Indian Institute of Information Technology, Design & Manufacturing Kancheepuram
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Motto||"Learning By Doing"|
|Director||Dr. R. Gnanamoorthy|
|Location||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
Indian Institute of Information Technology Design and Manufacturing Kancheepuram (IIITDM Kancheepuram) is an Institute of National Importance established in 2007 by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India to pursue design and manufacturing oriented engineering education, research and to promote the competitive advantage of Indian products in global markets. It was declared as an Institute of National Importance (INI) by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India, in July 2011, thus becoming the first IIIT to be accorded this status. Later in 2014, IIIT Bill 2014 was passed by the Parliament on December 1, 2014, thus granting the status of Institutes of National Importance upon the 4 MHRD funded IIITs including IIITDM Kancheepuram. IIITDM Kancheepuram currently mentors IIITDM Kurnool in its new campus at Chennai. According to the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF), the institute is ranked 80 in the 2016 engineering university rankings.
It is one of the three IIITDMs, the other two being located in Jabalpur and Kurnool. The institute, which was operating from its temporary campus within the Indian Institute of Technology Madras, which is also its mentor institute, has moved to its permanent campus at Kelambakkam-Vandalur road near Chennai. The institute offers academic and research programs that integrate engineering design, manufacturing and management with information technology. The institute offers undergraduate(B.Tech.) and postgraduate programs master of design (M.Des.) which focus on IT, electronics, mechanical design and manufacturing in engineering sectors which is not only focuses on design aspect but also in the engineering aspects which makes this institute unique in India. The institute has MOU with HITACHI Japan and academic exchange with Nagaoka University of Technology.
Indian Institute of Information Technology Design and Manufacturing Kancheepuram (IIITDM Kancheepuram) is a Centre of Excellence for technical education and research established in 2007 by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India to pursue design and manufacturing oriented engineering education and research and to promote the competitive advantage of Indian products in global markets.
The motto of the institute is "Learning By Doing".
The institute is located on a 51-acre campus in Kandigai village on the outskirts of Chennai, off the Vandalur-Kelambakkam road. It is a fully residential campus with all students residing within the campus. The campus houses the academic block, the administrative block, lecture hall complex and laboratory block. A general store, monopolising on the daily needs of the students is also located within the campus.
There are two boys hostels and one combined hostel for both boys and girls in the campus. Sports facilities include a football ground, a cricket ground, a volleyball court, a basketball court and an in-door sports complex. Facilities are also available for table tennis and badminton. Construction is underway for a swimming pool and a lawn tennis court.
B.Tech and Dual Degree programs offered
The institute offers Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) and Dual degrees in design and Manufacturing areas.
- Computer Engineering
- Electronics Engineering (Design and Manufacturing)
- Mechanical Engineering (Design and Manufacturing)
- Mechanical -Smart Manufacturing (from 2016 onwards)
Dual Degree Programs
- B. Tech - Computer Engineering + M. Tech - Computer Engineering
- B. Tech - Electronics Engineering (Design and Manufacturing) + M. Tech VLSI & Electronic System Design
- B. Tech - Electronics Engineering (Design and Manufacturing) + M. Tech Signal Processing and Communication System Design
- B. Tech - Mechanical Engineering (Design and Manufacturing) + M. Tech Product Design
- B. Tech - Mechanical Engineering (Design and Manufacturing) + M. Tech Advanced Manufacturing
Admission to the undergraduate programmes is based on All India Rank (AIR) in Joint Entrance Examination (JEE-Main).
M.Des (PG) Programs
IIITDM Kancheepuram offers Master of Design in Mechanical Systems, Electronic Systems from August 2010, and Communication Systems from 2012. These programs enables mechanical and electrical/electronics engineers to specialize in design skills and create electronic, communication and mechanical products. The course duration is of two years. Admission to these programs is centralised based on GATE score alone.
Doctoral degree programs in the areas of Computer Engineering, Electrical, Electronics Engineering and Mechanical Engineering are offered by the institute. Ph.D research scholars work under the full-time guidance of faculty members. Research is in the areas of Robotics, Dynamics & Control, Mechanical Design, Fatigue and Fracture Machine, Tribo Design, Artificial Intelligence, Knowledge & Data Engineering, Image Processing, Theoretical Computer Science, Solar Energy, Photonics, Fiber Optics, Micro Electronics, CAD for digital circuits, Graph coloring problems and algorithms, and Fuzzy Logic.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20081020011542/http://www.iiitdm.iitm.ac.in/group%20members.html. Archived from the original on October 20, 2008. Retrieved June 2, 2010. Missing or empty
- (PDF) https://web.archive.org/web/20120912173124/http://www.tn.gov.in/stationeryprinting/extraordinary/2011/199-Ex-IV-4.pdf. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 12, 2012. Retrieved November 4, 2012. Missing or empty
- "IIIT Kancheepuram to mentor Andhra Pradesh counterpart". 2015-06-28. Retrieved 2016-10-06.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20140606220504/http://voice.nagaokaut.ac.jp/international/collaboration.html. Archived from the original on June 6, 2014. Retrieved June 6, 2014. Missing or empty
- "Joint Entrance Examination (JEE-Main)". Retrieved 1 August 2013.