Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram
IISER TVM logo
|Dean||Prof. K. George Thomas, Prof. Srinivasa Murty, Dr. M. P. Rajan, Dr. Anil Shaji|
Thiruvananthapuram (Transitional), Kerala, India
The Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram (Hindi: भारतीय विज्ञान शिक्षा एवं अनुसंधान संस्थान; Malayalam: ഭാരതീയ ശാസ്ത്ര പഠന ഗവേഷണ വിദ്യാപീഠം, തിരുവനന്തപുരം), often abbreviated to IISER Thiruvananthapuram or IISER-TVM, is an institution of higher education established by the Government of India in 2008 based on the recommendations of the Scientific Advisory Council of India. The institute awards five-year integrated Master of Science degrees in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. There are also facilities for doing research in these areas leading to the award of PhD. It is emerging as one of the premier science institutes in India in terms of academic excellence and research.
IISER-TVM is currently located in the campus of the College of Engineering, Trivandrum (CET). A site of 200 acres (0.81 km2) for establishing a permanent campus has been identified at Vithura, at the foothills of the Ponmudi hills of the Western Ghats, about 50 km from Thiruvananthapuram. There are four other IISERs in India and they are located at Bhopal, Kolkata, Mohali and Pune.
The instituted is administered by a Board of Governors with M R S Rao, President, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore, as Chairman and Prof. V.Ramakrishnan as Director.
For admission to the MS programmes, students must have successfully completed the 10+2 course. Admissions are based on the ranks obtained in IIT-JEE or performance in KVPY. Students from state and central boards (SCB) can have admissions directly based on the aptitude test conducted by IISERs. They must have obtained a minimum cutoff percentage marks provided by Department of Science and Technology (India). At most 25% of the students may be from KVPY, and at least 50% from SCBs.
The MS course is research oriented with a focus on basic sciences. This course is designed so that a graduate of the institute is motivated to take up science as a career. However the skills gained from the institute will equip the students to pursue careers in any field including industry.
- "Institute". Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- "Faculty". Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- "BS-MS Students". Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- "Ph.D. Students". Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- G Mahadevan, Centre hailed for sanctioning IISER, The Hindu dated 26 October 2007 (Retrieved on 18 February 209)
- Land for IISER at Vithura, The Hindu dated 16 October 2008 (Retrieved on 18 February)
- G Mahadevan, Emphasis on integrated research, The Hindu dated 08 August 2008 (Retrieved on 18 February 2009)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram.|