Indian local government response to the 2020 coronavirus pandemic
This article documents a current pandemic. Information may change rapidly as the event progresses, and initial news reports may be unreliable. The latest updates to this article may not reflect the most current information. (March 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Indian state governments have responded to the 2020 coronavirus pandemic India with various declarations of emergency, closure of institutions and public meeting places, and other restrictions intended to contain the spread of the virus.
State level regulations (before 24 March)
The table lists state level regulations that were imposed by the respective state and central governments before 24 March 2020. On 24 March, Prime Minister Narendra Modi ordered a nationwide lockdown from 12:01 am of 25 March for three weeks.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (March 2020)
On 23 March, Collector of Nellore district of Andhra Pradesh has imposed Section 144 in the district till March 31.
On 12 March, it announced closure of schools, colleges and cinema halls till the end of March and ordered disinfection of all public places as a precautionary measure.
On 22 March, after the central government's decision, complete lockdown of the Delhi from 6 am of 23 March to at least 31 March was declared. Essential services and commodities to continue.
On 28 March, Delhi government had set up over 500 hunger relief camps providing free food for people who have been left stranded due to the nationwide lockdown.
On 23 March, Gujarat DGP Shivanand Jha said that from 12 am, the entire state will be under lockdown till 31 March. "State borders have been sealed. Action will be taken against the people who will violate the lockdown," he said.
On 24 March, Government of Haryana announced complete lockdown of the Haryana.
On March 24, Government of Himachal Pradesh imposed an indefinite statewide curfew to combat coronavirus after it was found that many people defied the lockdown orders.
On 18 March, the Government of Karnataka ordered the closure of malls, universities and colleges, movie theatres, night clubs, marriages and conferences and other public areas as a precautionary measure.
Karnataka has closed its borders with Kerala for vehicular traffic in the wake of six people testing positive for coronavirus in Kasargod district of Kerala, which lies on the border of Karnataka.
On 10 March, the government of Kerala shut down all colleges and schools up to grade 7. The government had also urged people to not undertake pilgrimages, attend large gatherings such as weddings and cinema shows.
On 15 March, a new initiative 'Break the Chain' aiming to educate people about the importance of public and personal hygiene was introduced by Government of Kerala.
On 25th Jan, the Madhya Pradesh Government issued an advisory regarding Coronavirus symptoms and possibility of human to human transmission and ordered that all health professionals be educated about the same.
On 28th Jan, government issued notification to start testing people at the airport coming from China, Japan and Thailand. Following declaration by WHO of Coronavirus as Public Health Emergency on International concern, the government moved to monitor and test people coming from China and other affected countries.
On 14th March, all schools and cinemas in the state were shut down.
On 22nd March, the acting chief minister of state Kamal Nath ordered complete shutdown including all business establishments.
On 24th March, the government imposed curfew in Bhopal and Jabalpur cities where Coronavirus cases were found.
On 25th March, CM Shivraj Singh Chauhan announced various welfare measures in view of the nation wide lockdown.
On 18 March, the Federation of Trade Association of Pune announced that all shops, barring grocery stores and pharmacies, will be shut in the city, resulting in the closure of up to 40,000 shops.
On 20 March, the state government announced the closure of workplaces, excluding essential services and public transport, in Mumbai, Mumbai Metropolitan Region, Pune, Pimpri-Chinchwad and Nagpur until 31 March.
The government of Odisha has been credited with an early response to the pandemic. On 13 March, the chief minister Naveen Pantaik declared it as a 'disaster'. Educational institutions and other public places were closed and officials were empowered by invoking the Epidemic Diseases Act, 1897.
On 21 March, after confirming two positive cases of coronavirus, the state ordered 70 per cent lockdown, including its capital Bhubaneshwar.
The government on 26 March signed agreements with medical colleges to set up two 1,000-bed hospitals in Bhubaneswar for treatment of the infected patients within 15 days.
This section does not cite any sources. (March 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
On 13 March, the Punjab governments declared holidays in all schools and colleges till 31 March
On 16 March Punjab government issue an advisory to close gyms, restaurants, etc.
On 19 March Punjab School Education Board postponed all Board Exams of 10th and 12th classes.
