Indian community of London
|(Estimated at around 542,857
6.6% of London's population
(37% of the total Indian population in the UK))
|Regions with significant populations|
Southall, Wembley, Hounslow, Brent, Croydon, Redbridge, Ealing, Barnet, Tooting, Harrow
|Related ethnic groups|
|Part of a series on|
|Ethnic groups in London|
British Indians form the largest ethno-national group in London with a population of around 542,857 or 6.6% of the population. The majority are concentrated in West London, home to London's Hindu community, though populations can be found throughout London.
Islam: Around 20% of Indians in London are Muslims. They are located primarily in Newham in East London. Indian Muslims in London have strong connections to the Pakistani and Bangladeshi Muslim community of London. Most Indian Muslims came from East Africa, Jamaica, Gujarat and Mumbai.
Christianity: There are a significant number of Christian Indians in London. Most of them are from the states of Kerala and Goa. Denominations include Indian Orthodox, Catholic and Protestant. There is a Church in Wembley which offers Church services in the Gujarati language.
Parsi: The Parsi community, which mostly comes from the state of Gujarat or from Mumbai, is also present in London.
In West London, close to Heathrow Airport, resides one of the UK's largest Indian communities. According to the 2001 Census, 39% of the people within the Ealing Southall constituency, comprising Southall and nearby areas, are of British Asian origin. Southall is a thriving Punjabi community, with Southall Broadway being popular for its Indian shops, cinemas and restaurants. Another Indian residential area is the London Borough of Hounslow.
- Asian Indians in the New York City metropolitan region
- History of the Indian Americans in Metro Detroit
- Indo-Canadians in the Greater Toronto Area
- 2011 Census: KS201EW Ethnic group: local authorities in England and Wales, Accessed 31 January 2015
- "Religions - Jainism: Jainism at a glance". BBC. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
- Indian London the Museum of London
- Aden Mitra Mandal association of Indian community with historic connections to Aden, holds cultural and religious events
- Live telecast from religious places from across india