Indian Institute of Management Shillong
|Type||Public business school|
|Director||Dr. Amitabh De|
|Location||Shillong, Meghalaya, India
|Campus||Urban, 120 acres (0.5 km2)|
The Rajiv Gandhi Indian Institute of Management (RGIIM), Shillong (abbreviated IIM Shillong or IIM-S), is an autonomous business school located in Shillong, Meghalaya, India. It was established in 2008 by the Government of India and is the seventh Indian Institutes of Management to be established.
The initial plans called for laying the foundation stone in January 2006. However, the Cabinet of India took until February 2007 to approve setting up of the school at Shillong (Meghalaya). The new institute was named the "Rajiv Gandhi Indian Institute of Management (RGIIM), Shillong", and was to have 60 students in the first year and 180 students in its 6th year of operation. The foundation stone for the school was laid 1 December 2007, and the first academic session began on Friday, 4 July 2008.
IIM Shillong represented India in the Asia Pacific round of the Global Investment Research Challenge (GIRC) twice in succession (2011 and 2012). In June 2012, Indian B-Schools published by Business World ranked IIM eighth among the best business schools in India.
The Institute is currently functioning from a temporary campus in the Mayurbhanj Complex. The campus includes a main building wherein the administrative office, faculty offices, classrooms, library and conference halls are housed. Apart from the main building, the Institute also has an auditorium, guesthouse, number of small syndicate rooms (separate) and PGP student hostels, within the campus. Faculty residences are situated just adjacent to the campus.
Work is underway on the 120-acre land allotted by the Government, for construction of new campus.
Students are admitted to the school through the Common Admission Test conducted in November each year. IIM Shillong does not have any admission reservations for students from Meghalaya or North East India.
Markathon is the marketing e-magazine of the Indian Institute of Management which was created in 2009 by the PGDM studentsand is released by the Marketing Club of the Indian Institute of Management Shillong. APJ Abdul Kalam collapsed in the campus while delivering a lecture and was rushed to the hospital in a critical condition .He died two hours later of a cardiac arrest.
- "Seventh IIM to be set up in Shillong". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 25 Oct 2005. Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- "Achievements Of Ministry Of Doner", Hindustan Times, 29 May 2006, retrieved 2 January 2014
- Nandini R Iyer (28 September 2004), "NE states to take call on new IIM", Hindustan Times
- "Seventh IIM to be set up in Shillong", The Hindu, 25 October 2005: 12, retrieved 2 January 2014
- "Rajya Sabha nod for Manipur University Bill", The Hindu, 1 December 2005, retrieved 2 January 2014
- "North East to get its own IIM", Hindustan Times, 22 February 2007, retrieved 2 January 2014
- Kalpana Pathak (25 July 2007), "IIM Shillong to begin operations next year", Business Standard: 15, retrieved 2 January 2014
- "Foundation stone for IIM Shillong to be laid tomorrow", Oneindia.in, 30 November 2007, retrieved 2 January 2014
- "Country's seventh IIM starts from today", Hindustan Times, 3 July 2008, retrieved 2 January 2014
- "Business World Rankings" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-07-17.
- "RGIIM offers postgraduate programme in management". Retrieved 2007-09-21.
- "No quota for NE students at IIM Shillong". Retrieved 2007-09-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Indian Institute of Management Shillong.|
- IIM Shillong official website