20 March Punjab government also shuts down public transport in state from midnight of 20 March and prohibited gathering of more than 20 persons.
On 22 March Punjab government declared complete Lockdown in state till 31 March 2020 except Emergency services along Kala Sanghian.
On 23 March Punjab Government imposed full curfew across Punjab without any relaxation, become first State to impose full curfew, as some people were defy to follow lockdown, seriously. Punjab government sanctions 20 crore rupees for free food, medicines to poor from CM Relief Fund, ministers pledge month's salary for efforts to control COVID-19.
On 24 March Punjab Chief Minister set up COVID Relief Fund to be utilised for the welfare of the people in distress due to Coronavirus.
On 24 March, the state banned all private vehicles in the roads after COVID-19 cases crossed 32 in the state. The state government had also announced free ration for two months for families covered under the National Food Security Act (NFSA).
On 30 January, the state had put 78 people who arrived from China under quarantine.
On 20 March, the Government of Tamil Nadu partially closed its borders with Karnataka, Kerala and Andhra Pradesh on March 20 until March 31 and constituted a task force to closely monitor the preventive measures against the viral outbreak.
On 21 March, the state government postponed the Class 10 SSLC board exams to beyond April 14, which were due to begin from March 27.
On 22 March, the state government extended 'Janata curfew' to Monday morning 5 am.
On 23 March, the state government imposed Section 144 from March 24 6 pm until March 31 which prohibits gatherings of more than 5 people.
On 24 March, Health Minister C. Vijayabaskar announced a hospital dedicated for treating COVID-19 patients. The newly built Omandurar Government Multispeciality Hospital was being converted into a special facility with 350 beds to treat COVID-19 patients exclusively.
On 22 March, the state government announced a state-wide lockdown as five more cases emerged.
On 23 March, the state government imposed night curfew from 7 pm till 6 am. During the lockdown, no vehicles were not allowed on the roads. The government has also closed all borders and suspended interstate transport.
On 22 March, Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath announced the lockdown of fifteen districts in state, from 22 to 25 March, including Noida, Ghaziabad, Agra, Aligarh, Prayagraj, Kanpur, Varanasi, Bareilly, Lucknow, Saharanpur, Meerut, Lakhimpur, Azamgarh, Gorakhpur and others.
- 2020 coronavirus pandemic in India
- 2020 India coronavirus lockdown
- Socio-economic impact of the 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic
- National responses to the 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic
- Gettleman, Jeffrey; Schultz, Kai (24 March 2020). "Modi Orders 3-Week Total Lockdown for All 1.3 Billion Indians". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 25 March 2020.
- Network, Newsmeter (23 March 2020). "Coronavirus: Section 144 imposed in Nellore". NewsMeter. Retrieved 23 March 2020.
- "Coronavirus outbreak: States impose lockdown in battle against Covid-19 | All you need to know". India Today. Retrieved 21 March 2020.
- "82 districts under lockdown over Covid-19: What is shut and where". Hindustan Times. 23 March 2020. Retrieved 23 March 2020.
- "Coronavirus: Arunachal Pradesh orders lockdown from Monday evening till March 31". The Economic Times. 23 March 2020. Retrieved 24 March 2020.
- "Section 144 imposed in five districts of south Gujarat | Surat News - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 March 2020.
- Bhattacharya, D. P. (24 March 2020). "Lockdown in Gujarat extended to the entire state". The Economic Times. Retrieved 24 March 2020.
- "COVID-19 impact: Gujarat suspends transport services till March 25". The Week. Retrieved 24 March 2020.
- Mar 23, Dhritiman Ray | TNN | Updated:; 2020; Ist, 16:51. "Jharkhand Lockdown: Jharkhand announces immediate lockdown till March 31 | Ranchi News - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 March 2020.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- Poovanna, Sharan (24 March 2020). "Coronavirus: Karnataka under lockdown, Section 144 in Bengaluru, Mangaluru". Livemint. Retrieved 24 March 2020.
- of India, Press Trust. "Lockdown in Kerala as coronavirus cases touch 28, CM says all emergency services open". India Today. Retrieved 24 March 2020.
- "Maharashtra goes into lockdown mode: Section 144 in place from Monday, announces Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 23 March 2020.
