|Directed by||S. Shankar|
|Produced by||Subaskaran Allirajah|
|Music by||Anirudh Ravichander|
|Edited by||A. Sreekar Prasad|
|Budget||est. ₹ 200 Crore |
Indian 2 is an upcoming Indian Tamil-language vigilante action film directed by S. Shankar. A sequel to the 1996 film Indian, the film is being produced by Subaskaran Allirajah‘s Lyca Productions. The film stars Kamal Haasan and Nedumudi Venu reprising their roles as Senapathy and Krishnaswamy respectively from the first installment, with Aditya Roy Kapur, Kajal Aggarwal, Siddharth, Rakul Preet Singh, Vivek and Priya Bhavani Shankar newly joining the cast. Bollywood actor Vidyut Jammwal is touted to be playing the lead antagonist. The film features music composed by Anirudh, collaborating for the first time with Kamal Haasan and Shankar. Cinematography and editing will be handled by R. Rathnavelu and A. Sreekar Prasad, respectively.
- Kamal Haasan as Senapathy
- Kajal Aggarwal
- Rakul Preet Singh
- Priya Bhavani Shankar
- Bobby Simha
- Vennela Kishore
- Vidyut Jammwal
- Anant Mahadevan
- Nedumudi Venu as Krishnasamy
- Delhi Ganesh
Shankar began discussing plans to make a sequel to his 1996 film, Indian, as early as May 2015. Initial discussions were held with the producer of the original film, A. M. Rathnam of Sri Surya Movies, who stated it was too early to talk about the project. Shankar later became busy with the production of 2.0 (2018) and delayed starting the project, but he continued working on a story theme for Indian 2. In late September 2017, the film was then publicly announced during the finale of the Tamil reality television show Bigg Boss Tamil in Chennai. The show's host Kamal Haasan, who also played the lead in the original film, was confirmed as the lead actor and Dil Raju was announced as the film's producer for his film studio Sri Venkateswara Creations.
Allirajah Subaskaran of Lyca Productions took over as the film's producer in October 2017, after Dil Raju opted out. Ravi Varman and T. Muthuraj joined the team as the cinematographer and art director respectively, while Shankar decided to work with Anirudh Ravichander rather than his regular collaborators A. R. Rahman and Harris Jayaraj for the film. Writers Jeyamohan, Kabilan Vairamuthu and Lakshmi Saravanakumar were all signed on to help complete the film's script and dialogues.
Despite several proposed announcements of starting dates, the film's shoot was delayed throughout 2018 owing to Shankar's commitments with 2.0, which also faced significant production delays. Kamal Haasan also decided to use the time to release his long-delayed Vishwaroopam II (2018) and commit to his political career. Muthuraj began working on the production design during November 2018, as the film's shoot was scheduled to start in early 2019.
Nayanthara was considered for the leading female role, before Kajal Aggarwal was finalised. For her role, the actress learnt the basics of the Indian martial arts form Kalaripayattu. Siddharth was confirmed to play another role in the film, after the team had initially held discussions with the likes of Silambarasan, Dulquer Salmaan and Arya for the same character.
Ajay Devgn agreed to play the antagonist in the film, but production delays meant that he could not commit dates for the films. Akshay Kumar, Abhishek Bachchan and John Abraham were considered as replacements, but neither actor was signed.  Other actors including Nedumudi Venu, Delhi Ganesh and RJ Balaji were also signed to portray supporting roles in the film.
Closer to the start of the second schedule, actors Vidyut Jammwal and Bobby Simha, and actresses Priya Bhavani Shankar were signed on for roles. Rakul Preet Singh also joined the film to star opposite the character essayed by Siddharth. Actors Samuthirakani and Vivek also joined the cast in supporting roles.
A series of promotional posters featuring Kamal Haasan in his character were released in early January 2019 and production subsequently started on 18 January 2019. A week-long shoot was held at a memorial home near Government General Hospital in Chennai, before the team also shot scenes at a nearby film studio. However the film was again delayed after the makers had trouble with the created sets. The shoot was pushed further owing to the Indian general election in May 2019, where Kamal Haasan's political party participated. Throughout the development process in 2018 and early 2019, the makers regularly denied media reports that the film had been shelved. Owing to the long break between the schedules, Ravi Varman also left the project after becoming committed to Mani Ratnam's Ponniyin Selvan, and was replaced by Rathnavelu.
