Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management
||This college or university article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia guidelines for college and university articles. The specific problem is: WP:CREDENTIAL. (February 2012)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012)|
|Type||Public business school|
|Director||Dr. Amitava Sarkar|
|Location||Kolkata, West Bengal, India|
|Affiliations||University of Calcutta|
The Indian Institute of Social Welfare & Business Management (IISWBM) is a graduate business school in Kolkata, India. It is the first institute in India to offer an MBA degree (as XLRI, the oldest management institute in India, did not offer MBA degrees ever since its inception). It was established in 1953.
IISWBM was set up in collaboration with the Government of West Bengal, the University of Calcutta and the business community of West Bengal to promote management education. The MBA, MHRM and MPSM courses are affiliated to the University of Calcutta; the MBA program has been affiliated to the university for more than 60 years. This prestigious institute once served as a mentoring institute for the much-reputed IIM C (Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta).
On July 5, 1954, Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy, chief minister of West Bengal and founder–president of the institute inaugurated the first business management course in India. Dr. Jehangir Gandhy, chairman, All India Board of Technical Studies in Management, Union Ministry of Education, who could not be present at the inaugural ceremony sent a message saying "I am glad that the All India Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management is inaugurating today Business Management Course for the first time in India for the benefit of Junior Business Executives".
The institute celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 2003 and the Government of India released a commemorative stamp of IISWBM for the event. To date, no other management institute in India has been accorded this honour.
IISWBM is in the exciting and prestigious academic ambiance of College Square where the University of Calcutta, Presidency College, Calcutta Medical College and the All India Institute of Hygiene and Public Health are also located. The School of Tropical Medicine is a distance from the institute site. The institute building has two blocks. The foundation stone of one was laid by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the first prime minister of India and the other by Dr. B. C. Roy, the famous chief minister of West Bengal. Created in response to a strongly felt need of independent India, IISWBM had as its midwives the Ministry of Scientific and Cultural Affairs, Government of India, All India Board of Technical Studies in Management, Ministry of Education, Government of West Bengal, Bengal National Chamber of Commerce and Industry and personalities like Sir Biren Mukherjee, Srimati Renuka Ray, Professor D. K. Sanyal, Lala Lakhsmipat Singhania and many others.
Since 1958 the institute has been run by a Board of Governors which includes, among others, the vice chancellor and the pro-vice chancellor (Finance), University of Calcutta, principal secretary, Department of Education, Government of West Bengal, representatives from four chambers of commerce, the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India and the All India Council of Technical Education as members. Dr. B. C. Roy was the first president of the Board of Governors. He was succeeded by Shri P. C. Sen who also succeeded him as the chief minister of the state. Currently, Dr. Pratap Chandra Chunder, eminent educationist and a former Minister of Education, Government of India is the president of the Board of Governors.
The Institute offers the following courses:
- Master of Business Administration (MBA), the flagship course: MBA (day) two years full-time; MBA (evening) two years
- Masters of Human Resource Management (MHRM)
- Master of Public Systems Management with specialization in Environment Management, Energy Management,Healthcare & Hospital Management, Transportation and Logistics Management
- Post-graduate diploma in Business Management (PGDBM (evening), three years part-time accredited by AICTE)
- Post-graduate diploma in IPR in association with FICCI
- Post-graduate diploma in Sports Management 
- Post-graduate diploma in Retail Management (two years full-time, approved by AICTE)
The MBA, MHRM, and MPSM programmes are affiliated to the University of Calcutta as is the post-graduate (PG) diploma program in Sports Management. The other courses are offered by the institute as PG diploma courses.
The institute publishes a management journal called Survey.
The Sports Management Department is now called the Naval Tata Centre of Excellence in Sports Management in memory of Naval Tata, one of the distinguished industrialist and sports administrator of India. The Sports Management course is the only one of its kind in India. All the batches have obtained suitable placements and the department has decided to provide a winter internship each year.
- Sumantra Ghoshal, London Business School
- Lakshmi Mittal, ArcelorMittal group
- Partha Chatterjee (politician), Minister for Commerce & Industries, Government Of West Bengal
- Arindam Sil, film actor, director and producer
- Shiladitya Patranabis, actor
The Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management has done excellent on campus placement of its final year students.
MBA, the flagship course, has provided placement in some of the reputed organizations like TCS, Infosys, HSBC, HDFC, Vedanta Resources, Nielsen, HCL, CitiBank, GFK, PWC, Balmer and Lawrie, Jindal Steel and Power Ltd., SIDBI, Emami Ltd, ACC, CTS, KPMG, IMRB International, ICICI Bank, Tata Metaliks, TSPDL and many more including.
MBA (day) students have been placed in good organizations with a high average salary (around 6-6.5 lakhs) and a good job profile to start the career. The placement for the MBA (day) is as par the other top B-Schools in the country and has surely maintained its reputation as the first B-School of the country.
Placement has also been good for the other courses like MHRM and MPSM.
Research and consultancy
The faculty of IISWBM has taken up a number of research and consultancy work particularly to develop industry-institute interaction. The prime area of research and consultancy work involved key functional areas of management viz., marketing, HR, finance, system/IT, etc. besides public systems management viz., environment, energy, transportation and logistics, health care and hospital management.
The intellectual capital of the faculty has been ranked highest for three consecutive years by various agencies[which?] amongst premier B-schools.
The admission process for the MBA(DAY) Programme is quite tough. The candidates are shortlisted based on their CAT scores. Following which, the final list of the candidates are given out based on a Group Discussion and Personal Interview Process. Admission to the MHRM is done by the same procedure.
While getting admission in MPSM is a bit easier — students can get admission on the basis of their MAT score. The institute conduct its own admission test for other courses.
The events team of the MBA (Day) Department of Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management is a student body which aims at achieving a holistic development of new-age managers by going beyond the limits of the classrooms and books. The academic year features three major events which are spearheaded by the Events team under the guidance of the faculty and co-operation of the students. The events are:
- Insight: The Annual Corporate Panel Discussion is an interaction between the students and industry personnel essentially on the evolving topics from the spheres of Finance, Marketing, and HR so as to enhance the perspective and to have a better understanding of the functioning of these spheres in the business world.
- Paradigm: The Annual Alumni Meet of the MBA (Day) Department is a reunion celebrating the alumni of the first B-School in India. It is a meet where the alumni get to hobnob with the present students, revisit their past experiences and share their success stories.
- Managereal: The Annual Inter B-School Event is an initiative taken to put the knowledge, skills and nerves of tomorrow’s managers to test. It is a platform for B-School students from the length and breadth of the country to interact and share their ideas and views..
The event team of MPSM Department of IISWBM is a student body which aims to smoothen the industry-institute relation. It is also a battle ground for the students from reputed B-schools where they battle it out to find who's the best.
- Fiera Fiesta: The Annual Inter B-school event cum Industry Interaction which aims to smoothen the relation of the institute with the institute. It is a fun packed 2 Days event where the student communicate with the industry people face-to-face. It is also the homecoming event of the alumnus. It is due on 29-30th August in 2014.
- IISWBM - Official website