Indian Institute of Management Bangalore
Motto in English
|May our study be brilliant and effective|
|Type||Public business school|
|Chairperson||Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw |
|Location||Bangalore, Karnataka, India
|Campus||Urban, 100 acres (0.4 km2)|
Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (also known as IIMB) is a public business school located in Bangalore, Karnataka, India. Founded in 1973, it was the third IIM to be established, after IIM Calcutta and IIM Ahmedabad. It is consistently ranked as one of the best business schools in India and the Asia Pacific region.
It offers Post Graduate, Doctoral and executive training programmes. The Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGP), a two-year, full-time residential MBA programme is IIMB's flagship programme. In addition to its main academic programmes, IIMB is also engaged in facilitating research, offering consultant services, conducting seminars and academic conferences and publishing journals.
- 1 History
- 2 Motto
- 3 Academics
- 4 Rankings
- 5 Campus
- 6 Image gallery
- 7 Campus life
- 8 Events
- 9 Research
- 10 Faculty
- 11 Alumni
- 12 In popular culture
- 13 See also
- 14 References
- 15 External links
In 1972, a committee headed by Professor Ravi J. Matthai, seeing the rising demand for graduates of the first two IIMs namely IIM Calcutta and IIM Ahmedabad, recommended the need to have two more IIMs. While the first two IIMs were oriented towards the private sector, it was decided that the new institution shall be oriented towards public sector to cater to its growing needs of management graduates. The Institute at Bangalore was consequently set up next year, designed to cater exclusively to the needs of Public Sector enterprises. For the proposed institute, the Government of Karnataka offered 100 acres of land free of cost and a contribution of Rs.3 million. T. A. Pai agreed to be the chairman and N S Ramaswamy, who was then director of National Institute of Industrial Engineering, was appointed the director. The institute was inaugurated by Indira Gandhi, the then Prime Minister of India, on 28 October 1973. The institute was started in St. Joseph's College of Commerce, and some other buildings, which were rented. The new institute came up at Bannerghatta Road in South Bangalore.
The motto derived from Sanskrit तेजस्वि नावधीतमस्तु (pronounced as tejasvi nāvadhītamastu) is an extract from the Shanti Mantra recited in Taittiriya Upanishad, Katha Upanishad, Mandukya Upanishad and Shvetashvatara Upanishad. The motto translates to May our study be vigorous and effective. IIMB’s mission is to "build leaders through holistic, transformative and innovative education."
IIM Bangalore awards diplomas and not degrees. IIMs have not been set up as universities through an act of Parliament but as charitable societies. IIMs lack regular peer-based academic review of their departments/areas, an oversight proposed to be corrected by legislation governing all 13 IIMs after the Ministry of Human Resource Development rejected IIMB's plan to award degrees. IIM Bangalore currently offers the following long-duration post-graduate programmes:
- Post-Graduate Programme in Management (PGP): Two-year full-time residential programme, leading up to Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM) is the flagship programme of IIM Bangalore. The first step in admission to the PGP is through the Common Admission Test (CAT) which is followed by a written round and an interview.
- Fellow Programme in Management (FPM): The fellow programme is the doctoral programme started in 1976 to encourage academic research. The Financial Times has ranked IIMB's doctoral program in the Top 50 globally.
- Post Graduate Programme in Enterprise Management (PGPEM): A part-time two-year Post Graduate Programme that targets executives from all sectors of business, providing general management education to middle and senior management professionals.
- Executive Post Graduate Programme in Management (EPGP): One-year full-time residential post graduate diploma programme aimed primarily at candidates with 4 to 15 years of work experience. The first step in admission to the EPGP is through the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) followed by work experience based shortlisting and a personal interview.
- Post Graduate Programme in Public Policy Management (PGPPM): Initiated by the Government of India and United Nations Development Programme for senior professionals from the Government administration to enable them to make future policy decisions.
- Post Graduate Programme in Aerospace and Aviation Management: IIMB signed an agreement with Toulouse Business School in March 2014 to set up country's first Executive General Management Programme in Aerospace and Aviation Management. Airbus, one of the world's leading aircraft manufacturers is sponsoring the part-time programme.
