Indian Mathematical Society
|Headquarters||Pune, Maharashtra, India|
|D. V. Pai|
Indian Mathematical Society (IMS) is the oldest organization in India devoted to the promotion of study and research in mathematics. The Society was founded in April 1907 by V. Ramaswamy Aiyer with its headquarters at Pune. The Society started its activities under the name Analytic Club and the name was soon changed to Indian Mathematical Club. After the adoption of a new constitution in 1910, the society acquired its present name, namely, the Indian Mathematical Society. The first president of the Society was B. Hanumantha Rao.
- 1 Publications
- 2 Annual Conferences
- 3 Council of the Society
- 4 Presidents of IMS
- 5 List of other mathematical societies in India
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
The Society publishes two periodicals both of which are quarterly:
- The Journal of the Indian Mathematical Society (JIMS: ISSN 0019-5839)
- The Mathematics Student (Math Student: ISSN 0025-5742)
The 1911 volume of the Journal contains one of the earliest contributions of the Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan. It was in the form of a set of questions. A fifteen page paper entitled Some properties of Bernoulli Numbers contributed by Srinivasa Ramanujan also appeared in the same 1911 volume of the Journal.
The Mathematics Student usually contains the texts of addresses, talks and lectures delivered at the Annual Conferences of the Society, the abstracts of research papers presented at the Annual Conferences, and the Proceedings of the Society's Annual Conferences, as well as research papers, expository and popular articles, and book reviews.
The first Annual Conference of the Society was held at Madras in 1916. The second conference was held at Bombay in 1919. From that time on, a conference was held every two years until 1951 when it was decided to hold the conferences annually. The twenty-fifth Conference was held at Allahabad in 1959 which was inaugurated by Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India.
Memorial Award Lectures
During every Annual Conference, the following Memorial Award Lectures are arranged as a part of the Academic Programme:
- P.L. Bhatnagar Memorial Award Lecture (instituted in 1987).
- Srinivasa Ramanujan Memorial Award Lecture (instituted in 1990).
- V. Ramaswamy Aiyer Memorial Award Lecture (instituted in 1990).
- Hansraj Gupta Memorial Award Lecture (instituted in 1990).
- Ganesh Prasad Memorial Award Lecture (instituted in 1993 and delivered every alternate year).
Professor A. K. Agarwal Award
P.L. Bhatnagar Memorial Prize
This Prize is awarded annually to the top scorer of the Indian team at the International Mathematical Olympiad. It consists of a cash of Rs. 1000/- and a Certificate. The award is presented during the Inaugural Session of the Annual Conference of the Indian Mathematical Society.
Prizes for research paper presentations
The Society holds, during its Annual Conferences, a Special Session of Paper Presentation Competition and Prizes are awarded to the best research paper in various areas. This Special Session is held as a part of the Academic Programme.
- Six IMS Prizes for papers in the areas of algebra, geometry, topology, functional analysis, differential geometry, discrete mathematics, number theory, operations research, fluid dynamics, biomathematics and computer science.
- AMU Prize for papers in the areas of algebra, functional analysis and differential geometry.
- V.M. Shah Prize for papers in analysis.
Council of the Society
The Indian Mathematical Society is governed by a Council. The Council includes nine office bearers of the Society.
