Indian Institute of Management Bangalore
Motto in English
|Let our study be enlightening|
|Type||Public business school|
|Chairperson||Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty|
|Director||Rishikesha T. Krishnan|
|Affiliations||Institute of National Importance|
Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIM Bangalore or IIMB) is a public business school and Institute of National Importance located in Bangalore, India. Founded in 1973, it was the third IIM to be established, after IIM Calcutta and IIM Ahmedabad.
The institute offers Post Graduate, Doctoral, Executive Education and Certificate Programmes.The MBA programme is the flagship programme of the BSchool and is offered in three modes - one year full-time, two year full-time and two year executive (weekend).
The Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGP), is the traditional flagship two-year full-time residential MBA programme, for candidates with 0-4 years experience and admitted through the Common Admission Test (CAT). IIM Bangalore offers a flagship one-year full-time residential MBA programme - the Executive Post Graduate Programme in Management (EPGP), modeled on global MBA pedagogy, for candidates with higher experience and admitted through Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), 
IIMB also offers two-year part-time executive MBA programme for working executives, a one-year full-time programme - Master of Management Studies in Public Policy and a two-year full-time MBA programme in Business Analytics, apart from the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). The Certificate Programmes include the N. S. Ramaswamy Pre-doctoral Fellowship (NSR Pre-doc), which is a one-year full-time apprenticeship programme with a focus on inclusion[clarification needed], and the Mahatma Gandhi National Fellowship (MGNF), a two-year academic programme.
In addition to its academic programmes, the institute is engaged in facilitating research, offering consulting services, conducting seminars and academic conferences and publishing journals.
In 1972, a committee headed by Ravi J. Matthai, founding director of IIM Ahmedabad and IRMA, noting the rising demand for graduates of the first two prestigious IIMs namely IIM Calcutta and IIM Ahmedabad, recommended the need to have two more IIMs. The Institute at Bangalore was set up to cater exclusively to the needs of public sector enterprises. For the proposed institute, the Government of Karnataka offered 100 acres (40 ha) of land free of cost and a contribution of ₹3 million (US$42,000). T. A. Pai and N. S. Ramaswamy were appointed as Chairman and Director respectively. The institute was inaugurated by Indira Gandhi, the then Prime Minister of India, on 28 October 1973. The institute was started in St. Joseph's College of Commerce, and some other buildings, which were rented on the Langford Road. The new institute came up at the Bannerghatta Road campus in South Bangalore in 1983.
The two-year Post Graduate Programme commenced in July 1974 and the first convocation of the institute was held on 10 July 1976 with a total of 48 graduating students. On August 27, 1998, the Post Graduate Programme in Software Enterprise Management was launched with an intake 58 students. The institute's start-up incubation centre, N S Raghavan Centre for Entrepreneurial Learning (NSRCEL) came into existence in March 2002. It was supported by grants from Nadathur Sarangapani Raghavan, an Indian industrialist, and one of the seven founders of Infosys Technologies.
On 7 June 2002, the Post Graduate Programme in Public Policy and Management was launched. The participants of the programme were members of the Indian Civil Services. On 3 April 2009, the one-year MBA Programme - the Executive Post Graduate Programme (EPGP), was launched for candidates with substantial industry exposure, modelled after international MBA programmes like INSEAD and IMD.
The motto derived from Sanskrit तेजस्वि नावधीतमस्तु (pronounced as tejasvi nāvadhītamastu) is an extract from the Shanti Mantra recited in Taittiriya Upanishad, Katha Upanishad, Mandukya Upanishad and Shvetashvatara Upanishad. The motto translates to 'Let our study be enlightening'.
The IIMB campus, occupying an area of over 100 acres, is located on Bannerghatta Road in Bangalore. It is in the southern parts of the city and accessible easily by public transport. The Banglaore metro Pink Line currently under construction will have a halt at IIMB. IIMB is in the process of setting up its second campus on the outskirts of the city near Jigani in Anekal.
IIM Bangalore was designed by Pritzker prize winning architect B. V. Doshi. Mr Doshi, also a Padma Bhushan awardee, had previously assisted Louis Kahn on the design of IIM Ahmedabad and then designed the renowned school of architecture at Ahmadabad (later renamed as CEPT). He was hence commissioned to design IIM Bangalore. The architecture of IIM Bangalore is inspired by the historic city of Fatehpur Sikri near Agra, and the Madurai temples in Tamil Nadu. The 54,000 sq mt IIMB complex, is built in granite stone, giving the campus a unique character. The conceptualisation of the campus began in 1973 and it was completed in 1983. Over the years, the once barren campus has become a green oasis with rich and diverse flora and fauna. The campus has been awarded for its sustainability practices.
