Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram
|Dean||Prof. M. P. Rajan, Dr. Ramesh Chandra Nath, Dr. Hema Somanathan, Dr. Anil Shaji|
|Director||Prof. V. Ramakrishnan (Current), Prof. Eluvathingal Devassy Jemmis (Founder) |
|199 (171 PhD + 28 IPhD)|
Thiruvananthapuram (Transitional), Kerala, India
The Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram (Malayalam: ഭാരതീയ ശാസ്ത്ര പഠന ഗവേഷണ വിദ്യാപീഠം, തിരുവനന്തപുരം; Hindi: भारतीय विज्ञान शिक्षा एवं अनुसंधान संस्थान), abbreviated to IISER Thiruvananthapuram or IISER-TVM, is one of seven IISERs, institutes established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India, to bridge the gap between teaching and research at the undergraduate science level in the country.
IISER-TVM is located on the campus of the College of Engineering, Trivandrum (CET). A site of 200 acres (0.81 km2) for establishing a permanent campus has been identified at Vithura, at the foothills of the Ponmudi hills of the Western Ghats, about 50 km from Thiruvananthapuram. There are six other IISERs in India, namely IISER Bhopal, IISER Kolkata, IISER Mohali, IISER Pune, IISER Tirupati and IISER Berhampur.
Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research (IISERs) were created in 2006 through a proclamation of Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India, under the category of institutes of national importance, to promote quality education and research in basic sciences. Soon after the announcement, two of these institutes at Pune and Kolkata, respectively, were started in 2006. This was followed by an institute at Mohali (2007) and at Bhopal and Thiruvananthapuram in 2008. Each IISER is a degree granting autonomous institution with a prime focus to integrate science education and research. IISERs are destined to become Science Institutes of the highest caliber and reach the prestigious position in the global setting that IISc, IIMs, IITs and NITs presently enjoy.
The institute is administered by a Board of Governors with Dr. Tessy Thomas as Chairperson, a 25-member Senate and the Director, Prof. V. Ramakrishnan. The Deans are Prof. M. P. Rajan (Academics), Dr. Ramesh Chandra Nath (Students Affairs), Dr. Hema Somanathan (Research and Development) and Dr. Anil Shaji (Planning and Development).
- Integrated Master's (M.S.): Admission to this program is through the following channels:
- Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) Basic Science Stream: Students qualifying in SA (2012)/SX (2013)/SB (2013).
- Joint Entrance Examination (Advanced): Students securing a place in the rank list of Joint Entrance Examination (Advanced) for admission to Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs).
- State and Central Boards: Those, who are eligible for INSPIRE scholarship by Department of Science and Technology (DST) on the basis of their aggregate scores in class XII may be considered for admission after clearing an aptitude test. Currently done in co-ordination with the other IISERs through a Joint Admission Program.
The first two years of the 5-year program involves coursework in all subjects (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology, Humanities and Interdisciplinary courses). For the next two years, the students choose courses across subjects, as per their liking. The final year is spent on a research project.
- Doctoral Program (Ph.D.): Admission to the doctoral program is after a master's degree in science. Besides the students of the Integrated Master's program, postgraduate students with a master's degree in science from other Universities/Institutes will also be admitted to the doctoral program. The program will involve course work, a qualifying examination, a state-of-the-art seminar, thesis work, open seminar and a thesis examination, leading to the award of a PhD degree. The quantum of course work will vary depending on the background of the student. Besides individual research, students will be involved in several professional activities such as seminars, workshops, presentations and review meetings. All doctoral students will assist faculty members in teaching during the course of the doctoral program.
- Integrated Doctoral Program (Int. Ph.D.): Admission to this program is after a B.Sc. degree in any of the basic sciences. Students of this program start their course by attending their class with third year students of Dual Degree B.S.- M.S. course.
|Division||Departments, Centers, and Units|
|School of Biology|
|School of Chemistry|
|School of Mathematics|
|School of Physics|
- Sopanam [Annual magazine]
- ITSAV [Annual Sports-fest]
- ISHYA [Annual Cultural-fest]
- Quizzing Society of IISER-TVM [QSI]
- Anvesha [Science club]
|General – India|
IISER-TVM is ranked 20 by Careers360's Top University in India 2017. The Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research collectively rank fourth in terms of research, after the IITs, CSIR and IISc, according to the Nature publishing Index.
- The Gravitational Wave Group at the School of Physics (part of the Indian Initiative in Gravitational-wave Observations (IndIGO) comprising scientists from nine institutions working under the LIGO Scientific Collaboration (LSC)), IISER TVM also contributed to historic discovery of gravitational waves.
- IISER TVM students builds an affordable radio telescope.
Conferences and Workshops
- Chromosome Stability 2016 
- All India Cell Biology Conference 
- Cryo Electron Microscopy and 3D Image Processing of Macromolecular Assemblies and Cellular Tomography (CEM3DIP)
- Workshop on High Performance Scientific Computing
- International Symposium on Clusters, Cluster-Assemblies and Nanomaterials (ISCAN)
- Indo-UK Workshop on Stochastic Partial Differential Equations and Applications
- 8th Asian Photochemistry Conference 2014 
- GW@ASI2014: Satellite workshop on Gravitational Wave Astronomy at the ASI Meeting 
- "Institute". Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- "Faculty". Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- "BS-MS Students". Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- G Mahadevan, Centre hailed for sanctioning IISER, The Hindu dated 26 October 2007 (Retrieved on 18 February 209)
- Land for IISER at Vithura, The Hindu dated 16 October 2008 (Retrieved on 18 February)
- "Joint IISER admission portal".
- G Mahadevan, Emphasis on integrated research, The Hindu dated 08 August 2008 (Retrieved on 18 February 2009)
- "School of Biology".
- "School of Chemistry".
- "School of Mathematics".
- "School of Physics".
- "Top Universities in India 2017". Careers360. 2017.
- "Gravitational Discovery - IISER TVM teams plays great role.".
- "Gravitational waves -IISER TVM".
- "Affordable radio telscope".
- "Affordable Radio Telecope".
- "Chromosome stability 2016 - conference".
- "All India Cell Biology Conference".
- "cem3dip workshop".
- "Workshop on High Performance Scientific Computing".
- "Indo-UK Workshop on Stochastic Partial Differential Equations and Applications".
- "8th Asian Photochemistry Conference 2014".