Indian Nursing Council
The Indian Nursing Council is a national regulatory body for nurses and nurse education in India. It is an autonomous body under the Government of India, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, constituted by the Central Government under section 3(1) of the Indian Nursing Council Act, 1947 of Indian parliament. Since 1947 Indian Nursing Council Act has undergone minimal amendments. This resulted in several anomalies that have impacted the morale of Registered Nurses in India especially those practicing in the private sector. The last amendment of the act was in the year 2006. According to the original act the "function of the council is to provide uniformity in nursing education" only. Thus, Indian Nursing Council is not legally equipped to intervene in the service rules of Registered Nurses practicing in India.
State-Level Nursing Councils
There are many registered state-level nursing councils. They are granted autonomous rights by the nursing council.
|Council Body||State||Year of Establishment|
|Andhra Pradesh Nurses & Midwives Council||Andhra Pradesh||1963|
|Arunachal Pradesh Nursing Council||Arunachal Pradesh|
|Assam Nurses Midwives & Health Visitor Council||Assam||1953|
|Bihar Nurses Registration Council||Bihar|
|Chhattisgarh Nursing Council||Chhattisgarh|
|Kerala Nurses and Midwives Council||Kerala||1953|
|Maharashtra Nursing Council||Maharashtra|
|Delhi Nursing Council||New Delhi||1997|
|Punjab Nurses Registration Council||Punjab||2006|
|Karnataka Nursing Council||Karnataka||1961|
|Uttar Pradesh Nurses & Midwives Council||Uttar Pradesh||1934|
|Tamil Nadu Nurses And Midwives Council||Tamil Nadu||1926|
|Rajasthan Nursing Council||Rajasthan||1964|
|Madhya Pradesh Nurses Registration Council||Madhya Pradesh||1973|
- Functions of Indian Nursing Council.
- State-Wise Nursing Council India Nursing Council, Retrieved on 29, October 2011.
- "Andhra Pradesh Nurses ,Midwives ,Auxiliary Nurse-Midwives & Health Visitors Council". nmcouncil.ap.nic.in. Retrieved 2016-05-04.
- "Assam Nurses' Midwives' & Health Visitors' Council, Assam, Department of Health Services, Assam, Hengrabari, Guwahati, Assam, India". assamnursingcouncil.in. Retrieved 2016-05-04.
- "Rajsthan Nursing Council". www.rncjaipur.org. Retrieved 2016-04-14.
- "Madhya Pradesh Nurses Registration Council". www.mpnrc.org. Retrieved 2016-04-14.