Indian Rare Earths
|Industry||Rare Earth Research|
|Founded||18 August 1950|
|Headquarters||Plot No.1207,Veer Savakar Marg, Prabhadevi, Mumbai, India|
|Shri D Singh,Chairman & Managing Director& Director(Marketing) , Mr C K Asnani, Director(Technical),Shri Rakesh Tumane, Director(Finance)|
|Products||Ilmenite, rutile, zircon, sillimanite, mixed RE chloride, Th nitrate, La carbonate, Tri sod phosphate|
|Revenue||₹456 crore (US$67 million) (2013-2014)|
|₹46.78 crore (US$6.9 million) (2013-2014)|
Indian Rare Earths Limited (IREL) is a government-owned corporation in India based in Mumbai. It was incorporated as a private limited company and jointly owned by the Government of India and Government of Travancore Cochin. Government of India took control of IREL in 1963 under the administrative control of Department of Atomic Energy (DAE). It was incorporated with the primary intention of taking up commercial scale processing of monazite sand at its first unit namely Rare Earths Division (RED), Aluva, Kochi for the recovery of thorium.
IREL commissioned its largest division called Orissa Sand Complex (OSCOM) at Chhatrapur, Orissa. Today IREL operates these four units along with a corporate office in Mumbai and a unit located in Manavalakurichi of Kanyakumari district. It produces/sells six heavy minerals namely ilmenite, rutile, zircon, monazite, sillimanite, and garnet as well as various value added products. From 1st May 2015 it started commercial operation of Monazite Processing Plant at Orissa to process 10000tpa monazite to produce 11220tpa of rare earth chloride, 13500 tri-sodium phosphate, 26tpa NGADU etc. Similarly High Pure Rare Earth facility also commenced operation to refine pure rare earth compounds.
The Corporate Research Centre is located at Kollam, Kerala and carries out research in the field of value added products from beach sand minerals, undertakes consultancy projects on mineral separation and flow sheet development, carrying out mineral analysis and caters to the needs of internal and external customers.
- "Department of Atomic Energy: Milestones". Barc.ernet.in. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- "Indian Rare Earth unit's plan". The Hindu Business Line. 13 November 2004. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- "About Us". Irel.gov.in. 18 August 1950. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- DAE. "Indian Rare Earths Limited". Dae.gov.in. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- "Other States / Orissa News : Drinking water projects inaugurated in three villages". The Hindu. 21 May 2010. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- Toyota negotiating with Orissa Sands Complex (OSCOM) for setting up a rare earth chloride plant near Chhatrapur
- "In 1986x, Indian Rare Earth Ltd" (PDF). Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- [dead link]
- "Indian Rare Earths Limited - About Us". Irel.gov.in. Retrieved 10 July 2010.