The academic blocks were designed by Stein, Doshi & Bhalla architects led by B. V. Doshi and were completed by 1983. A few blocks were added later owing to the increase in the number of students being enrolled. The classes, faculty offices and other administrative entities are spread over the various blocks.
The library extends membership-based services to individuals, organizations, corporations and academic institutions. Alumni are encouraged to use the library facilities at a very nominal subscription charge.
Student Housing and Sports Centre
IIMB provides accommodation facilities to all the full-time long duration programmes. IIMB campus housing consists of 16 hostel blocks apart from one executive block and the executive accommodation at the Management Development Centre. The hostel consists of 16 blocks named from A to P. IIMB has separate facilities for soccer, cricket, tennis, basketball, volleyball, badminton, table tennis and pool. IIMB has a world-class sports centre with well-equipped courts for badminton and tennis, a gym and a swimming pool. IIMB has additional leased housing facilities in close proximity to the campus for additional accommodation.
Students of the one year MBA programme (EPGP) are temporarily accommodated at Ajmera Green Acres - one of the leased housing facilities on Bannerghatta road, until completion of EPGP hostel on campus. The Ajmera housing complex has a club house with integrated facilities like a fully equipped gym, infinity swimming pool, mini basketball court, pool, badminton and table tennis.
The institute has 24-hour internet connectivity with 600+ PCs and workstations. The campus is also fully WiFi enabled.
Startup Hub Incubation Centre for entrepreneurs - NSRCEL
The 'Nadathur Sarangapani Raghavan Centre for Entrepreneurial Learning', renamed NSRCEL, was set up in 2002 to aid the entrepreneurial activities at IIMB. The centre acts as an incubator for new business ideas where anyone can apply for incubation. As of April 2020, NSRCEL has incubated more than 240 start-ups with a combined value of $1.5 billion and created more than 5400 jobs. Students studying at IIMB are encouraged to leverage
IIMB has degree granting and certificate programmes. Prior to 2018, IIM Bangalore awarded diplomas instead of degrees because the IIMs were not set up as universities through an Act of Parliament but as societies under the Societies Act. The Indian Institutes of Management Act, 2017 enacted by the Ministry of Human Resource Development in December 2017 declared IIMs as Institutes of National Importance, thereby allowing IIMs to award degrees to their students instead of diplomas. Consequently, in 2018, IIM Bangalore became the first IIM to award MBA degree to the graduates of the Post Graduate Programme and later to the executive post graduate programme - the full-time MBA programmes of the BSchool.
Degree Granting Programmes
IIM Bangalore currently offers six degree-granting programmes: a full-time doctoral programme (FPM), three full-time MBA programmes (EPGP, PGP, PGPBA), an executive MBA programme (PGPEM)-, and a full-time programme in Public Policy (PGPPM).
IIMB, identifying the need and importance of a full-fledged liberal arts programme in a B School, has planned to start a 4-year UG programme in liberal arts in the year 2023 to be run from its new campus at Anekal.
|Programme||Duration||Specialization||Entry Route||Ranking and/ or accreditation|
|Doctoral Programme (Doctor of Business Administration)||5 Years - Full Time||Decision Sciences, Economics & Social Sciences, Entrepreneurship, Finance & Accounting, Information Systems, Marketing, Organizational Behaviour & Human Resources Management, Production & Operations Management, Public Policy, Strategy||GMAT, GRE, CAT, GATE, NET||The PHD programme (erstwhile called FPM), is a well recognized full-time campus-based DBA programme.|
|Post Graduate Programme (two year MBA)||2 Years - Full Time||General Management||CAT, GMAT||Globally ranked #26 in QS Global MIM ranking, also ranked #44 in FT Global MIM ranking.|
|1 Year - Full Time||General Management||GMAT, GRE||Globally ranked #27 in FT global MBA ranking, #1 amongst all globally ranked full-time MBA programmes in India in FT global ranking. #2 in India in QS Global MBA ranking.|
|Post Graduate Programme in Business Analytics (MBA-BA)||2 Years - Full Time||Business Analytics||CAT, GMAT||New programme is a subdivision of the two year MBA of IIMB.|
|Post Graduate Programme in Enterprise Management (executive MBA)||2 Years - Weekend||General Management||CAT, GMAT, GRE||Globally ranked #36 in QS executive MBA ranking. #1 and only executive MBA programme in India in QS executive MBA ranking.|
|Post Graduate Programme in Public Policy||1 Year - Full Time||Public Policy||CAT, GMAT, GRE, Government of India sponsored|
Full-time Certificate Programmes
IIM Bangalore offers two full-time certificate programmes.
