Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
|Indian Harbour Beach, Florida|
|City of Indian Harbour Beach|
|Motto: "The Greatest Little City in Florida!"|
Location in Brevard County and the state of Florida
|Country||United States of America|
|• Total||2.6 sq mi (6.8 km2)|
|• Land||2.1 sq mi (5.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.3 km2)|
|Elevation||10 ft (3 m)|
|• Density||3,200/sq mi (1,200/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0284502|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.6 square miles (6.7 km2). 2.1 square miles (5.4 km2) of it is land and 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2) of it (18.63%) is water.
- Merritt Island; Indian River Lagoon; Banana River; Melbourne
- Atlantic Ocean
- Satellite Beach
In 2007, the city had a taxable real estate base of $920.7 million.
As of the census of 2000, there were 8,152 people, 3,762 households, and 2,381 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,470.8/km² (3,810.1/mi²). There were 4,315 housing units at an average density of 778.5/km² (2,016.7/mi²). The racial makeup of the city was 95.40% White, 0.93% African American, 0.28% Native American, 1.57% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.55% from other races, and 1.23% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.28% of the population.
There were 3,762 households out of which 21.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.8% were married couples living together, 9.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.7% were non-families. 30.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.17 and the average family size was 2.69.
In the city the population was spread out with 18.5% under the age of 18, 5.4% from 18 to 24, 23.6% from 25 to 44, 27.5% from 45 to 64, and 24.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 46 years. For every 100 females there were 90.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.0 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $42,889, and the median income for a family was $56,803. Males had a median income of $50,045 versus $29,697 for females. The per capita income for the city was $29,986. About 2.3% of families and 5.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.3% of those under age 18 and 2.2% of those age 65 or over.
In 2010, the town had the highest percentage of people with undergraduate degrees of any municipality measured in the county, 41%, compared with an average of 26% countywide.
Indian Harbour Beach was founded on June 6, 1955, by W. Lansing Gleason, John H. Neafie and Louis S. Henry.
- Larry Guarino, spent 8 years as a POW in the Hanoi Hilton during the Vietnam War
- Jim Rathmann, 1960 Indianapolis 500 winner
- Tim Wakefield, Major League Baseball player
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Indian Harbour Beach city, Florida". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 30, 2012.
- Dean, James (April 26, 2008). More taxes or fewer services. Florida Today.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- Ryan, MacKenzie (15 December 2010). "Census data notes makeup of towns". Melbourne, Florida: Florida Today. pp. 1A.
- White, George (1 November 2009). "Parade mark FCAT success". The South Beaches Breeze (Melbourne, Florida: Florida Today). p. 28.
- NOAA News Online (Story 2470)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Indian Harbour Beach, Florida.|