Indian National Defence University
भारतीय राष्ट्रीय सुरक्षा विश्वविधालय, गुरुग्राम (हरियाणा)
|Affiliation||Ministry of Defence|
|President||3-star serving Army General|
|Students||66% from armed forces, |
33% from paramilitary, police and civilians.
|Affiliations||National Defence College,|
College of Defence Management,
Defence Services Staff College,
National Defence Academy.
Indian National Defence University (INDU) is an under construction university of defence of the Government of India at Binola village in Gurgram district of Haryana state in India. It is likely to be functional by 2018-19. It is located on Delhi-Jaipur NH 48, just 5 km west of Pachgaon Chowk on Western Peripheral Expressway, nearly 11 km southeast of National Security Guard base and 10 km north of Heritage Transport Museum. NHAI has established a bus bay for the university at NH48.[[
The idea for this autonomous institution was initially conceived in 1967, the Kargil War Review Committee recommended its establishment to then Home Minister L. K. Advani in 2001,and also by K. Subrahmanyam which was approved by the Union Cabinet in 2010, Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh laid the foundation stone of the Indian National Defence University (INDU) at Binola in Gurgaon on 23 May 2013. it is expected to be functional by 2018-19.
- Promote research-oriented national defence policy.
- High level leadership development of officers for military duties and policy formulation responsibilities
- Develop and propagate higher education in defence studies like defence management and defence science and technology.
- University think tanks for providing policy formulations inputs.
This autonomous University will be instituted by the Act of the Parliament of India, and President of India will be a Visitor, and the Defence Minister will be the Chancellor. INDU will be governed as per its own norms and will be responsible to promote coordination and interaction between Institutions of Armed Forces or establishments of the country. Defence training institutions will be affiliated to award degrees.
The institute will be headed by a President, who will be a three-star serving General or equivalent officer with C-in-C status on appointment, and a Vice-President, who will be a civilian. The university formed on the lines of Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) and Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) will have the teaching faculty composed of military personnel and civilians in the ratio of 1:1.
The university will have the following constituent units:
- The School of National Security Studies
- The School of Defence Technology
- The School of Defence Management
- The Centre for Distance and Open learning
Affiliated institutes of Indian armed forces
Following existing institutes will be affiliated to the university:
- National Defence College (NDC) New Delhi
- College of Defence Management (CDM) Secunderabad
- Defence Services Staff College (DSSC) Wellington
- National Defence Academy (NDA) Khadakwasla
At least 66% students will be from the Indian Armed Forces and the remaining 33% will be from the Paramilitary forces of India, Police in India and civilians. The university will offer doctoral and post-doctoral research, post-graduate studies as well as higher studies through distance learning to military and civilians.
War and peace courses will include strategic thinking, Chinese studies, Eurasian studies, Southeast Asian studies, neighborhood studies, international security and national security strategy, maritime security studies, wargaming and military simulation, joint logistics, counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism and material acquisition.
- Army Welfare Education Society
- List of institutions of higher education in Haryana
- Military academies in India
- National Defense University, USA
- National def varsity project on fast track, Daily Pioneer, 11 December 2017.
- "India can be net provider of security in region: PM". Hill Post. 23 May 2013. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- Manmohan Singh laid the foundation stone of National Defence University
- Finally, India to get a national defence university - Times of India
- Cabinet approves setting up of bus bay near Indian Defence University Land in Gurugram, Haryana, business-standard.com, 20 Feb 2018.
- India to set up national defense university - People's daily online
- Land acquisition for the Indian National Defence University started - India Today
- National def varsity project on fast track, Daily Pioneer, 11 Dec 2017.