Location||Lodhi Road, New Delhi|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Joseph Allen Stein|
The India Habitat Centre is a multipurpose building in New Delhi, India. Mixing work, commercial and social spaces, the Indian Habitat Centre is one of India’s most comprehensive convention centres.
History and design
The India Habitat Centre was started in 1993. The public agency for Housing and Urban Development Corporation Ltd (HUDCO) wanted an office building for its workers and made the unprecedented decision to invite chosen non-profit organisations that shared their concern with habitat to share that work space.
The chairman of HUDCO and the architect Joseph Allen Stein decided to radically change the traditional image of an office building as an architectural project and transformed it into an urban design project. The space was designed to permit the members of the Centre to share services both inside and outside the building with multiple courtyards, common meeting rooms, shared parking area, library, restaurants, museum, and hotels, some of which are open to the general public. Constructed on nine acres in an urban area, the building eschewed traditional building materials and techniques.
Events and exhibitions
Numerous events are held in the premises of the India Habitat Center such as the Times LitFest. Various workshops are also conducted such as art, dance and film workshops. Photography exhibitions and talk are a popular feature in the center. Film screenings are also conducted such as those by Kriti Film Club which are open to for public.
In 2009, the India Habitat Centre co-hosted the Habitat Summit with Mirabilis Advisory and Urban Habitats Forum, a professional civil society initiative whose primary purpose is to serve as a multi-disciplinary public awareness and educational platform, and to facilitate positive change in India’s cities by engaging all stakeholders of society in shaping India’s built environment. Held in September, the Summit served as a communication vehicle to position key policy issues and to highlight opportunities for positive change by showcasing community-oriented urban renewal projects.
IHC started organising and hosting the Delhi Photo Festival held every two years since 2011. The partnership between India Habitat Centre (IHC) and Nazar Foundation (parent body of Delhi Photo Festival) was dissolved in early 2015 and Delhi Photo Festival 2015 was held at Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA).
List of organisations
Sharing a common concern for habitat, the following organisations have come together to participate in institution-building, evolving a synergy within the India Habitat Centre complex.
- Association of Indian Automobile Manufacturers
- All India Brick & Tile Manufacturers Federation
- All India Housing Development Association
- Building Materials & Technology Promotion Council
- Central Building Research Institute
- Centre for Development Studies & Activities (CDSA)
- Centre for Science & Environment
- Centre for Science & Technology of the Non-Aligned & Other Developing Countries
- Confederation of Indian Industry
- Consultancy Development Centre
- Council for Advancement of People's Action & Rural Technology
- Council of Architecture
- Delhi Management Association
- Delhi Policy Group
- Delhi Urban Art Commission
- Foundation for Universal Responsibility of His Holiness The Dalai Lama
- Housing & Urban Development Corporation Ltd.
- Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd.
- Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations
- Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Ltd.
- Indo-French Centre for the Promotion of Advanced Research
- Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services Ltd.
- Institute of Social Studies Trust
- International Labour Organisation
- MacArthur Foundation
- MCD Slum & JJ Department
- National Foundation for India
- National Capital Region - Planning Board
- National Housing Bank
- National Institute of Design
- National Institute of Urban Affairs
- Population Council
- Research and Information System for the Non-Aligned & Other Developing Countries
- Society for Development Studies
- The Energy and Resources Institute
- University of Pennsylvania Institute for the Advanced Study of India
- Vikram Sarabhai Foundation
- Speco Engineering Pvt Ltd
- Centre, India Habitat. "IHC | India Habitat Centre - Home". www.indiahabitat.org. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "Joseph Allen Stein | India Habitat Center | Archnet". archnet.org. Retrieved 2018-06-17.
- "Times Litfest Delhi 2017: Day 2". The Times of India. Retrieved 2018-06-17.
- Centre, India Habitat. "India Habitat Centre - Calendar of Events". indiahabitat.org. Retrieved 2018-06-17.
- Centre, India Habitat. "India Habitat Centre - Habitat Film Club". www.indiahabitat.org. Retrieved 2018-06-17.
- "The New Intimate". Tehelka. Vol 8, Issue 39, Dated 01 Oct 2011. Retrieved 2013-09-21. Check date values in:
- Khurana, Tushar. "Making the Frame". The Hindu. Retrieved 2013-09-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to India Habitat Centre.|