Indian Economic Service
|Civil Service academy||Institute of Economic Growth, Delhi|
|Controlling authority||Department of Economic Affairs (Economic Division), Ministry of Finance|
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government service|
|General nature||Economic Analysis|
|Cadre Size||477 (2015)|
|A S Nikhade|
|Head of the Civil Services|
|Cabinet Secretary||Pradeep Kumar Sinha|
The Indian Economic Service (Hindi: भारतीय आर्थिक सेवा) (abbreviated as IES) is the administrative inter-ministerial civil service under Group A of the Central Civil Services of the executive branch of the Government of India.
The Indian Economic Service was introduced by Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru for formulating and implementing economic policies and programmes in India. The initial steps towards formation of service can be traced to 1952. A Committee under V. T. Krishnamachari submitted a report in September 1953, recommending the formation of a service to be known as the Statistical and Economic Advisory Service. On the contrary, Prasanta Mahalanobis did not favour the idea of a combined Statistical and Economic Advisory Service.
The Cabinet in its meeting held on 12 February 1958 decided that two separate services should be formed; a Statistical Service and other an Economic Service. The Indian Economic Service was constituted on 1 November 1961 and the Service Rules were notified on the same date. The actual operationalization of service took place in 1964.
- I. G. Patel - 14th Governor of Reserve Bank of India
- Samar Ranjan Sen - Former Executive Director of the World Bank for India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.
- "Final Seniority List of IES officers: Ministry of Finance, Government of India" (PDF). Indian Economic Service. Retrieved 23 December 2016.
- "History of the Indian Economic Service". Indian Economic Service. Retrieved 23 December 2016.
- "Complete Civil Service Schedule of the Civil Services Group A of India". Civil Service Group A - Government of India 1 January 2011.
- "Modi and economics". Business Standard. Retrieved 23 December 2016.
- "Obituary: Dr I.G. Patel". Financial Times. Retrieved 23 December 2016.
- "Samar Ranjan Sen dead". The Hindu. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- "Noted economist Samar Sen dead". Rediff.com. Retrieved 7 June 2017.