Indian Institute of Technology Palakkad
|Type||Public Education and Research|
|Director||P. B. Sunil Kumar |
Palakkad, Kerala, India|
|Campus||Temporary campus: Ahalia Integrated Campus, Kozhippara, Palakkad, Kerala 678557|
Indian Institute of Technology Palakkad (IIT Palakkad or IIT-PKD) is a public autonomous engineering and research institute located in Palakkad, Kerala. It is one of the five new IITs proposed in the 2014 Union budget of India. The campus was inaugurated on 3 August 2015 at the temporary campus site located inside the Ahalia Integrated Campus, Palakkad.
The Director of IIT Madras, Dr. Bhaskar Ramamurthi was made Mentor Director until the Professor-in-charge of IIT Palakkad, P B Sunil Kumar was appointed as Director by the President of India, Pranab Mukherjee. IIT Madras has deputed a batch of experienced professors including the ones recently retired, former deans and heads of various departments to the new campus as both permanent and visiting professors.
Campus and location
IIT Palakkad is currently functioning out of a temporary campus at Ahalia Integrated campus in Kozhippara, Palakkad, which is about 20 km from Palakkad town. Temporary Campus is 55,000 sq. ft. in area and consists of well-equipped academic classrooms, a seminar room, an auditorium, conference room, workshop, library, cafeteria, laboratories and faculty offices. It also provides hostel and sports and recreational facilities with access to high-speed internet. Students have facilities at par with other IITs.
The construction of the transit campus at the permanent campus site at Kanjikode is nearing completion and is likely to be operational from June 2018. The construction of phase I permanent campus in a 500-acre plot at Kanjikode will begin in 2018.
IIT Palakkad currently offers four-year Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) and two years MS programmes in different engineering disciplines. Similar to the other IITs, admission to undergraduate programmes based on qualification through the Indian Institute of Technology Joint Entrance Examination (IIT-JEE). In addition to that, Ph.D programme is also offered in all the disciplines of Science and Engineering.
IIT Palakkad is currently functioning with 8 disciplines.
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Indian Institutes of Technology
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology Tirupati
- http://indiabudget.nic.in/budget2014-2015/ub2014-15/bh/bh1.pdf. Retrieved on 28 June 2015, 13:17 IST.
- "Palakkad IIT to start functioning from August". The Hindu. 29 April 2015. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- "Temporary Campus". IIT Palakkad.
- "President nod for appointment of 5 new IITs directors". The Indian Express. 2017-01-07. Retrieved 2017-01-07.
- "IITs in Tirupati, Palakkad now Open for Intake". The New Indian Express. 25 June 2015. Retrieved 27 June 2015.
- "IIT temporary campus to open on August 3". The Hindu. 13 June 2015. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to IIT Palakkad.|