Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad
|भारतीय प्रौद्योगिकी संस्थान हैदराबाद|
IIT Hyderabad Logo
|Indian Institute of Technology|
|Director||Uday B Desai|
|Location||Sangareddi, Telangana, India
The Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad (IIT Hyderabad, IITH) is a public engineering and research institution located in Sangareddy district, Telangana, India. IIT Hyderabad is one of the eight new Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India under the Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Act, 2011. The Act was passed in the Lok Sabha on 24 March 2011 and by the Rajya Sabha on 30 April 2012. IIT Hyderabad has 826 Undergraduate, 395 Masters and 474 Ph.D. students. IITH has 172 full-time faculty. All the academic and administrative operations were shifted to the permanent campus at Kandi, Sangareddy in July 2015, although a fraction of the students stay at the temporary campus in the Ordinance Factory, Medak. All students are expected to shift to the permanent campus by the start of academic year 2017-2018 (Last week of July 2017).
Campus and location
IIT Hyderabad began functioning on 18 August 2008 from a temporary campus at Ordnance Factory Medak, Eddumailaram. IIT Hyderabad's permanent campus is located at Kandi near Sangareddy and is close to the Outer Ring Road (Hyderabad). The campus is located on NH-65. The institute shifted most of its operations to the permanent campus in July 2015.
The institute is currently in Phase 1 of construction; 3 academic blocks and 10 functioning hostel buildings (each with a capacity of 200) will be ready by July 2017. The hostels are well connected to Institute main gate through internal transportation. The new campus's location on the national highway gives it easy access to the city of Hyderabad. 
IIT Hyderabad has ten engineering departments, three science departments, and one liberal arts (humanities) department:
- Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Department of Design
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Engineering Science
- Department of Materials Science and Metallurgical Engineering
- Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Department of Physics
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Liberal Arts
IIT Hyderabad offers Undergraduate B.Tech degrees in eight disciplines of Engineering, M.Tech degrees in eight disciplines of Engineering, postgraduate and Research degrees across all disciplines in Engineering, Sciences and Liberal Arts.
Admission to undergraduate programs is through the Joint Entrance Examination – Advanced. Admission to M.Tech programs requires B.Tech./B.E. degree or equivalent in the respective or allied areas with exceptional academic record and possessing a Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) score. Admission to the M.Sc program requires B.Sc or an equivalent degree with 65% for GE/OBC, 60% for SC/ST or equivalent in the respective or allied areas with exceptional academic record and possessing a valid Joint Admission Test to M.Sc. (JAM) score. Admission to Ph.D Program requires either B.Tech/GATE qualification for engineering departments with good academic background or M.Tech/GATE qualification for engineering departments or National Eligibility Test (NET) qualification for Science departments. All qualified candidates with a valid Common Entrance Examination for Design (CEED) score become eligible to apply for M.Des admission.
|University and college rankings|
|Engineering – India|
IIT Hyderabad was ranked 10 among engineering colleges in India by the National Institutional Ranking Framework in 2017. Careers360 has given it the second best rating, "AAAA+", among engineering colleges in 2017.
Other academic activities
Among all the new IITs in the country IIT Hyderabad has been making rapid progress in research, apart from providing regular B.Tech programmes.
Research and industrial consultancy
IIT Hyderabad has been allocated projects from industrial and government funding agencies. The project "Development of High-Energy Density Li-ion Batteries for Mobile Applications" entails developing electrode materials for Li-ion batteries and fabricating the batteries. ARCI, in collaboration with IIT Hyderabad, is embarking on a program to develop high-energy density batteries.
IIT Hyderabad is involved in the DISANET project for disaster mitigation, an Indo-Japanese collaboration.
is the annual technical and cultural festival of IITH. Elan has been held in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015. It is usually held during spring, in the beginning of the year (January/February). It includes workshops, lectures, demonstrations, technical exhibitions, cultural performances and live concerts. Competitive activities cover design events, programming, simulations and modeling, quizzes, debates, applied engineering, robotics.
is the inter-institute technical festival of IIT Hyderabad. The first edition was held on 5–6 November 2011 and was called as Advaya (taken from the PG fest 'Advaya" of IIT-Guwahati). The theme for this edition was "Invention". The second edition was renamed as ηvision and was held between 14–16 October 2012. The third edition of the fest was held successfully during 26–27 October 2013. The fest is preceded by a series of various technical workshops which attracts crowd from all over the country. The fest comprises various technical events, which are decided by the existing technical clubs in IIT Hyderabad and some informal events also.
||Kasipur||Indira Karan village||Kyasaram|
|Yeddumailram||Sankarpalli||BDL / Bhanoor|
- List of universities in India
- Colleges and institutes in India
- Education in India
- University Grants Commission (India)
- Ministry of Human Resource Development (India)
- Indian Institutes of Technology
- List of institutions of higher education in Telangana
- "IIT Hyderabad draws top rankers; an outlier among host of new Indian Institutes of Technology".
- "LS passes bill to provide IIT status to 8 institutes, BHU". deccanherald.com. 24 March 2011. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- "Parliament passes IIT bill". ThetimesofIndia.com. 30 April 2012. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- The Hindu (28 Feb 2009). "Sonia lays foundation stone for Medak IIT campus". Chennai, India.
- "IIT Hyderabad | Campus Map". iith.ac.in. Retrieved 21 June 2011.
- Avadhani, R. (10 November 2013). "IIT-H smart campus to be ready by next academic year - The Hindu". Chennai, India: thehindu.com. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- "IIT-Hyderabad to shift to permanent campus by July next year - Times Of India". articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2017 (Engineering)". Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2017.
- "Top Engineering Colleges in India 2017". Careers360. 2017.
- The Hindu. "Making fast progress on the research side apart from B.Tech". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 30 May 2011.
- "DISANET launched in Hyderabad". Business Standard. Retrieved 6 November 2011.
- "Elan". Elan. Retrieved 6 November 2011.
- "ηvision '13 | IITH". Nvision.iith.ac.in. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to IIT Hyderabad.|