Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram
|Dean||Prof. M. P. Rajan, Dr. Ramesh Chandra Nath, Dr. Hema Somanathan, Dr. Anil Shaji|
|Director||Prof. V. Ramakrishnan (Current), Prof. Eluvathingal Devassy Jemmis (Founder) |
|199 (171 PhD + 28 IPhD)|
Thiruvananthapuram (Transitional), Kerala, India
The Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram (Malayalam: ഭാരതീയ ശാസ്ത്ര പഠന ഗവേഷണ വിദ്യാപീഠം, തിരുവനന്തപുരം; Hindi: भारतीय विज्ञान शिक्षा एवं अनुसंधान संस्थान), abbreviated to IISER Thiruvananthapuram or IISER-TVM, is one of seven IISERs, institutes established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India, to bridge the gap between teaching and research at the undergraduate science level in the country. It aims to provide high quality education in modern science, integrating it with outstanding research of international standards at the undergraduate level itself, and develop a spirit of research cutting across disciplines. The institute awards five-year integrated Master of Science degrees in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. There are facilities for doing research in those areas leading to the award of PhD.
IISER-TVM is located on the campus of the College of Engineering, Trivandrum (CET). A site of 200 acres (0.81 km2) for establishing a permanent campus has been identified at Vithura, at the foothills of the Ponmudi hills of the Western Ghats, about 50 km from Thiruvananthapuram. There are six other IISERs in India, namely IISER Bhopal, IISER Kolkata, IISER Mohali, IISER Pune, IISER Tirupati and IISER Berhampur.
Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research (IISERs) were created in 2006 through a proclamation of Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India, under the category of institutes of national importance, to promote quality education and research in basic sciences. Soon after the announcement, two of these institutes at Pune and Kolkata, respectively, were started in 2006. This was followed by an institute at Mohali (2007) and at Bhopal and Thiruvananthapuram in 2008. Each IISER is a degree granting autonomous institution with a prime focus to integrate science education and research. IISERs are destined to become Science Institutes of the highest caliber and reach the prestigious position in the global setting that IISc, IIMs and IITs presently enjoy.
The institute is administered by a Board of Governors with Dr. Tessy Thomas as Chairperson, a 25-member Senate and the Director, Prof. V. Ramakrishnan. The Deans are Prof. M. P. Rajan (Academics), Dr. Ramesh Chandra Nath (Students Affairs), Dr. Hema Somanathan (Research and Development) and Dr. Anil Shaji (Planning and Development).
For admission to the MS programmes, students must have completed the 10+2 course. Admissions are based on the ranks obtained in IIT-JEE or performance in KVPY. Students from state and central boards (SCB) can have admission directly based on the aptitude test conducted by IISERs. They must have obtained a minimum cutoff percentage marks provided by Department of Science and Technology (India). At most 25% of the students may be from KVPY, and at least 50% from SCBs. The MS course is research oriented with a focus on basic sciences.
|Division||Departments, Centers, and Units|
|School of Biology|
|School of Chemistry|
|School of Mathematics|
|School of Physics|
- Sopanam [Annual magazine]
- ITSAV [Annual Sports-fest]
- ISHYA [Annual Cultural-fest]
- Quizzing Society of IISER-TVM [QSI]
- Anvesha [Science club]
- The Gravitational Wave Group at the School of Physics (part of the Indian Initiative in Gravitational-wave Observations (IndIGO) comprising scientists from nine institutions working under the LIGO Scientific Collaboration (LSC)), IISER TVM also contributed to historic discovery of gravitational waves.
- IISER TVM students builds an affordable radio telescope.
- "Institute". Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- "Faculty". Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- "BS-MS Students". Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- G Mahadevan, Centre hailed for sanctioning IISER, The Hindu dated 26 October 2007 (Retrieved on 18 February 209)
- Land for IISER at Vithura, The Hindu dated 16 October 2008 (Retrieved on 18 February)
- G Mahadevan, Emphasis on integrated research, The Hindu dated 08 August 2008 (Retrieved on 18 February 2009)
- "School of Biology".
- "School of Chemistry".
- "School of Mathematics".
- "School of Physics".
- "Gravitational Discovery - IISER TVM teams plays great role.".
- "Gravitational waves -IISER TVM".
- "Affordable radio telscope".
- "Affordable Radio Telecope".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram.|