The Council of the Indian Mathematical Society, 2014 - 2015
|1||President||S. G. Dani||Indian Institute of Technology Bombay|
|2||Immediate Past President||Geetha S. Rao||Ramanujan Institute for Advanced Study in Mathematics, Chennai|
|3||General Secretary||N. K. Thakare||Savitribai Phule Pune University|
|4||Academic Secretary||M. M. Shikare||Savitribai Phule Pune University|
|5||Administrative Secretary||M. M. Shikare||Savitribai Phule Pune University|
|6||Treasurer||S.K. Nimbhorkar||Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathawada University, Aurangabad|
|7||Editor (The Journal of IMS)||Satya Deo||Harish-Chandra Research Institute|
|8||Editor (The Mathematics Student)||J.R. Patadia||Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda|
|9||Librarian||Premalatha Kumaresan||Ramanujan Institute for Advanced Study in Mathematics, Chennai|
Presidents of IMS
1907 – 1949
|1907-12||B. Hanumantha Rao|
|1912-15||R. N. Apte|
|1915-15||E. W. Middlemast|
|1915-17||R. Ramachandra Rao|
|1917-21||A. C. L. Wilkinson|
|1926-30||V. Ramaswamy Aiyer|
|1930-32||M. T. Naraniengar|
|1932-34||P. V. Seshu Iyer|
|1934-36||H. G. Gharpure|
|1936-40||R. P. Paranjpe|
|1940-42||Ramaswamy S. Vaidyanathaswamy|
|1942-47||Friedrich Wilhelm Levi|
|1947-49||M. R. Siddiqui|
1949 – 1975
|1949-51||A. Narasinga Rao|
|1957-59||V. Ganapathy Iyer|
|1959-60||B. S. Madhav Rao|
|1960-61||B. N. Prasad|
|1961-62||B. S. Madhav Rao|
|1962-63||C. N. Srinivasienger|
|1964-66||Prabhu Lal Bhatnagar|
|1966-68||R. S. Verma|
|1968-69||Prabhu Lal Bhatnagar|
|1969-70||Ram Prakash Bambah|
|1971-73||J. N. Kapoor|
|1973-74||K. G. Ramanathan|
1975 – 2000
|1975-77||P. C. Vaidya|
|1977-79||U. N. Singh|
|1981-82||Vishnu Vasudev Narlikar|
|1982-84||R. S. Mishra|
|1984-85||R. P. Agarwal|
|1985-86||S. D. Chopra|
|1986-87||H. C. Khare|
|1988-89||M. K. Singal|
|1989-90||M. P. Singh|
|1990-91||V. M. Shah|
|1991-92||D. K. Sinha|
|1993-94||U. P. Singh|
|1994-95||H. P. Dixit|
|1995-96||N. K. Thakare|
|1997-98||A. R. Singal|
|1998-99||B. K. Lahiri|
|1999-00||Anadi Sankar Gupta|
2000 – 2015
|2001-02||P. V. Arunachalam|
|2002-03||M. A. Pathan|
|2006-07||Inder Bir Singh Passi|
|2008-09||A. K. Agarwal|
|2013-14||Geetha S. Rao|
|2014-15||S. G. Dani|
2015 – 2030
|2015-16||D. V. Pai|
List of other mathematical societies in India
- Allahabad Mathematical Society 
- Bharata Ganita Parishd (formerly, Banars Mathematical Society)
- Bihar Mathematical Society 
- Calcutta Mathematical Society
- Gujarat Mathematical Society 
- Kerala Mathematical Association
- Marathwada Mathematical Society (founded in 1999)[www.marathwadamathsociety.org/]
- Orissa Mathematical Society 
- Punjab Mathematical Society 
- Rajasthan Ganita Parishd 
- Ramanujan Mathematical Society
- Tripura Mathematical Society
- Vijnana Parishad of India 
- "Some properties of Bernoulli's numbers". Retrieved 18 June 2010.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- S. Ramanujan, Some properties of Bernoulli's numbers, J. Indian Math. Soc., (1911), vol. 3, p. 219-234
- "Professor P. L. Bhatnagar". Indian Mathematical Society. Retrieved 19 June 2010.
- "Srinivasa Ramanujan". Indian Mathematical Society. Retrieved 19 June 2010.
- M. T. Naranienger. "V. Ramaswamy Aiyer : The Founder of IMS". Indian Mathematical Society. Retrieved 19 June 2010.
- "Professor Hansa Raj Gupta". Retrieved 18 June 2010.
- "Ganesh Prasad : (1876 - 1935)". Indian Mathematical Society. Retrieved 19 June 2010.
- "Terms and conditions for Prof. A. K. Agarwal award" (PDF).