Indian Institute of Information Technology, Nagpur
भारतीय सूचना प्रौद्योगिकी संस्थान, नागपूर
|Type||Public Education & Research|
|Director||Prof. Omprakash G. Kakde|
|Mentor Institute||Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology|
Indian Institute of Information Technology, Nagpur (abbreviated IIITN) is one of the Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIIT) and an Institute of National Importance located in Nagpur, Maharashtra. The institute started functioning from July 2016 in a temporary campus at Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited's Regional Telecom Training Centre. It offers Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) courses in Electronics and Communication Engineering and Computer Science and Engineering. It is being mentored by Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology (VNIT).
IIITN was approved by the Government of India's (GOI) Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) in May 2015. IIITN has been set up on a Public–private partnership (PPP) basis. Fifty percent of the stakes are held by MHRD, whereas thirty-five percent is held by the Government of Maharashtra; the rest is held by industry partners Tata Consultancy Services and ADCC Infocad. Vilas Muttemwar, the former member of parliament of the Indian National Congress elected from the Nagpur Lok Sabha constituency, was among the first persons to demand an IIIT in Nagpur.
VNIT was declared as IIITN's mentor institute, and VNIT director Narendra Chaudhari was appointed as IIITN's mentor director. The MHRD funded ₹3 crore (US$430,000) for setting up of the institute, whereas Government of Maharashtra funded ₹1.4 crore (US$200,000).
IIITN offers two B.Tech courses in Computer Science and Engineering and Electronics and Communication Engineering with capacity of 120 and 90 seats respectively. The first ever batch capacity was of 40 students only. It plans to start Master of Technology (M.Tech) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) courses from academic session of 2018-19. However, there is no update related to that till now. The tuition fees has been fixed at₹90,000 (US$1,300) per year for the 2016-20 and 2017-21 batch. The tuition fees for newer batches has been increased to ₹180k/-.
A temporary campus for IIITN has been setup at Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited's Regional Telecom Training Centre. Its distance from all respective public transport facilities respectively is as follows:
- Nagpur main Railway Station: 5.5 km
- Nagpur Airport (DBAIAP): 12.5 km
- Nagpur Central Bus Stand: 7.2 km
- "IIITs now Institutes of National Importance". The Hindu. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- Choudhari, Abhishek (15 May 2015). "HRD ministry approves IIIT for Nagpur". The Times of India. Nagpur. Retrieved 5 July 2016.
- Ganjapure, Vaibhav (18 February 2016). "Ngp, Pune IIITs fees fixed at Rs90k per yr". The Times of India. Nagpur. Retrieved 5 July 2016.
- Ganjapure, Vaibhav (29 June 2016). "IIIT Nagpur to start PG, PhD courses from next year". The Times of India. Nagpur. Retrieved 5 July 2016.
- Srivastava, Kanchan (4 July 2016). "Decks cleared for all infrastructure, educations projects such as AIIMS, IIIT, IIM, NLU in Nagpur". Daily News and Analysis. Mumbai. Retrieved 5 July 2016.
- "IIIT-Nagpur houseful in its very first year". Nagpur Today. Nagpur. 4 July 2016. Retrieved 8 July 2016.