Indian Institute of Management Shillong
|Indian Institute of Management Shillong|
|Type||Public business school|
|Director||Dr. Amitabh De|
|Location||Shillong, Meghalaya, India
|Campus||Urban, 120 acres (0.5 km2)|
The Rajiv Gandhi Indian Institute of Management (RGIIM), Shillong (abbreviated IIM Shillong or IIM-S), is an autonomous business school located in Shillong, Meghalaya, India. It was established in 2008 by the Government of India and is the seventh IIM to be established.
Prior to the 2008 establishment of an Indian Institute of Management in Shillong, the North Eastern region of India lacked adequate facilities for higher education, particularly in technical and managerial fields. In September 2004, the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region and North Eastern Council set about determining which state in the Northeast India would be the region's first Indian Institute of Management. By October 2005, the groups had selected Shillong as the new location for India's seventh Indian Institute of Management. The initial plans called for laying the foundation stone in January 2006. However, the Cabinet of India took until February 2007 to approve setting up of the school at Shillong (Meghalaya). The new institute was named the "Rajiv Gandhi Indian Institute of Management (RGIIM), Shillong", and was to have 60 students in the first year and 180 students in its 6th year of operation. The foundation stone for the school was laid December 1, 2007, and the first academic session began on Friday, July 4, 2008.
IIM Shillong represented India in the Asia Pacific round of the Global Investment Research Challenge (GIRC) twice in succession (2011 and 2012). In June 2012, Indian B-Schools published by Business World ranked IIM eighth among the best business schools in India.
The Institute is currently functioning from a temporary campus in the Mayurbhanj Complex (the erstwhile summer palace of Mayurbhanj Kings). The Campus includes a main building wherein the administrative office, faculty offices, classrooms, library and conference halls are housed. Apart from the main building, the Institute also has an auditorium, guesthouse, number of small syndicate rooms (separate) and PGP student hostels (Old and New), within the campus. Faculty residences are situated just adjacent to the campus. Work is underway on the 120-acre land allotted by the Government, for construction of an academic cum residential campus. The Centre for Development of North Eastern Region (CEDNER) formerly known as The Accelerated Learning Centre (ALC), of the Indian Institute of Management Shillong has been constituted and is involved in organizing both short term and long term programmes relevant to the local community and society of the state and the region.
Students are admitted to the school through the Common Admission Test conducted in November each year. IIM Shillong does not have any admission reservations for students from Meghalaya or North East India.
The Cover Story is usually about a contemporary issue or aspect of Marketing, with an Indian perspective. The Editorial team often collaborates with a specialist on the field for this section. The interview section is called Vartalaap and has several prominent business-leaders and academicians expressing their views about the current Marketing scenario.
Productolysis dissects the effectiveness of the marketing campaign for a particular product and readers can send their contributions for this section. Pandora's Box and Perspectives invite contributions from readers on the prevalent marketing trends.The contributors vie for the prestigious title of the Article of the Month. Eye2Eye presents two sides of the argument on a Marketing issue, and has contributions from the readers.
There is a section which gives the latest updates about brand launches and other news on the marketing scene in India. A popular print advertisement designing competition called Silent Voice is one of the most popular features of the magazine and sees contributions from across the country.
- Dipak C. Jain: Dean Emeritus of the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University; he wrote on the Current Trends in Marketing in the November 2009 issue of Markathon.
- Nirmalya Kumar: Renowned author and Professor at The London Business School; he was interviewed for the July 2009 issue.
- Professor Douglas M Turco: Professor of Sports Management, Drexel University contributed on the Cover Story "Sports Sponsorship: Going for the gold" in the July 2009 issue.
- Devita Saraf: CEO, VU Technologies and Executive Director, Zenith Computers was interviewed for the Nov 2009 issue where she spoke about marketing luxury goods.
- Sanjay Tripathy: Executive Vice President - Marketing and Direct Sales Channels, HDFC Standard Life was interviewed for the maiden issue of Markathon in April 2009
- Sridharan Ramprasad: CEO, Lerros India talked about potential of Indian fashion industry as well as the growth strategy of Lerros in India in the June 2009 issue.
- Nadia Chauhan: Jt MD & CMO of Parle Agro,her interview appeared in the Aug-Sep 2009 issue where she talked about the rich tradition of innovation at Parle.
- Ramesh Jude Thomas: President and CKO, Equitor Consulting; he spoke about innovative ways of brand mortgaging to leverage brand equity in the Aug-Sep 2009 issue.
- Jigyasa L Dhir: A marketing consultant, she wrote on the cover story on Value Added Services in the Oct 2009 issue.
- Sanjeeb Kakoty: Prominent scholar on North East Indian topics and Sustainability, he contributed on the Cover Story for the Nov 2009 issue.
The club has activities round the year attracting student participants from over 65- B-schools pan India. ConQuest reached greater heights last year with its annual magazine Collector’s Edition inaugurated by honourable Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam. Besides this the monthly newsletter- Ezine, received articles from both students and corporates like Infosys, Accenture, etc. We had eminent personalities like Ms. Rama Bijapurkar (Leading thought leader on market strategy and consumer economy), Munish Chawla (Founder Director, NRVESTIN & Virtuoso Sales Solution), Mr. Sandip Biswas (Director, TMT, Strategy and Operation, Deloitte Consulting) sharing their thoughts with our students. ConQuest successfully completed live projects for Airtel, Deloitte, Knowledge Faber, Biz Research Lab & Zenesys consulting through which the students imbibed tremendous learning. The tri-annual event Battleground 2.0, received huge response with over 400 participants and more than 1300 likes on Facebook. Consulting Club’s flagship event “VainQueur”, in annual management festival of IIM Shillong, was sponsored by ONGC and received participation from 350 teams. In future, ConQuest aims to grow bigger with more reach and initiatives, facilitating greater interaction between corporate stalwarts and students building a long term symbiotic relationship.
- "Seventh IIM to be set up in Shillong". The Hindu (Chennai, India). Oct 25, 2005. Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- "Achievements Of Ministry Of Doner", Hindustan Times, May 29, 2006, retrieved January 2, 2014
- Nandini R Iyer (September 28, 2004), "NE states to take call on new IIM", Hindustan Times
- "Seventh IIM to be set up in Shillong", The Hindu, October 25, 2005: 12, retrieved January 2, 2014
- "Rajya Sabha nod for Manipur University Bill", The Hindu, December 1, 2005, retrieved January 2, 2014
- "North East to get its own IIM", Hindustan Times, February 22, 2007, retrieved January 2, 2014
- Kalpana Pathak (July 25, 2007), "IIM Shillong to begin operations next year", Business Standard: 15, retrieved January 2, 2014
- "Foundation stone for IIM Shillong to be laid tomorrow", Oneindia.in, November 30, 2007, retrieved January 2, 2014
- "Country's seventh IIM starts from today", Hindustan Times, July 3, 2008, retrieved January 2, 2014
- "IIMS wins GIRC national finals". Retrieved 2012-05-01.
- "Business World Rankings" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-07-17.
- "RGIIM offers postgraduate programme in management". Retrieved 2007-09-21.
- "No quota for NE students at IIM Shillong". Retrieved 2007-09-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Indian Institute of Management Shillong.|
- IIM Shillong official website