India Post Payments Bank
|Type||Division of Indian Post|
|Founded||1 September 2018|
|Owner||India Post, Department of Post, Ministry of Communications, Government of India|
India Post Payments Bank, abbreviated as IPPB, is a division of India Post which is under the ownership of the Department of Post, a department under Ministry of Communications of the Government of India. Opened in 2018, as of January 2022, the bank has more than 5 crore customers.
On 19 August 2015, the India Post received licence to run a payments bank from the Reserve Bank of India. On 17 August 2016, it was registered as a public limited government company for setting up a payments bank. IPPB is operating with the Department of Posts under Ministry of Communications.
The pilot project of IPPB was inaugurated on 30 January 2017 at Raipur and Ranchi. In August 2018, the Union Cabinet approved a cost of ₹1,435 crore (US$180 million) for setting up the bank. The first phase of the bank with 650 branches and 3,250 post offices as access points was inaugurated on 1 September 2018. Over ten thousand postmen have been roped into the first phase. By September 2020, the bank had acquired about 3.5 crore customers. The bank had acquired about 4 crore customers by December 2020. In January 2022, India Post Payments Bank has crossed 5 crore customers mark. 
This section needs additional citations for verification. (July 2021)
The bank also provides features like:
- Account: The bank offers savings and current accounts up to a balance of ₹2 Lakh.
- QR Card: Customers can use QR code payments eliminating the need to remember account numbers, PINs and passwords.
- Unified Payments Interface
- Immediate Payment Service
- National Electronic Funds Transfer
- Real-time gross settlement
- Bharat BillPay
- Direct Benefit Transfer
- RuPay Debit Card
- AEPS(Adhaar Enabled Payment Service)
IPPB has been allowed to link around 17 crore postal savings bank (PSB) accounts with its accounts.
- "About IPPB - IPPB". ippbonline.com. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- "All you want to know about...India Post Payment Bank". @businessline. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- Press Information Bureau. "Cabinet approves Revised Cost Estimate for setting up of India Post Payments Bank". pib.nic.in. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- "India Post Payments Bank launched: Some important facts about IPPB". dna. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- Agarwal, Nikhil (4 September 2018). "India Post Payments Bank replaces ATM/debit cards with QR cards. How to use them". Livemint. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- Sharma, Devansh (20 August 2018). "Your friendly neighbourhood postman is about to become a banker". The Economic Times. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- Sengupta, Devina; Singh, Karunjit (31 August 2018). "Government expects India post payments bank to be profitable after 2 years: Communications minister Manoj Sinha". The Economic Times. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- "India Post Payments Bank adds 2.48 crore customers in a year". September 2020.
- "India Post Payments Bank customer base crosses 5-crore mark". The Economic Times. Retrieved 19 January 2022.
- Gupta, Komal (3 September 2018). "Explained: India Post Payments Bank, in 5 points". Livemint. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- "India Post Payments Bank will deliver banking services to every Indian's doorstep, says PM Modi". www.businesstoday.in. Retrieved 27 September 2018.
- Livemint (31 August 2018). "India Post Payments Bank launched: 10 things to know". Mint. Retrieved 27 September 2018.