Indian Institute of Technology Goa
|Director||Prof. B.K. Mishra|
Indian Institute of Technology Goa (IIT Goa) is an autonomous premier engineering and technology university located in Goa. The new Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) at Goa started functioning from July, 2016 in a temporary campus housed at Goa Engineering College (GEC) Campus located at Farmagudi, Goa. Currently, it is offering B.Tech courses in three core branches namely Electrical, Computer Science and Mechanical.
As part of the mentorship plan, IIT-Bombay is the mentor for IIT-Goa. The HRD Ministry had set up an IIT monitoring cell at IIT-Bombay and the committee members had been designated as officials on special duty to supervise the process of setting up IIT-Goa.
Campus & Location
The campus is located at Farmagudi, Ponda approximately 29 km southeast of Panaji, the capital of Goa and it is a temporary campus. The state of Goa is well connected by road ways, rail ways and air ways with various parts of the country. At present IIT Goa is temporarily accommodated and functioning in the Goa Engineering College (GEC) Campus located at Farmagudi, Goa. Goa Government had identified land for permanent campus in Cotarli village measures approximately 320 acres, has been approved by Union ministry of human resources development (HRD). The MHRD expects that the IIT Goa will function from the temporary campus for just the initial three years and is expected to move to its permanent facility by the fourth year.
Cultural and non-academic activities
IIT Goa students have developed clubs for following hobbies and passions like Photography Club, Debate Club, Literary Club, Drama Club and a College Band.
As of now, IIT Goa doesn't have a permanent campus, so it doesn't currently organize an Inter-College Cultural or Sports Fest. In lieu of currently holding a fest, the students participate in events hosted by other colleges like in WAVES organized by BITS GOA, Happenings, Spectrum by GEC, Mood Indigo by IIT Bombay etc.
There are many Intra-College events organized by the students and a sports-cultural fest named Flock in the nascent years of the institution.
Departments, centres, and schools
Thirty seats each in the streams of computers , electrical and mechanical engineering are being made available at the institute and classes are slated to begin after July 15, 2016, along with the other IITs across the country. IIT Bombay is the present mentor of IIT Goa.
The Institute conducts educational programmes leading to the degree of Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech.) in various areas.
- "Joint Seat Allocation Authority 2016 - Indian Institute of Technology Goa".
- TNN. "Finally, an IIT in Goa; to be operational in 2016-17". The Times of India. Goa, India. Retrieved 26 May 2016.
- NT NETWORK. "Goa Engineering College ready to welcome IIT". THE NAVHIND TIMES. PANAJI, India. Retrieved 22 June 2016.
- nt. "IIT-Bombay is mentor for IIT-Goa". THE NAVHIND TIMES. Goa, India. Retrieved 16 May 2016.
- TNN. "State offers more facilities to IIT Goa at GEC". The Times of India. Goa, India. Retrieved 19 June 2016.
- Gauree Malkarnekar. "Goa satisfies Union HRD team with Loliem IIT site". The Times of India. Goa, India. Retrieved 20 May 2016.
- TNN. "Seat allocation for IIT Goa begins". The Times of India. Goa, India. Retrieved 14 June 2016.
- [ Official Website iitgoa.ac.in]