- N. S. Ramaswamy Pre-doctoral Fellowship (NSR Pre-doc) - Launched in 2018.
- Mahatma Gandhi National Fellowship (MGNF) - Launched in 2020, this programme is an initiative of the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE), Government of India that is designed and implemented by IIM Bangalore and in collaboration with State Skill Development Missions. The two-year Fellowship seeks to combine classroom sessions at IIM Bangalore with an intensive field immersion at the district level to create credible plans and identify barriers in raising employment, economic output, and promote livelihoods in rural areas.
International Collaborations and Student Exchange Programmes
Students of the two-year MBA programme go on exchange programmes during the fifth term of the course. More than a hundred students from IIM Bangalore leave for global B-schools and an equivalent number arrive in Bangalore from various global B-schools.
IIM Bangalore conducts an international immersion programme for the one year MBA students in the fourth term. The two-week programme gives the students an opportunity to take courses in some of the leading universities in global business and innovation hubs. Structured around a visit to an emerging economy such as China, Russia, Brazil, and South Africa or a developed one in Europe or in the Asian region like Singapore or South Korea, the module provides insights into the country's economic, social, political and cultural life.
IIMB is the only Indian B School that is part of the Global Network for Advanced Management (GNAM) , a global collaboration of B schools led by Yale University. This enables students at IIMB to take courses offered under GNAM by any of the global schools during the elective terms.
Journal : IIMB Management Review (IMR)
IIMB Management Review (IMR) is a quarterly journal brought out by Indian Institute of Management Bangalore.
|Business – international|
|QS (MBA) (2020)||44|
|QS (MBA-Asia) (2020)||8|
|QS (EMBA-Asian) (2019)||63|
|Financial Times (MBA) (2020)||27|
|Financial Times (MiM) (2019)||44|
|Business/Management – India|
IIM Bangalore was ranked 2nd among management schools by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) 2020. Eduniversal, Paris has ranked Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB) first in Central Asia and India in 2020. IIMB has been ranked in the top 10 business schools globally by '2020 Positive Impact Ranking for Business Schools'.
Global MBA Ranking
The full-time One Year MBA programme (EPGP) is ranked 1 in India and 27 in the world amongst the top 100 Global MBA Programmes by the Financial Times. The one year MBA of IIM Bangalore has also been ranked 44 in the world by QS Global MBA 2020 ranking.
Global MIM Ranking
The full-time Two Year MBA programme (PGP) of IIMB is ranked 26 globally, amongst the top 100 Master's in Management programmes (MIM) by the 'QS Master in Management Ranking for 2020'. The two-year Masters programme was ranked 44 in 2019 by Financial Times in its Masters in Management Ranking.
Global EMBA Ranking
The part-time Weekend Executive MBA programme (PGPEM) is ranked 36 in 2020 QS Executive MBA ranking. It is the only Indian B-School to be ranked in the Top 50 EMBA ranking globally. IIMB also features in top 100 in the EMBA ranking by Financial Times.
There are several student-run clubs and societies at IIM Bangalore. The student bodies are divided into clubs, mini clubs, chapters and societies which are managed by the students themselves and are governed by the Students Affairs Council. The following are the list of clubs and societies.
Students Affairs Council
It is the apex body which controls all the aspects of student life including other clubs and societies.
The Academic Council is an elected body that facilitates the management of the academic system at IIM Bangalore. The council acts as an interface between students and faculty and is also responsible for the elective bidding process for courses by assessing the academic needs of the student community .
More than 100 companies across the globe visit the campus every year for summer and final placements. The placement processes are governed by the Career Development Services and facilitated by the Placement Committee.
Eximius is the annual entrepreneurship summit organized by IIM Bangalore. The event has hosted several eminent speakers including Shashi Tharoor, Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, Piyush Pandey, Mallika Sarabhai, Kris Gopalakrishnan, Kiran Bedi, Rashmi Bansal, Shaheen Mistri, Harish Hande, D R Mehta among others.
Unmaad is the flagship annual cultural festival of IIM Bangalore. The three-day event draws participants from across India. Unmaad features drama and music performances, dances, quizzes, debates, street plays, professional concerts and a fashion show. The event has hosted performances by prominent artistes including Farhan Akhtar, Shankar Ehsaan Loy, KK, Kailash Kher, Lucky Ali, Strings, Jethro Tull, Indian Ocean, etc.
