Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|भारतीय सूचना प्रौद्योगिकी संस्थान
Motto in English
|Knowledge is Power|
|Director||Prof. Somenath Biswas|
|Location||Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
|Campus||Urban, 100-acre (0.40 km2)|
|Mascot||Converging of the Rivers Ganga and Yamuna|
Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad (abbreviated IIITA or IIIT Allahabad) is a public university located in Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India, and one of Indian Institutes of Information Technology.
Indian Institute of Information Technology Allahabad was established in 1999, as a centre of excellence in Information Technology and allied areas. It was declared to be the Institute of National Importance by the Government of India under the IIIT Act 2014. 
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 Academics
- 4 Student life and culture
- 5 Annual Science Conclave
- 6 References
- 7 See also
- 8 External links
The Prime Minister of India constituted a National Task Force on IT and Software Development in 1998. The purpose of this committee was to make specific recommendations for the establishment of IT institutions that would produce a skilled IT workforce. The vision was to bring India to the frontier of the field of information technology.
Ministry of Human Resource Development through its order of 1 July 1998 constituted the Rame Gowda Committee. This expert committee was to submit a project report regarding the feasibility and logistics of setting up a National Institute of Excellence in Information Technology with Allied Sciences. This Institute would carry out pioneering research and development with an emphasis on industry linkages and networking at national and international levels.
The National Task Force on IT had suggested a wide spectrum of recommendations spanning from wired-village concepts to $50 billion software development programs within 6–8 years. To achieve this target, there was an urgent need for massive manpower generation. Towards this end, the Task Force had called for a number of front-ranking IT centers of excellence, of which the first was to be established in Allahabad.
The Expert Committee then proposed the profile of an institute with all the relevant details with regard to location, funding and governance. It also came up with a budget of Rs. 41.70 crores for the establishment of an institute at Allahabad. For financial and administrative approval, these recommendations were placed before the Expenditure and Finance Committee at its meeting on 30 December 1999 where the institute was established as a center of excellence in Information Technology and allied areas
The institute was conferred Deemed University status by Government of India in the year 2000 . With the passage of IIIT Bill 2014 by the Parliament of India, IIIT Allahabad, along with the other four MHRD funded IIITs, became an Institute of National Importance on 1 December 2014.
The IIITA campus is located at Devghat Jhalwa (Peepalgaon Road), which is on the outskirts of Allahabad. It is 10 km from the town center and 7 km from the main railway station. The 100 acre campus, situated at Deoghat, Jhalwa was designed on the Penrose Geometry pattern.
- Electronics and Communication Engineering (Bachelor of Technology)
- Information Technology (Bachelor of Technology)
Undergraduate-cum-postgraduate Dual Programmes
- Electronics and Communication Engineering and M.Tech. Bio-Medical Engineering (5 Years, Bachelor and Master of Technology (Dual Degree))
- Information Technology and M.Tech (Information Technology) Spl. Wireless Communication Engineering (5 Years, Bachelor and Master of Technology (Dual Degree))
- Information Technology and M.Tech (Information Technology) Spl. Software Engineering (5 Years, Bachelor and Master of Technology (Dual Degree))
- Information Technology and M.Tech (Information Technology) Spl. Robotics (5 Years, Bachelor and Master of Technology (Dual Degree))
- Information Technology and M.Tech (Information Technology) Spl. (Intellegent System) (5 Years, Bachelor and Master of Technology (Dual Degree))
- Information Technology and M.Tech (Information Technology) Spl. (Human Computer Interaction) (5 Years, Bachelor and Master of Technology (Dual Degree))
- Information Technology and M.Tech (Information Technology) Spl. (Cyber Law and Information Security) (5 Years, Bachelor and Master of Technology (Dual Degree))
- Information Technology and M.Tech (Information Technology) Spl. Bio-Informatics (5 Years, Bachelor and Master of Technology (Dual Degree))
- Electronics and Communication Engineering and M.Tech (ECE) Spl. (Micro Electronics) (5 Years, Bachelor and Master of Technology (Dual Degree))
- Electronics and Communication Engineering and MBA (Information Technology) (5 Years, Bachelor of Technology and MBA (Dual Degree))
- Information Technology and MBA (Information Technology) (5 Years, Bachelor of Technology and MBA (Dual Degree))
- Master of Technology 
- Master of Business Administration
- Ph.D. (Information Technology & Management)
Research and collaborations
IIITA has academic collaborations with international research organizations such as Carnegie Mellon University, California University[disambiguation needed], State University of New York, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Canberra University, University of Michigan etc. 
Numerous nationally and internationally sponsored research projects running in the institute receive healthy participation from the students. These projects encompass a very broad spectrum of areas both conventional and pioneering. Several papers based on these projects have been published in reputed referred journals and appreciated in various international conferences. A few include:
- Mega Centre in Universal Digital Library supported by the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology (India) and Carnegie Mellon University 
- Patent Referral Centre (PRC)
- Software Licensing and IPR Depository Centre supported by Ministry of Human Resource Development
- Technology Development of Indian Languages supported by the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology (India)
- Bio-Informatics Centre supported by Department of Department of Biotechnology
- Indo-Russian Centre of Bio-Technology supported jointly by Department of Science and Technology and Department of Biotechnology
- Broadband over Power Line Project for villages supported by Department of Science and Technology, Government of India
- Information Security Education and Awareness (ISEA)
- Development of active prosthetic limbs for physically challenged persons using robotic technology (ISJRP)
Indo-Russian Center for Biotechnology (IRCB)
Under the umbrella of the Indo-Russian Integrated Long Term Programme (ILTP) in Science and Technology, several joint R&D projects are being implemented. Russian institutions have been offering technologies for commercialisation in India. Similarly, the Indian side has been offering technologies developed in India for validation and commercialisation in Russia. Technology transfer activities in engineering materials, electronics, laser science and technology, catalysis, space science and technology has been significant.