Further, the Executive Education Programme (EEP) caters to a wide variety of organizations in government, the public and private sectors and non-governmental organizations, with open and customized programmes ranging from two days to one year. The International Masters Program in Practicing Management (IMPM), an international collaborative executive education program jointly offered by IIMB with INSEAD, McGill University, Lancaster University and a consortium of Japanese universities is globally recognized as a major innovation in executive education. The N.S. Raghavan Centre for Entrepreneurial Learning (NSRCEL) at IIMB also offers courses for entrepreneurs and owners of family businesses.
|Business – international|
|Business – India|
IIMB has been recognized as the number one business school in Central Asia for the fourth successive year by Eduniversal Rankings and it is one of the only two business schools in India to be awarded 5 palmes. IIMB was ranked fourth in the QS Global 200 Business Schools Report in the Asia-Pacific region for 2013. In India IIMB was ranked first by the Zee News India's best b-school survey 2012, second by the Hindustan Times India's top 50 business schools of 2011, second by the 2012 edition of CNBC-TV18's Top B-Schools in India and ranks second in the Careers360 Top B-Schools in India 2015. The Financial Times Global B-School Rankings ranked IIM Bangalore's Doctoral Program in the Top 50 globally while ranking its one-year MBA (EPGP) as one of the top 3 regular MBA programmes in India and at No. 68 globally in its Global MBA rankings in 2014. According to the QS Global 200 Business Schools report, students from IIMB are the world's most academically distinguished with an average GMAT score of 780, considerably higher than those of the likes of Harvard or Stanford.
The current campus located at Bannerghatta road in Bengaluru was designed by architect B. V. Doshi and was completed in 1983. The campus occupying an area of over 100-acres is located in south Bangalore. IIMB is known for its unique all-stone architecture and lush woods.
The academic blocks were designed by Stein, Doshi & Balla architects led by B. V. Doshi and were completed by 1983. A few blocks were added later owing to the increase in the number of students being enrolled. Currently, there are blocks lettered from A to P where classes, faculty offices and other administrative entities are located. The classes are fully air conditioned with state of art facilities.
The library is housed in a 55,000 square feet complex consisting of four floors. This fully automated state of art facility consists of about 235,000 documents and books apart from 85,000 journals are available for reference. The library also subscribes to 27 newspapers and more than 200 newsletters.
IIMB consists of 16 hostel blocks apart from one executive block and the executive accommodation at the Management Development Center. The hostel consists of 16 blocks named from A to P. IIMB has separate facilities for soccer, cricket, tennis, basketball, volleyball, badminton, table tennis and pool. An integrated indoor sports complex with a swimming pool is under construction.
The Auditorium is situated within the academic blocks. It has a seating capacity of 500 people and plays host to various events, functions and guest lectures held at the institute.
The institute has a 24-hour Internet connectivity with 600+ PCs and workstations. The campus is also fully WiFi enabled.
Nadathur S. Raghavan Centre for Entrepreneurial Learning (NSRCEL) was set up in 2002 to aid the entrepreneurial activities at IIMB. The center acts an incubator for new business ideas.
There are several student-run clubs and societies at IIM Bangalore. The student bodies are divided into clubs, mini clubs, chapters and societies are managed by the students themselves and are governed by the Student Affairs Council. The following are the list of clubs and societies.
Students Affairs Council
It is the apex body which controls all the aspects of student life including other clubs and societies.
The Academic Council is an elected body that facilitates the management of the academic system at IIM Bangalore. The Council acts as the interface between students and faculty and is also responsible for course bidding process.
More than 100 companies across the globe visit the campus every year for summers and final placements. The placement processes are governed by the Career Development Services and facilitated by the Placement Committee.
