Indian Rocks Beach, Florida
|Indian Rocks Beach, Florida|
Location in Pinellas County and the state of Florida
|• Total||1.4 sq mi (3.6 km2)|
|• Land||0.9 sq mi (2.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.2 km2)|
|Elevation||9 ft (3 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||4,316|
|• Density||2,900/sq mi (1,100/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0284535|
Indian Rocks Beach is a city in Pinellas County, Florida, United States. The population was 4,113 at the 2010 census. Indian Rocks Beach is part of the Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Indian Rocks Beach is located at  It lies on a barrier island between the Gulf of Mexico and the Intracoastal Waterway. It is north of Indian Shores and south of Belleair Shore and Belleair Beach. Tourism is its primary industry. It was incorporated in 1956.(27.895799, -82.847550).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.4 square miles (3.6 km2), of which 0.9 square miles (2.3 km2) is land and 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2) (33.09%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,072 people, 2,700 households, and 1,393 families residing in the city. The population density was 5,454.6 inhabitants per square mile (2,105.7/km²). There were 4,032 housing units at an average density of 4,336.1 per square mile (1,673.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 97.18% White, 0.30% African American, 0.18% Native American, 0.61% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.30% from other races, and 1.42% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.17% of the population.
There were 2,700 households out of which 11.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.2% were married couples living together, 5.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 48.4% were non-families. 36.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.88 and the average family size was 2.39.
In the city, the population was spread out with 10.1% under the age of 18, 4.3% from 18 to 24, 30.0% from 25 to 44, 36.9% from 45 to 64, and 18.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 48 years. For every 100 females there were 102.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 102.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $53,770, and the median income for a family was $65,724. Males had a median income of $41,250 versus $31,833 for females. The per capita income for the city was $40,195. About 1.3% of families and 4.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including none of those under age 18 and 3.6% of those age 65 or over.
So many Irish Americans from the ethnic enclave of South Buffalo, New York, have relocated to Indian Rocks Beach and the adjoining community of Largo that this area is often referred to as "South Buffalo South".
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Indian Rocks Beach city, Florida". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- Farris, Darren. "Free Beach Parking on Indian Rocks Beach". http://indianrocksbch.com/. Empowwwer. Retrieved 6 November 2014. External link in
- "Indian Rocks Historical Museum". Indian Rocks Historical Museum. Retrieved 11 December 2014.
- Muchnick, Irvin (2007). Wrestling Babylon: Piledriving Tales of Drugs, Sex, Death, and Scandal. ECW Press. p. 149. ISBN 1550227610.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Indian Rocks Beach, Florida.|