Vista is an annual, international business summit hosted by IIM Bangalore. The three-day summit brings together leaders from the fields of marketing, finance, operations, human resources, consulting and social work. The platform lets students learn from business professionals through events, competitions and case studies. The event also incorporates guest speaker sessions. Previous speakers include Devi Shetty, Mukesh Ambani, Prahlad Kakkar, Kumar Mangalam Birla, Kamal Haasan, Kiran Mazumdar Shaw, Gurucharan Das, Justice Santosh Hegde, Arun Shourie, Gul Panag, M J Akbar, Nandita Das, Narain Karthikeyan and Shobhaa De.
IIMBue - IIMB Leadership Conclave
IIMB Leadership Conclave is an annual event.
Women Leadership Summit
Women Leadership Summit is organized every year in January by IIM Bangalore. It seeks to build gender-inclusive mind-sets among students, entrepreneurs, and corporates. The one-day event strives to create awareness through talks and workshops with prominent and inspiring personalities. The event has hosted eminent speakers including Vinita Bali, Malavika Harita, Sneha Priya, Lakshmi Ishwar, Wilma Rodrigues, Nirmala Sankaran, Neeta Revankar, Dr. Gita Sen, Gauri Jayaram, Sanjaya Sharma, etc.
IIMB research centres include: the Centre for Capital Markets and Risk Management (CCMRM), Centre for Corporate Governance and Citizenship (CCGC), Centre for Management Communication (CenComm), Centre for Public Policy (CPP), Centre for Software and Information Technology Management (CSITM), Centre for Teaching and Learning (CTL), India-Japan Study Centre (IJSC), Israel Centre, the innovation and entrepreneurship hub NSRCEL, and the Supply Chain Management Centre (SCMC). Moreover, there are four special initiatives, namely, the Behavioral Sciences Lab, Consumer Insights, Data Centre and Analytics Lab (DCAL) and the Real Estate Research Initiative (RERI).
Digital Education IIMBx
IIMB started offering Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) in 2014 through its digital learning initiative, IIMBx, in partnership with edX – a not-for-profit online initiative of Harvard and MIT. Apart from edX, the programme offers courses on its own platform, IIMBx, and Government of India's SWAYAM.
Career Development Services and Placements
IIMB is globally ranked 13th in 'careers' as per the FT Global MBA ranking 2020. The placement activities are led by the career development services with the support of student placement committees. The two year MBA follows a dual placement of summer placements in 1st year (for internship) followed by final placements in the 2nd year. Lateral placement process is followed for all the one year MBA students and few two year MBA students with higher experience, to match them with suitable senior-level positions in the industry.
In Popular Culture
The campus featured in the popular Bollywood film 3 Idiots directed by Rajkumar Hirani and starring Aamir Khan, Kareena Kapoor, Boman Irani, R. Madhavan and Sharman Joshi. The film is loosely based on the novel Five Point Someone by writer Chetan Bhagat. The 3 Idiots team saw over 400 colleges before finalising the beautiful campus of IIMB as the setting for the film.
- Indian Institutes of Management
- Indian Institute of Management Visakhapatnam
- Indian Institute of Management Tiruchirappalli
- Education in India
- "NIRF 2020" (PDF). IIM Bangalore.
- "Technical Education - Centrally funded Institutions - Management Education". education.nic.in. Archived from the original on 6 August 2011. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- "PGP". IIM Bangalore.
- "EPGP home". www.iimb.ac.in. Retrieved 12 February 2020.
- "PGPEM Home". www.iimb.ac.in. Retrieved 12 February 2020.
- RC Bhargava; Ajit Balakrishnan; Anusua Basu; Ram S Tarneja; Ashok Thakur (25 September 2008). "Report of IIM Review Committee" (PDF). Ministry of HRD, Government of India. Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 December 2010. Retrieved 19 March 2010.
- "About IIMB, history". IIMB. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "History of IIM Bangalore". IIMB. Retrieved 18 April 2020.
- Taittiriya Upanishad, Translated by Swami Gambhirananda, Published by Advaita Ashram, Kolkata
- "Motto". IIMB.ac.in. Retrieved 9 April 2020.
- https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/services/education/finally-iim-bengaluru-gets-land-for-its-second-campus/articleshow/51874405.cms. Missing or empty
- "IIMB Architecture Indian Institute of Management Bangalore". IIMB. 10 June 2009. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "You are being redirected..." www.iimb.ac.in. Retrieved 21 February 2021.