IIM Bangalore has an extensive network of partner B-schools worldwide through which it conducts student exchange programmes. Students of the flagship MBA program can go an exchange programme during the 5th term of the course. More than a hundred students from IIM Bangalore leave for foreign institutes and an equivalent number from various B-schools arrive in Bangalore. The institutes with which IIM Bangalore has student exchange relationships are
- Concordia University, Montreal
- McGill University, Montreal
- Queen's School of Business, Queen's University
- Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario
- Schulich School of Business, York University, Toronto
- University of Alberta, Edmonton
- Peter B. Gustavson School of Business, University of Victoria
- Sauder School of Business, University of British Columbia
- Wilfred Laurier University
- Audencia Nantes School of Management
- Bordeaux Management School
- EDHEC Business School, Lille
- EMLYON Business School
- ESC Bretagne Brest, Brest
- ESCP School of International Business, Longuenesse
- ESCP-EAP European School of Management, Paris
- ESSEC Business School, Cergy-Pontoise
- Euromed Marseille Ecole de Management, Marseille
- Grenoble School of Management, Grenoble
- Groupe ESC Troyes, Troyes
- Groupe Sup de Co Montpellier Business School, Montpellier
- HEC School of Management, Paris
- Institute de Administration des Enterprises de Paris
- IESEG School of Management
- KEDGE Business School
- Reims Management School, Reims
- European Business School, Oestrich-Winkel
- Handelshochschule, Leipzig
- Mannheim Business School, Mannheim
- Technische Universität München, Munich
- University of Cologne, Cologne
- University of Erlangen, Nuremberg
- University of Oldenburg, Oldenburg
- WHU-Otto Beisheim School of Management, Vallendar
- Zeppelin University, Friedrichshafen
- South Africa
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- United States
- Booth School of Business, University of Chicago
- Fogelman College of Business and Economics, University of Memphis
- J. Mack Robinson College of Business, Georgia State University, Atlanta
- Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, North Carolina
- Mays Business School, Texas A&M University, Texas
- D'Amore-McKim School of Business, Northeastern University, Boston
- NYU Stern School of Business, New York
- Rady School of Management, University of California, San Diego
- Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland, Maryland
- San Jose State University, San Jose
- Fuqua School of Business, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina
- Johnson School, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York
- Thunderbird School of Global Management, Glendale
- UCLA Anderson School of Management, University of California, Los Angeles
- McCombs School of Business, University of Texas, Austin
- Foster School of Business, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington
- McDonough School of Business, Georgetown University
Doctoral exchange is also available with schools such as National University of Singapore, University of Cologne and schools in the United States. Scholarships are provided by partner schools or by government grants such as German Academic Exchange Service.
- Alumni Committee, alumni affairs
- Anveshan, adventure and mountaineering club
- Bookrack, book lending and literature
- Cultural Committee, cultural activities
- Dress Circle, movie and photography
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation Cell (EnI), entrepreneurship and innovation
- Exchange Committee, students exchange programme
- Forum for Industrial Interaction (FII), industry interaction 
- HMC, hostel and mess council
- ICON, consulting
- IQ, quizzing and literature
- MARS, merchandising and retailing
- MASH, marketing
- Networth, finance
- Sigma, systems and IT
- Students Media Cell, media relations
- Sports Committee, sporting activities and facilities
- Vikasana, social service
- Dramatics, drama and arts
- Expressions, creativity and magazine
- OpMac, operations
- Taal, dance
- Mitr, student counseling
- ShARE, knowledge sharing
- SpicMacay, music and arts
- Toastmasters, local chapter of TM international
- Srinivasa Ramanujam Club for Finance, Markets and Securities
- HiTech Club
Eximius is the annual entrepreneurship summit organized by IIM Bangalore. The three day event focuses on entrepreneurship and generation of new business ideas. The event has hosted several eminent speakers including Dr.Shashi Tharoor, Dr.Kiran Mazumdar Shaw, Piyush Pandey, Dr.Mallika Sarabhai, Kris Gopalakrishnan, Dr.Kiran Bedi, Rashmi Bansal, Shaheen Mistri, Harish Hande, D R Mehta, Siddharth Mallya among others.
Unmaad is the flagship annual cultural festival of IIM Bangalore. The three-day event draws participants from across India. Unmaad features drama and music performances, dances, quizzes, debates, street plays, professional concerts and a fashion show. The event has hosted performances by artists including Farhan Akhtar, Shankar Ehsaan Loy, KK, Kailash Kher, Lucky Ali, Strings, Jethro Tull, Indian Ocean.
