Indian Institute of Petroleum and Energy
|Type||Institute of National Importance, Public|
|President||M. K. Surana|
|Director||Prof. VSRK Prasad|
|Undergraduates||100 per year|
|Campus||210 acres (0.8 km2)|
Indian Institute of Petroleum and Energy (IIPE), is a Petroleum University established in 2016 at Visakhapatnam in the state of Andhra Pradesh. IIPE is offering undergraduate courses in Petroleum and Chemical Engineering. Recently the Parliament has passed Indian Institute of Petroleum and Energy Bill, 2017 which has declared the institute as an institution of National Importance.
The university has been allotted 210 acres of land in Anthakapalli Village, near Sabbavaram mandal, Vishakhapatnam. IIPE has collaborated with oil majors like HPCL, IOCL, ONGC, GAIL, OIL, OIDB, BPCL, and the Ministry of Industry and Commerce and with an academic mentorship from IIT-Kharagpur till 2019.
The Minister of State (I/C) for Petroleum & Natural Gas, Shri Dharmendra Pradhan launched the website of Indian Institute of Petroleum & Energy (IIPE), Visakhapatnam on 27/05/2016
The first batch of Petroleum and Chemical Engineering commenced from the first week of August 2016. As of now the maximum intake capacity for each course is 50 seats.
B.Tech (Petroleum Engineering)
Petroleum engineering is the branch of engineering with primary focus on exploration and production of Oil & Gas. The objective of the programme is to prepare graduates for professional practice in industry in the field of petroleum engineering technology with emphasis on upstream activities that encompass exploration, reservoir and production. The programme intends to create technical professionals who are fit to take on engineering responsibilities across the entire value-chain in the Oil & Gas Industry a specialization that has seen growing demand in the recent years. The programme is designed to develop skills and understanding in the fundamental aspects of petroleum engineering and apply best global practices in the Oil & Gas sector fields of natural gas processing, gas transportation and gas utilization techniques.
B.Tech (Chemical Engineering)
The programme aims to develop competent Chemical Engineers with specific emphasis on industry centric talent requirements. The programme plans to expose the students to the fundamentals of Chemical Engineering and instill innovative thinking to solve the problems related to energy, environment, etc. This programme intends to create professionals who can fit in well in a dynamic sector where they come across various technological advancements. During the course, emphasis will be laid to foster student's ability to deal with complex problems in multidisciplinary situations.
- A candidate should have cleared JEE Advanced to seek admission in IIPE.
- Along with IITs, ISM and RGIPT, IIPE takes admissions on the basis of ranks in JEE Advanced.
- The candidate should have 75% minimum aggregate marks (70% in case of SC/ST/Physical Disability) in class 12th or equivalent.
- IIT Kharagpur will be playing a role of an mentor for IIPE till 2019. The institute will be guiding through the admissions, student registrations, forming academic regulation, curriculum, and faculty related disciplines of Petroleum and Chemical Engineering.
- Andhra University will be helping the deemed university with the infrastructure and resources. Since construction of the new campus will take five to six years it will be a temporary campus. The first batch that is started in the first week of August will have their classes in Andhra University’s main building, College of Engineering. The students will have full access to their facilities and resources like laboratories, e-library, Wi-Fi, etc.
- "Winter Session of Parliament updates: Rajya Sabha passes Indian Institute of Petroleum and Energy Bill, 2017 LIVE News, Latest Updates, Live blog, Highlights and Live coverage - Firstpost". Firstpost. 2017-12-27. Retrieved 2017-12-29.
- "150 acres of land allotted for petro varsity - Times of India". Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- Market, Capital. "Petroleum Minister Launches Website of IIPE Visakhapatnam". Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- "Kharagpur IIT to mentor IIPE for three years". Retrieved 2016-07-07.