Indian Economic Service
|Civil Service academy||Institute of Economic Growth, Delhi|
|Controlling authority||Department of Economic Affairs (Economic Division), Ministry of Finance|
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government service|
|General nature||Policy Formulation
Advisors to Ministers
|Cadre Size||477 (2015)|
|Chief Economic Adviser to Government of India||Arvind Subramanian|
|Head of the Civil Services|
|Cabinet Secretary||Pradeep Kumar Sinha|
The Indian Economic Service (Hindi: भारतीय आर्थिक सेवा) (abbreviated as IES) is the administrative inter-ministerial civil service under Group A of the Central Civil Services of the executive branch of the Government of India.
The Indian Economic Service was introduced by Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru for formulating and implementing economic policies and programmes in India. The initial steps towards formation of service can be traced to 1952. A Committee under V. T. Krishnamachari submitted a report in September 1953, recommending the formation of a service to be known as the Statistical and Economic Advisory Service. On the contrary, Prasanta Mahalanobis did not favour the idea of a combined Statistical and Economic Advisory Service.
The Cabinet in its meeting held on 12th Feb 1958 decided that two separate services should be formed; a Statistical Service and other an Economic Service. The Indian Economic Service was constituted on 1st November 1961 and the Service Rules were notified on the same date. The actual operationalization of service took place in 1964.
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (December 2016)|
- "Final Seniority List of IES officers: Ministry of Finance, Government of India" (PDF). Indian Economic Service. Retrieved 23 December 2016.
- "History of the Indian Economic Service". Indian Economic Service. Retrieved 23 December 2016.
- Complete Civil Service Schedule of the Civil Services Group A of India." Civil Service Group A - Government of India 1 January 2011.
- "G Ramesh - Public Policy: Professor, Centre for Public Policy". Indian Institute of Management Bangalore. Retrieved 11 January 2017.
- "Archive: Dr. S.M. Jharwal, Chancellor - Indira Gandhi National Tribal University". Indira Gandhi National Tribal University. Archived from the original on 11 January 2017. Retrieved 11 January 2017.