The second schedule began on 12 August 2019, with scenes featuring Rakul Preet Singh being shot.
- Upadhyaya, Prakash (2019-08-08). "Kamal Haasan's Indian 2 makers increase its budget by Rs 50 crore". International Business Times, India Edition. Retrieved 2019-08-17.
- "Indian 2 new schedule to commence on August 12, April 2021 release". Sify.
- "Kamal Haasan's Indian 2 release date locked! - Tamil News". IndiaGlitz.com. August 7, 2019.
- "#indian2 Hi everyone! " Happy Pongal" - Director Mohammed sajeer". Twitter. Retrieved 2019-01-15.
- Service, Indo-Asian News (May 28, 2015). "A M Rathnam: 'Indian' sequel on the cards". India.com.
- "Kamal Haasan, Shankar announce Indian 2 on Bigg Boss Tamil". October 1, 2017.
- "Kamal Haasan to star in S Shankar's sequel of Indian, confirms producer Dil Raju- Entertainment News, Firstpost". Firstpost. September 30, 2017.
- "Production change for Kamal Haasan's Indian 2?". The New Indian Express.
- "Anirudh to score music for Indian 2? - Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Kamal Haasan's Indian 2 will be 100 times better than Indian: Ravi Varman". August 7, 2018.
- ChennaiFebruary 1, India Today Web Desk; February 1, 2019UPDATED:; Ist, 2019 13:40. "Kamal Haasan wanted AR Rahman to compose for Indian 2, but Shankar chose Anirudh. This is why". India Today.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- ChennaiJanuary 17, India Today Web Desk; January 17, 2019UPDATED:; Ist, 2019 18:23. "Indian 2: Three writers roped in for Kamal Haasan-Shankar film". India Today.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- "Kamal Haasan and Shankar's 'Indian 2' to take off in Hyderabad - Times of India". The Times of India.
- ChennaiNovember 12, India Today Web Desk; November 12, 2018UPDATED:; Ist, 2018 12:40. "Kamal Haasan's Indian 2 is finally making some noise". India Today.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- "It's official: Kajal Aggarwal is the heroine of Indian 2". December 3, 2018.
- "Kajal Aggarwal learns Kalari for Kamal Haasan's 'Indian 2' - Times of India". The Times of India.
- ChennaiNovember 13, India Today Web Desk; November 13, 2018UPDATED:; Ist, 2018 12:03. "Simbu joins Kamal Haasan film Indian 2 as a cop". India Today.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- "Siddharth on board for Indian 2?". Sify.
- "Arya on board for Shankar's 'Indian-2'?". Sify.
- "Kamal Haasan's 'Indian 2' shooting kicks off today - Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Akshay Kumar replaces Ajay Devgn in 'Indian 2'? - Times of India". The Times of India.
- "I was told Ajay Devgn is part of 'Indian 2': Kamal Haasan - Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Delhi Ganesh on board for Shankar's 'Indian 2'". Sify.
- "RJ Balaji joins the cast of Kamal Hassan's 'Indian 2' - Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Rakul Preet joins the sets of Kamal Haasan's 'Indian 2' - Times of India". The Times of India.
- ChennaiJuly 17, India Today Web Desk; July 17, 2019UPDATED:; Ist, 2019 16:30. "Vidyut Jammwal, Aishwarya Rajesh and Priya Bhavani Shankar join Kamal Haasan's Indian 2". India Today.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- "Bobby Simha to star in Kamal Haasan's film Indian 2? Find out". PINKVILLA.
- Penbugs (2019-08-21). "Finally, Vivekh teams up with Kamal Haasan for the 1st time!". Penbugs. Retrieved 2019-08-21.
- "Kamal Haasan's Indian 2 shooting stopped, complete details here!". in.com.
- "Kamal Haasan's Indian 2: "Film has not been abandoned", production house clarifies". www.timesnownews.com.
- "Kamal Hassan's 'Indian 2' gets delayed? - Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Kamal's 'Indian 2' shooting to resume from May". The News Minute. 13 March 2019.
- ChennaiApril 17, India Today Web Desk; April 17, 2019UPDATED:; Ist, 2019 15:50. "Has Kamal Haasan's Indian 2 been shelved? Details here". India Today.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- "Shooting of Kamal Haasan's 'Indian 2' begins". The News Minute. 12 August 2019.