Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad
|Campus||Urban, 100-acre (40 ha)|
Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad (IIIT-Allahabad) is a public university located in Allahabad (Jhalwa, Allahabad), in Uttar Pradesh state in northern India. It is one of the nineteen Indian Institutes of Information Technology listed by the Ministry of Human Resource Development..
The institution was founded in 1999, and in the following year received university status and the right to award its own degrees. In 2014 the IIIT Act was passed, under which IIITA and four other Institutes of Information Technology funded by the Ministry of Human Resource Development were classed as Institutes of National Importance.
The first director of the institute was M.D. Tiwari, from 1999 to 2013. G.C. Nandi served as director in-charge on the first four months of 2014, until Somenath Biswas took over the directorship and served from May 2014 to July 2016. After another stint by Nandi as director (Offg) that lasted until May 2017, P. Nagabhushan was appointed director.
Ranking and Placements
|University and College rankings|
|General – international|
|QS (BRICS) (2019)||119|
|QS (Asia) (2019)||301-350|
|Engineering – India|
|Outlook India (2019)||18|
|India Today (2019)||10|
Among government engineering colleges in India, IIIT-Allahabad ranked 10th by India Today in 2019 and 18 by Outlook India in 2019. It was ranked 82 among engineering colleges by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) in 2019.. IIIT-A is very famous for its placements.
Effervescence is the annual cultural festival of the institute. It lasts for three days and includes technology, debate, music, sports and other activities.
- IIITs. Ministry of Human Resource Development. Accessed January 2017.
- "Joint Seat Allocation Authority 2016". Retrieved 20 August 2016.
- "Former Directors". Retrieved 1 June 2017.
- "IIITA Director's Message". Retrieved 1 June 2017.
- "QS BRICS University Rankings 2019". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2018.
- "QS Asia University Rankings 2019". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2019 (Engineering)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "India's Top 150 Engineering Colleges In 2019". Outlook India. 6 June 2019.
- "Top 10 Colleges - Engineering". India Today. 18 May 2019.
- "Placement Statistics".
- "Blazing start to Effervescence". Times of India. 2 October 2012.