Indian Council of Agricultural Research
Motto in English
|"Agrisearch with a human touch"|
|Established||16 July 1929|
|Budget||₹5,392 crore (US$800 million) (2012–13)|
|President||Radha Mohan Singh|
|Location||New Delhi, Delhi, India|
First DG of ICAR=Dr.B.P.Pal
First President of ICAR= Khan Bhahdur Sir Md. Habibullah(The DG of ICAR also Secretary of DARE)
The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) is an autonomous body responsible for co-ordinating agricultural education and research in India. It reports to the Department of Agricultural Research and Education, Ministry of Agriculture. The Union Minister of Agriculture serves as its president.
The Committee to Advise on Renovation and Rejuvenation of Higher Education (Yashpal Committee, 2009) has recommended setting up of a constitutional body — the National Commission for Higher Education and Research — which would be a unified supreme body to regulate all branches of higher education including agricultural education. Presently, regulation of agricultural education is the mandate of ICAR, Veterinary Council of India (Veterinary sub-discipline) and Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education (Forestry sub-discipline). The UPA government has included Yashpal Committee recommendations in its '100 days agenda'.
- 1 Milestones
- 2 ICAR institutions
- 3 ICAR Headquarters
- 4 Examination system
- 5 Agricultural Research Service
- 6 Agricultural Scientists Recruitment Board
- 7 ICAR Merits & Awards
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- As of July, 2006 it has developed a vaccine against bird flu.The vaccine was developed at the High Security Animal Disease Laboratory, Bhopal, the only facility in the country to conduct tests for the H5N1 variant of bird flu.It was entrusted with the task of developing a vaccine by the ICAR after the Avian Influenza outbreak in February. The ICAR provided Rs. 8 crore for the purpose.
- 2009: In December 2009, it announced that it was considering a policy to provide open access to its research.
- 2010: In March 2010, ICAR made its two flagship journals (Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences and Indian Journal of Animal Sciences) as Open Access Journals.
- 2013: On 13 September 2013, it announced the Open Access Policy and committed for making all the public funded scholarly research outputs openly available via open access repositories.
- ICAR scientists were the first in the world to sequence the pigeon pea genome. it was a purely indigenous effort by 31 scientists led by Nagendra Kumar Singh of NRCPB. The first draft of the sequence was published in J. Plant Biochem. Biotechnol
- Four Deemed Universities
- 45 ICAR Institutions
- Six National Bureaux
- 25 Project Directorates
- 18 National Research Centres
- 138 Substations of ICAR Institutes
- 61 AICRPs (All India Coordinated Research Projects)
- 10 Other Projects
- 17 Network Projects
- Eight Zonal Project Directorates
- 633 Krishi Vigyan Kendras (KVKs)
- Zone I – 62 KVKs
- Zone II – 77 KVKs
- Zone III – 70 KVKs
- Zone IV – 79 KVKs
- Zone V – 55 KVKs
- Zone VI – 57 KVKs
- Zone VII – 93 KVKs
- Zone VIII – 76 KVKs
- The Krishi Vigyan Kendra Kannur located in the premises of the Pepper Research Station at Panniyur is a front-line agricultural extension institution. The compact area group approach (CAGA) against coconut mite, Paddy Task Force to combat labour shortage in rice farming, first ever Farmers' Science Congress, pioneering a new branch of agricultural extension called Creative Extension are a few of the contributions made by the Kendra. The subsurface dyke constructed at KVK as part of demonstrating rain water harvesting technologies has become an example of an effective method for ground water conservation.