- "Library at Indian Institute of Management Bangalore". IIMB. 18 February 2009. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Accommodation at Indian Institute of Management Bangalore". IIMB. 26 May 2009. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Computer Centre | Indian Institute of Management Bangalore". IIMB. 26 May 2009. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Nadathur S. Raghavan Center for Entrepreneurial Learning, IIM Bangalore". Nsrcel.org. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- www.nsrcel.org https://www.nsrcel.org/. Retrieved 6 May 2019. Missing or empty
- "IIMs are free to choose between degree or diploma for their postgraduate students: HRD Ministry". India Today. 6 April 2018. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- Oct 29, Sruthy Susan Ullas / TNN / Updated; 2020; Ist, 04:57. "IIM-Bangalore to start UG programme in liberal arts in golden jubilee year | Bengaluru News - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 13 November 2020.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "DBA at IIM Bangalore". IIMB. Retrieved 23 April 2020.
- "PGP at IIM Bangalore". IIMB. Retrieved 23 April 2020.
- "EPGP at IIM Bangalore". IIMB. Retrieved 23 April 2020.
- "PGP-BA at IIM Bangalore". IIMB. Retrieved 23 April 2020.
- "PGPEM at IIM Bangalore". IIMB. Retrieved 23 April 2020.
- "PGPPM at IIM Bangalore". IIMB. Retrieved 23 April 2020.
- "N. S. Ramaswamy Pre-doctoral Fellowship at IIM Bangalore". IIMB. Retrieved 23 April 2020.
- "MGNF at IIM Bangalore". IIMB. Retrieved 23 April 2020.
- "Partner Schools of Indian Institute of Management Bangalore". IIMB. 3 June 2009. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "You are being redirected..." www.iimb.ac.in. Retrieved 10 February 2020.
- "You are being redirected..." www.iimb.ac.in. Retrieved 10 February 2020.
- "World University Rankings - Full Time MBA: Global 2020". topmba.com. 24 September 2019. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- "World University Rankings - Full Time MBA: Asia 2020". Top Universities. 24 September 2019. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- "Executive MBA Rankings - Asia Pacific 2019". topmba.com. 10 April 2019. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- "Business school rankings". Financial Times rankings. Retrieved 13 February 2020.
- "Business school rankings". Financial Times rankings. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2020 (Management)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Education. 11 June 2020.
- "University and business school ranking in India". www.eduniversal-ranking.com. Retrieved 10 February 2020.
- "Positive Impact Rating 2020: IIM Bangalore, XLRI Jamshedpur among top 30 global business schools". cnbctv18.com. Retrieved 10 February 2020.
- "World University Rankings - Masters In Management 2020". Top Universities. 24 September 2019. Retrieved 29 June 2020.
- "Business school rankings from the Financial Times - FT.com". rankings.ft.com. Retrieved 13 November 2020.
- Seshagiri, Mathang (4 January 2011). "IIM Trichy opens at NIT today, IIM-B To Handhold 11th IIM". The Times of India Bangalore. Retrieved 23 June 2016.
- "Welcome to IIM Visakhapatnam". IIM Visakhapatnam. Retrieved 23 June 2016.
- "Foundation stone ceremony at IIM Vizag". IIM Bangalore. IIM Bangalore. Retrieved 23 June 2016.
- "Spidi". Spidi2.iimb.ernet.in. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Acad Council". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "Placement at Indian Institute of Management Bangalore". IIMB. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "IIMB celebrates 42nd Foundation Day on October 28". indiaeducationdiary.in. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- "Iconic architect analyses reasons for urban decay". Deccan Herald. 29 October 2019. Retrieved 10 February 2020.
- "IIMB summit begins tomorrow". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 9 August 2013. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Shankar Ehsaan Loy live concert". buzzingtown.com. Archived from the original on 1 August 2012. Retrieved 19 September 2015.
- "Jethro Tull concert in city today". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 3 February 2006. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- Vista (IIM Bangalore's Annual Business Summit)
- "IIM-B to host music festival". The Hindu. Retrieved 7 February 2016.
- "Sunset to sunrise". The Hindu. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Music and dance extravaganza at IIM-B". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "IIMBue – IIMB Leadership Conclave". www.iimbue.com. Retrieved 13 September 2018.
- "Women leadership summit at IIM-B on Jan 13". Business Line. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- "Women's leadership summit held at IIMB". The Hindu. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- "IIM-Bangalore hosts second Annual Women Leadership Summit". The Economic Times. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- "IIMB Research". IIMB. Retrieved 12 September 2011.
- "You are being redirected..." www.iimb.ac.in. Retrieved 14 November 2020.
- Gautam, Vishwas (29 June 2008). "After Munna, Raju focuses on Idiots". The Times of India. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Making of 3 Idiots in IIMB campus | Aamir Khan | Kareena Kapoor | Madhavan | Chetan Bhagat - YouTube". www.youtube.com. Retrieved 21 February 2021.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Indian Institute of Management Bangalore.|