The sub-working group on biotechnology in its meeting held on 8 December 1999 endorsed the view of the ILTP joint council that there was a need to establish a joint Indo-Russian centre for biotechnology (IRCB) to co-ordinate activities under Indo-Russian collaboration in biotechnology. The Sub-Working group on biotechnology during its third meeting in June, 2000 in Moscow also strongly recommended the proposal. M. M. Joshi, the Minister for Science and Technology announced it formally during his visit to Russia in July, 2000.
The agreement for establishment of this centre was formally concluded on 5 November 2001 in Moscow during the visit of the Indian Prime Minister to Russia between the Department of Science and Technology on the Indian side and the Russian Academy of Sciences on the Russian side.
The centre was inaugurated by M. M. Joshi at Allahabad on 23 December 2001.
The First project at the center is the HCRPDB, a Database Retrieval and Mining System for Human Cell Receptors Proteins. HCRPDB generates information for structure based drug design on cell receptors proteins and allows retrieval of protein sequence related information.
Student life and culture
- GeekHaven is the technical society. It undertakes all the student technical activity.
- Prayaas is an NGO managed by student volunteers for educating underprivileged children.
- INDEM (IIITA Network Development, Engineering and Management) represents the Network and System Admins at IIITA. INDEM innovates and experiments with technology at the campus LAN, as well as maintaining and managing the internet/intranet services.
- Robita society enables students to experiment with robot design, artificial intelligence programming and related areas. Robot fabrication workshops are conducted.
- Sarsava is the literary society. It organizes debates, extempore and other literary competitions. It publishes IMHO (in English) and Swacchanda (in Hindi), which are two magazines for in-campus circulation.
- RangTarangani is the dramatics society that organizes workshops for acting and scriptwriting, and holds drama competitions where talent can be showcased. The Society has staged performances in Hindi and English. Innovation one act play competition is an annual feature of the Society.
- Virtuosi is the music society. It showcases the musical talent of the institute. The society has a college band.
- Spirit is the sports society
- Ushma is the dance society
- Thunderbolt, the audio lights society, manages lights, audio equipment, and visual recording of events staged at IIITA.
- Team Effervescence - Program Management and Publicity Society is responsible for management and publicity of events held at IIITA.
Effervescence is the annual three-day-long cultural festival of IIIT Allahabad. It is a platform of youthful energy showcasing intellectuals, creativity and a cultural treat. The cultural, managerial and technical spirits mingle to make the event a success. Participants from IIT’s, IIM’s, NIT’s and IIIT have been seen experiencing these intense events and win laurels. The three days, on-campus events which consist of technical events in the morning and a platter of dance, dramatics, literary and music competitions. The concluding night of the Effervescence is always the most anticipated and illustrious event which has seen bands like Bombay Vikings, Euphoria, Silk Route and Strings performing live. 
Annual Science Conclave
IIITA organizes the International Science conclave every year. The purpose of these annual intellectual gatherings of Nobel Laureates and eminent national and international scientists is to provide a platform for free interaction to young students, teachers and researchers to interact with high-profile intelligentsia, show them the excitement of scientific research/investigation and motivate them to take up study of science as their careers.
- "IIITA Director's Message".
- "IIIT Allahabad -Facts and History". Retrieved 20 August 2016.
- "The Indian Institutes of Information Technology Bill, 2014". Retrieved 3 Dec 2014.
- "Parliament passes IIIT bill, first on education by Modi government". Retrieved 3 Dec 2014.
- "Reaching IIIT Allahabd". iiita.ac.in. Retrieved 20 August 2016.
- "Draft of IIIT Bill 2010" (PDF). Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- "IIITA-Undergraduate Programmes". iiita.ac.in. 2011. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- "IIITA-Graduate Programmes". iiita.ac.in. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- "Admissions". mba.iiita.ac.in. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- "IIITA-Doctoral Programmes". iiita.ac.in. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- "Joint Seat Allocation Authority 2016". Retrieved 20 August 2016.
- "Placement Cell IIITA". Retrieved 20 August 2016.
- "Blazing start to Effervescence". Times of India. 2 October 2012.
- "IIIT-A gears up for cultural extravaganza Effervescence-MMVIdate=29 September 2006". Hindustan Times.
- "Annual Science Conclave" (PDF). iiita.ac.in. 2012.
- "Sixth Science Conclave at IIIT Allahabad". 2013.
- Indian Institutes of Information Technology
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Design and Manufacturing, Jabalpur
- Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management, Gwalior
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Design & Manufacturing Kancheepuram
- List of Institutes of National Importance
- List of universities in India
- Universities and colleges in India
- Education in India