- 45 State Agricultural Universities (SAUs)
- 2 Central Agricultural University and
- 4 Central Universities having faculty of agriculture
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi
- Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh
- National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal, Haryana
- Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- National Backward Krishi Vidyapeeth, Solapur, India
- National Academy of Agricultural Research & Management, Hyderabad
- Indian Institute of Rice Research, Hyderabad
- Indian Institute of Oilseeds Research, Hyderabad
- Indian Institute of Millets Research, Hyderabad
- Central Island Agricultural Research Institute, Port Blair
- Central Arid Zone Research Institute, Jodhpur
- Central Avian Research Institute, Izatnagar
- Central Inland Fisheries Research Institute, Barrackpore
- Central Institute of Brackish Water Aquaculture, Chennai
- Central Institute for Research on Buffaloes, Hissar
- Central Institute for Research on Goats, Makhdoom
- Central Institute of Agricultural Engineering, Bhopal
- Central Institute of Arid Horticulture, Bikaner
- Central Institute of Cotton Research, Nagpur
- Central Institute of Fisheries Technology, Cochin
- Central Institute of Freshwater Aquaculture, Bhubneshwar
- Central Institute of Research on Cotton Technology, Mumbai
- Central Institute of Sub Tropical Horticulture, Lucknow
- Central Institute of Temperate Horticulture, Srinagar
- Central Institute on Post harvest Engineering and Technology, Ludhiana
- Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kochi
- Central Plantation Crops Research Institute, Kasargod
- Central Potato Research Institute, Shimla
- Central Research Institute for Jute and Allied Fibres, Barrackpore, Kolkata
- Central Rice Research Institute, Cuttack
- Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute, Avikanagar, Rajasthan
- Central Soil and Water Conservation Research & Training Institute, Dehradun
- Central Soil Salinity Research Institute, Karnal
- Central Tobacco Research Institute, Rajahmundry
- Central Tuber Crops Research Institute, Trivandrum
- ICAR Research Complex for Eastern Region, Patna
- ICAR Research Complex for NEH Region, Barapani
- Central Coastal Agricultural Research Institute, Ela, Old Goa, Goa
- Indian Agricultural Statistics Research Institute, New Delhi
- Indian Grassland and Fodder Research Institute, Jhansi
- Indian Institute of Agricultural Biotechnology, Ranchi
- Indian Institute of Horticultural Research, Bengaluru
- Indian Institute of Natural Resins and Gums, Ranchi
- Indian Institute of Pulses Research, Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Soil Sciences, Bhopal
- Indian Institute of Spices Research, Calicut
- Indian Institute of Sugarcane Research, Lucknow
- Indian Institute of Vegetable Research, Varanasi
- National Biotic Stress Management Institute, Raipur
- National Institute of Abiotic Stress Management, Malegaon, Maharashtra
- National Institute of Animal Nutrition and Physiology, Bengaluru
- National Institute of Research on Jute & Allied Fibre Technology, Kolkata
- National Institute of Veterinary Epidemiology and Disease Informatics, Hebbal, Bengaluru
- National Institute Of Veterinary Epidemiology And Disease Informatics, Hebbal, Bangalore
- Sugarcane Breeding Institute, Coimbatore
- Vivekananda Parvatiya Krishi Anusandhan Sansthan, Almora
- Indian Institute of Wheat and Barley Research, Karnal
- Indian Institute of Maize Research, New Delhi
- Indian Institute of Oil Palm Research, Pedavegi, West Godawari
- Indian Institute of Farming Systems Research, Modipuram
- Central Institute for Research on Cattle, Meerut
- Central Institute for Women in Agriculture, Bhubaneshwar
- National Bureau of Agricultural Insect Resources, Bengaluru
- National Bureau of Agriculturally Important Micro Organisms, Mau Nath Bhanjan, Uttar Pradesh
- National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources, Karnal, Haryana
- National Bureau of Fish Genetic Resources, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources, New Delhi
- National Bureau of Soil Survey & Land Use Planning, Nagpur, Maharashtra
- Directorate of Poultry Research, Hyderabad
- Directorate of Groundnut Research, Junagadh, Gujarat 
- Directorate of Cashew Research, Puttur
- Directorate of Cold Water Fisheries Research, Bhimtal, Nainital
- Directorate of Floriculture Research, Pune, Maharashtra
- Directorate of Knowledge Management in Agriculture (DKMA), New Delhi
- Directorate of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants Research, Anand 
- Directorate of Mushroom Research, Solan
- Directorate on Onion and Garlic Research, Pune
- Directorate of Rapeseed & Mustard Research, Bharatpur
- Directorate of Seed Research, Mau
- Directorate of Soybean Research, Indore
- Directorate of Water Management Research, Bhubaneshwar
- Directorate of Weed Science Research, Jabalpur
- Project Directorate on Foot & Mouth Disease, Mukteshwar
National Research Centers
- National Research Centre on Meat, Hyderabad
- National Centre for Agril. Economics & Policy Research, New Delhi
- National Research Centre on Pig, Guwahati
- National Research Centre for Agroforestry, Jhansi
- National Research Centre for Banana, Trichi 
- National Research Centre on Camel, Bikaner
- National Research Centre for Makhana(foxnut), Darbhanga
- National Research Centre on Equines, Hisar
- National Research Centre for Citrus, Nagpur
- National Research Centre for Grapes, Pune
- National Research Centre for Litchi, Muzaffarpur
- National Research Centre for Pomegranate, Solapur
- National Research Centre on Mithun, Medziphema, Nagaland
- National Research Centre on Orchids, Pakyong, Sikkim
- National Centre for Integrated Pest Management, New Delhi
- National Research Centre on Plant Biotechnology, New Delhi
- National Research Centre on Seed Spices, Ajmer
- National Research Centre on Yak,Dirang, Arunachal Pradesh
- All India Coordinated Project of Micro and Secondary Nutrients and Pollutant Elements in Soils & Plants
- ICAR - Network Project on Sheep Improvement (NWPSI)
Indian Council of Agricultural Research's headquarters is in New Delhi.
