Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad
|भारतीय प्रौद्योगिकी संस्थान हैदराबाद|
IIT Hyderabad of Coolness
|Director||Uday B. Desai|
|Location||Sangareddy, Telangana, India|
The Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad (IIT Hyderabad, IITH) is a public university located in Medak district, Telangana, India. IIT Hyderabad runs from a temporary campus located at Ordnance Factory Medak's estate in Yeddumailaram, while the permanent campus in Kandi being constructed. It is one of the eight new Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India under The Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Act, 2011 which declares these eight IITs as well as the conversion of Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University to IIT. The Act was passed in the Lok Sabha on 24 March 2011 and by the Rajya Sabha on 30 April 2012. IIT Hyderabad has 826 UGs, 395 masters and 474 Ph.D. students. IITH has 142 full-time faculty.
Campus and location
IIT Hyderabad started on 18 August 2008 from a temporary campus at Ordnance Factory Medak, Eddumailaram. IIT Hyderabad's permanent campus will be located at Kandi near Sangareddy and is close to the Outer Ring Road (Hyderabad). The campus is located on NH-9 and is also near to Outer Ring Road (Hyderabad). It is expected that all operations will be shifted to the main campus by mid 2015.
The academic blocks are newly renovated buildings of Sarath Vikas School Campus. Facilities include hostels, classrooms, offices, recreation, sports and medical facilities. There is a small market outside the ODF campus to cater to the needs of students. IIT Hyderabad will be shifted to its permanent campus in June 2015.
IIT Hyderabad has eleven engineering departments, three science departments, one liberal arts (humanities) department, one design department and three new proposed departments :
- Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Department of Design
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Engineering Science
- Department of Fire Engineering
- Department of Liberal Arts
- Department of Materials Science and Metallurgical Engineering
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Department of Paranormal Sciences
- Department of Physics
- Department of Psychology
IIT Hyderabad offers Undergraduate B.Tech degrees in eight disciplines of Engineering, M.Tech degrees in eight disciplines of Engineering, postgraduate and Research degrees across all disciplines in Engineering, Sciences and Liberal Arts. About 142 faculty belonging to science and engineering departments of the Institute are engaged in teaching, research and industrial consultancy. IITH offers a very novel and innovative academic program referred to Fractal Academics—more on this on IITH website www.iith.ac.in
Admission to undergraduate programs is through the Joint Entrance Examination to IITs, conducted every year, with more than 1,300,000 candidates. It is considered one of the toughest competitive exams in the world with an acceptance ratio of less than 2%. Typically, the cutoffs for admission to IIT Hyderabad have been higher than those of other new IITs, as observed for the past three years.
Admission to M.Tech programs requires B.Tech./B.E. degree or equivalent in the respective or allied areas with exceptional academic record and possessing a GATE score. GATE is an exceptionally competitive exam in which approximately 200,000 aspirants compete for about 600 seats (including General/OBC/SC/ST categories). The cutoff for GATE at IIT-H is higher than IIT-Roorkee and IIT-Guwahati.
Admission to the M.Sc program requires B.Sc or an equivalent degree with 65% for GE/OBC, 60% for SC/ST or equivalent in the respective or allied areas with exceptional academic record and possessing a valid Joint Admission Test to M.Sc. (JAM) score. Admission to Ph.D Program requires either B.Tech/GATE qualification for engineering departments with good academic background or M.Tech/GATE qualification for engineering departments or NET qualification for Science departments.
Other academic activities
Among all the new IITs in the country IIT Hyderabad has been making rapid progress on the research side apart from providing regular B.Tech programmes.
Research and industrial consultancy
IIT Hyderabad has been allocated projects from industrial and government funding agencies. The project "Development of High-Energy Density Li-ion Batteries for Mobile Applications" entails developing electrode materials for Li-ion batteries and fabricating the batteries. ARCI in collaboration with IIT Hyderabad, is embarking on a program to develop high-energy density batteries.
IIT Hyderabad is involved in the DISANET project for disaster mitigation, an Indo-Japanese collaboration.
Elan Elan is the annual technical and cultural festival of IITH. Elan has been held in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015. It is usually held during spring, in the beginning of the year (January/February). It includes workshops, lectures, demonstrations, technical exhibitions, cultural performances and live concerts. Competitive activities cover design events, programming, simulations and modeling, quizzes, debates, applied engineering, robotics. 
ηvision ηvision is the inter-institute technical festival of IIT Hyderabad. The first edition was held on 5–6 November 2011 and was called as Advaya. The theme for this edition was "Invention". The second edition was renamed as ηvision and was held between 14–16 October 2012. The third edition of the fest was held successfully during 26–27 October 2013. The fest is preceded by a series of various technical workshops which attracts crowd from all over the country. The fest comprises various technical events, which are decided by the existing technical clubs in IIT Hyderabad and some informal events also.
||Kasipur||Indira Karan village||Kyasaram|
|Yeddumailram||Sankarpalli||BDL / Bhanoor|
- List of universities in India
- Colleges and institutes in India
- Education in India
- University Grants Commission (India)
- Ministry of Human Resource Development (India)
- Indian Institutes of Technology
- List of institutions of higher education in Telangana
- "IIT Hyderabad draws top rankers; an outlier among host of new Indian Institutes of Technology".
- "The Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Bill, 2010" (PDF).
- "LS passes bill to provide IIT status to 8 institutes, BHU". deccanherald.com. 24 March 2011. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- "Parliament passes IIT bill". ThetimesofIndia.com. 30 April 2012. Retrieved 30 April 2012.[dead link]
- The Hindu (28 Feb 2009). "Sonia lays foundation stone for Medak IIT campus". Chennai, India.
- "IIT Hyderabad | Campus Map". iith.ac.in. Retrieved 21 June 2011.
- Avadhani, R. (10 November 2013). "IIT-H smart campus to be ready by next academic year - The Hindu". Chennai, India: thehindu.com. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- "IIT-Hyderabad to shift to permanent campus by July next year - Times Of India". articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- is soon starting producing doctors "IIT-Hyderabad to design inter-disciplinary courses" Check
|url=scheme (help).[dead link]
- IndianExpress (30 July 2009). "Soon, MD and MBBS from the Indian Institute of Technology".[dead link]
- "Medicine in IITs: Health ministry to brainstorm today". The Times Of India. 16 February 2010.
- The Hindu. "Making fast progress on the research side apart from B.Tech". The Hindu.[dead link]
- "DISANET launched in Hyderabad". Business Standard. Retrieved 6 November 2011.
- "Elan". Elan. Retrieved 6 November 2011.
- "ηvision '13 | IITH". Nvision.iith.ac.in. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to IIT Hyderabad.|