Vista is an annual, international business summit hosted by IIM Bangalore. The three-day summit brings together leaders from the fields of marketing, finance, operations, human resources, consulting and social work. The platform lets students learn from business professionals through events, competitions and case studies. The event also incorporates guest speaker sessions. Previous speakers include Dr. Devi Shetty, Mukesh Ambani, Prahlad Kakkar, Kumar Mangalam Birla, Kamal Haasan, Kiran Mazumdar Shaw, Gurucharan Das, Justice Santosh Hegde, Dr. Arun Shourie, Gul Panag, M J Akbar, Nandita Das, Narain Karthikeyan and Shobhaa De.
Research in IIM Bangalore is performed in research centers focusing on different aspects of managements. These include the ERP Research Centre, Centre for Insurance Research and Education, N S Raghavan Centre for Entrepreneurial Learning, Centre for Public Policy, Centre for Software & Information Technology Management, Centre for Development of Cases and Teaching Aids, Centre for Corporate Governance and Citizenship Centre for Capital Market & Risk Management, Centre for Financial Markets and Institutions and the Supply Chain Management Centre.
Past and present faculty at IIM Bangalore include many prominent scholars who have gone on to become pioneers in their fields. Notable of them include:
- J Ramachandran, Chartered accountant, first Bain fellow in India and rated one of the best b-school professors in India
- Mendu Rammohan Rao, Former Director of IIM Bangalore and Dean Emeritus of Indian School of Business
- Prakash Apte, former Director of IIM Bangalore and UTI Chair in Capital Market Studies
- R Narayanaswamy, Chartered accountant, Visiting Professor at Manchester Business School and Osaka University and rated one of the best b-school professors in India
- Rajeev Gowda, Spokesperson for the Indian National Congress and former Chairperson of the Centre for Public Policy
- Ravi Neelakantan, Senior Fellow at Centre for Public Policy, IFS Officer and former diplomat
- Trilochan Sastry, Former Dean(Academic) and visiting professor at International University of Japan, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and Indian School of Business
IIM Bangalore has a strong alumni network with its alumni taking over many prestigious positions across the world. IIMB Alumni Association (IIMBAA) manages interactions with the Alumni network and keeps them engaged with the business school. Anusmaran, a yearly event conducted across multiple cities in the world serves as a rendezvous. Some of the prominent alumni include academicians such as Aswath Damodaran and Raghavendra Rau, author Karan Bajaj and film maker Nila Madhab Panda. K. Radhakrishnan, Chairman of ISRO and business executives like Ravi Subramanian and Sameer Suneja were also IIMB graduates.
In popular culture
The campus was the site for the shooting of the Bollywood film 3 Idiots directed by Rajkumar Hiranii and starring Aamir Khan, Kareena Kapoor, Boman Irani, R. Madhavan and Sharman Joshi. The film is loosely based on the famous novel Five Point Someone by Indian writer Chetan Bhagat.
- Taittiriya Upanishad, Translated by Swami Gambhirananda, Published by Advaita Ashram, Kolkata
- "Shaw replaces Ambani as IIMB chairperson".
- "Technical Education - Centrally funded Institutions - Management Education". education.nic.in. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- Bangalore, Ahmedabad and Kolkata IIMs make it to Asia-Pacific top 10 again, The Times of India, Shruti Susan Ullas, TNN | 15 Feb 2012, original primary source, QS Global 200 Business Schools Report 2012
- "University and business school ranking in 5 Palmes". Eduniversal-ranking.com. Retrieved 2012-11-02.
- "The 50 best business schools". Business Today. 28 October 2012. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- RC Bhargava, Ajit Balakrishnan, Anusua Basu, Ram S Tarneja, Ashok Thakur (25 September 2008). "Report of IIM Review Committee" (PDF). Ministry of HRD, Government of India. Retrieved 19 March 2010.
- "About IIMB, history".
- "IIMs give diplomas not degrees". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 1 May 2011. Retrieved 2012-05-04.
- "Prospective Students, Indian Institute of Management Bangalore". IIMB. Retrieved 12 September 2011.