All India Agriculture Entrance Exam is an entrance exam for students to get into the institution.
Agricultural Research Service
The Agricultural Scientists Recruitment Board (ASRB) conducts all India competitive examination Agricultural Research Service (ARS), to recruit posts in the ARS of Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR).
Agricultural Scientists Recruitment Board
The Agricultural Scientists Recruitment Board (ASRB) website) was established on 1 November 1973 as an independent recruitment agency for all the posts of ICAR in pursuance of the recommendations of the Gajendragadkar Committee.
- Recruitment to posts in the Agricultural Research Service (ARS) of the ICAR and to such other posts and services that the President, ICAR, may specify from time to time.
- Rendering such other assistances to the Council in personnel matters, including promotion, as may be required by the President, ICAR.
- Advising the Council on disciplinary matters relating to personnel recruited through ASRB or appointed by the Council in consultation with the Board.
- Recruitment to entry level scientific positions of the ARS through an All-India Competitive Examination.
- Induction of existing scientists of the ICAR to ARS under the initial constitution of ARS.
- Assessment for merit promotion and grant of advance increments to scientists of the ARS.
- To conduct National Eligibility Test, which is a prerequisite for the initial recruitment as Assistant Professor/Lecturer in the State Agricultural Universities.
- Recruitment to posts in the Combined cadres of Administrative Officers/Finance & Accounts Officers of the ICAR which are required to be filled by direct recruitment.
- Choudhary Devi Lal Outstanding All-India Coordinated Research Project Award
- Rafi Ahmed Kidwai Award
- Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed Award for Tribal Areas
- Hari Om Ashram Trust Award
- Jawaharlal Nehru Award for outstanding doctoral thesis research
- Vasantrao Naik Award
- Lal Bahadur Shastri Young Scientist Award
- Bharat Ratna Dr C Subramaniam Outstanding Teacher Award
- Punjab Rao Deshmukh Woman Agricultural Scientist Award
- Chaudhary Charan Singh Award for Excellence in Journalism in Agricultural Research and Development
- N.G. Ranga Farmer Award for Diversified Agriculture
- Jagjivan Ram Kisan Puruskar
- Swamy Sahajanand Saraswati Extension Scientist/ Worker Award
- ICAR Award for Outstanding Multidisciplinary Team Research in Agriculture and Allied Sciences
- National Krishi Vigyan Kendra Award
- Dr Rajendra Prasad Puruskar for Technical Books in Hindi in The Field of Agriculture and Allied Sciences
- Udyan Pandit Award for excellence in fruit growing
- Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education
- National Initiative on Climate Resilient Agriculture
- Van Vigyan Kendra (VVK) Forest Science Centres
- . ICAR http://www.icar.org.in/en/node/1237. Missing or empty
- "About us". Indian Council of Agricultural Research. Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- "ICAR-CPCRI strive to bring back coconut leaf craft to mainstream with workshop from Sep 6 - Times of India".
- Sibal: Yash Pal panel report will be implemented in 100 days, The Hindu, 25 June 2009
- "ICAR Journals in Open Access | Indian Council of Agricultural Research". www.icar.org.in. Retrieved 2016-03-27.
- "The Indian Council of Agricultural Research Adopts an Open Access Policy". The Centre for Internet and Society. Retrieved 2016-03-27.
- "ICAR Institutions, Deemed Universities, National Research Centres, National Bureaux & Directorate/Project Directorates - Indian Council of Agricultural Research".
- "AICRPs & Network Projects - Indian Council of Agricultural Research".
- "Agricultural Technology Application Research Institutes - Indian Council of Agricultural Research".
- "Krishi Vigyan Kendras (KVKs) - Indian Council of Agricultural Research".
- "Universities - Indian Council of Agricultural Research".