- iimbwebmaster (11 February 2009). "Executive Post Graduate Programme in Management | Indian Institute of Management Bangalore". IIMB. Retrieved 2012-11-02.
- "IIMB launches India's first aviation management programme". Jagran Josh. Retrieved 2015-06-04.
- "French experts teach aviation in India". Deccan Herald. Retrieved 2015-06-04.
- "IIM Bangalore - Programmes offered". IIMB. Retrieved 2015-06-04.
- "QS World University Rankings". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2011. Retrieved February 12, 2012.
- "India's top 50 business schools" (jpg). Hindustan Times. 30 August 2011. Retrieved 26 December 2011.
- "Top B-Schools in India". CNBC-TV18. 12 January 2012. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "Top Business Colleges in India 2015". Careers 360. Retrieved December 2014.
- "Zee business school survey, 2012". Zee News. Retrieved 2015-06-04.
- "Global B-school rankings, 2015". Financial Times. Retrieved 2015-06-04.
- "IIMB makes debut in global rankings". Business Standard. Retrieved 2015-06-04.
- "Indian MBA students world's most academically distinguished: Survey - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- iimbwebmaster (10 June 2009). "IIMB Architecture Indian Institute of Management Bangalore". IIMB. Retrieved 2012-05-04.
- iimbwebmaster (18 February 2009). "Library | Indian Institute of Management Bangalore". Iimb.ernet.in. Retrieved 2012-11-02.
- iimbwebmaster (26 May 2009). "Accommodation | Indian Institute of Management Bangalore". Iimb.ernet.in. Retrieved 2012-11-02.
- iimbwebmaster (26 May 2009). "Computer Centre | Indian Institute of Management Bangalore". Iimb.ernet.in. Retrieved 2012-11-02.
- "Nadathur S. Raghavan Center for Entrepreneurial Learning, IIM Bangalore | NSRCEL IIM Bangalore". Nsrcel.org. Retrieved 2012-11-02.
- "Home". Spidi2.iimb.ernet.in. Retrieved 2012-11-02.
- "Acad Council". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "Placement | Indian Institute of Management Bangalore". Iimb.ernet.in. Retrieved 2012-11-02.
- Anonymous (3 June 2009). "Partner Schools | Indian Institute of Management Bangalore". Iimb.ernet.in. Retrieved 2012-11-02.
- "Student Alumni Committee". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "Anveshan". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "Bookrack". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "CulCom". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "DressCircle". Dresscircle-iimb.blogspot.in. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "Entrepreneurship and Innovation Cell". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "Student Exchange Committee". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "FII". IIMB/~fii/. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "HMC". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "ICON". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- iQ (3 September 2012). "iQ: Quizzing & Lits at IIM Bangalore". Iq-iimb.blogspot.in. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "MARS". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "MASH". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "Networth". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "SIGMA". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "Media Cell". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "Sports Committee". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "Vikasana". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "Dramatics". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "Expressions". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "OpMac". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "Bharath". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "Debsoc". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "ENS". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "Mitr". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "Share". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "SpicMacay". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "Toastmasters". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "Prayaas". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "IIMB summit begins tomorrow". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 9 August 2013.
- "Shankar Ehsaan Loy live concert". buzzingtown.com. Retrieved 19 September 2015.
- "Jethro Tull concert in city today". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 3 February 2006.
- Vista (IIM Bangalore's Annual Business Summit)
- "iimbresearch". iimb.ernet.in. Retrieved 12 September 2011.
- "India's best b-school professors". Business Today. Retrieved 19 September 2015.
- "Faculty of ISB". ISB. Retrieved 19 September 2015.
- "Prakash Apte is new IIM director". The Times Of India. 8 October 2002.
- "ISEC India team". ISEC India. Retrieved 19 September 2015.
- "Trilochan Sastry, Profile". IIMB. Retrieved 19 September 2015.
- "After Munna, Raju focuses on Idiots". The Times of India. 29 June 2008. Retrieved 2012-05-04.
Cite error: Invalid
<ref> tag; name "Eduniversal-ranking.com" defined multiple times with different content
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Indian Institute of Management Bangalore.|