- "Covid-19: Assam, Tripura, Meghalaya and Manipur announces lockdown". The Economic Times. Retrieved 24 March 2020.
- "Puducherry govt. announces lockdown". The Hindu. Special Correspondent. 23 March 2020. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 24 March 2020.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Punjab to enforce lockdown till March 31". The Economic Times. 22 March 2020. Retrieved 24 March 2020.
- Parihar, Rohit. "Section 144 imposed in Rajasthan after couple, 2-year-old test positive for coronavirus". India Today. Retrieved 24 March 2020.
- "Sikkim to be under lockdown from 6 am on March 25 till March 31". Deccan Herald. 24 March 2020. Retrieved 24 March 2020.
- ChennaiMarch 23, Shalini Lobo; March 23, 2020UPDATED:; Ist, 2020 19:18. "Coronavirus in India: Tamil Nadu to go under lockdown from Tuesday". India Today. Retrieved 23 March 2020.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- "TN imposes Section 144 for a week, no gatherings of more than 5 people". www.thenewsminute.com. Retrieved 23 March 2020.
- Network, Newsmeter (23 March 2020). "Telangana government imposes strict night curfew, violators to be dealt strictly". NewsMeter. Retrieved 23 March 2020.
- "Entire West Bengal brought under lockdown till March 31". The Economic Times. 24 March 2020. Retrieved 24 March 2020.
- "Coronavirus: Curfew to be imposed in Chandigarh from midnight". The Tribune.
- "Coronavirus threat: Delhi govt orders closure of all primary schools till March 31". Hindustan Times. Archived from the original on 6 March 2020. Retrieved 5 March 2020.
- Sanyal, Anindita, ed. (12 March 2020). "Delhi Schools, Colleges, Cinemas Shut Till March 31 Due To Coronavirus". NDTV. Retrieved 12 March 2020.
- Jagannath, J. (22 March 2020). "Delhi lockdown to start at 6 am Monday, until 31 March: Kejriwal". Livemint. Retrieved 22 March 2020.
- "Coronavirus: Delhi govt sets up 500+ hunger relief camps | India News - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 March 2020.
- Read more at: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/covid-19-indefinite-curfew-in-himachal-pradesh/articleshow/74792276.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst
- "Coronavirus: Karnataka shuts down schools, malls, theatres for a week". livemint.com. Retrieved 18 March 2020.
- "Karnataka closes border with Kerala after 6 COVID-19 cases reported in Kasargod". The Week. 21 March 2020.
- "Coronavirus: Over 3000 people still under observation, says govt". The Economic Times. 8 February 2020.
- "As coronavirus cases surge, Kerala put on high alert". gulfnews.com. Retrieved 9 March 2020.
- "Coronavirus: Six fresh cases reported in Kerala; Schools, colleges, cinemas shut till March 31". The Financial Express. 10 March 2020. Retrieved 11 March 2020.
- "12 coronavirus cases in Kerala, grandparents of family from Italy test positive". thenewsminute.com. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- "Kerala govt launches break the chain initiative for personal hygiene". NDTV. Retrieved 15 March 2020.
- "Advisory for Novel Coronavirus spread Control and Prevention" (PDF).
- "Notification to initiate health check-up for international passengers with respect to Novel Coronavirus" (PDF).
- "Update on prevention and cure on Novel Coronavirus" (PDF).
- "MP Government order regarding Monitoring of Coronavirus" (PDF).
- "MP Government notification regarding monitoring of passengers coming from China" (PDF).
- BhopalMarch 14, Press Trust of India; March 14, 2020UPDATED:; Ist, 2020 00:11. "Coronavirus: Schools, cinema halls closed in Madhya Pradesh". India Today. Retrieved 30 March 2020.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- Mar 22, Rajendra Sharma | TNN |; 2020; Ist, 23:12. "Kamal Nath instructs complete shut down in MP amid corona threat | India News - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 30 March 2020.
- "COVID-19: Madhya Pradesh govt imposes curfew in Bhopal, Jabalpur". Deccan Herald. 24 March 2020. Retrieved 30 March 2020.
- Yadav, Sidharth (26 March 2020). "Coronavirus | Madhya Pradesh govt. to give BPL families free ration for a month". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 30 March 2020.
- "Maharashtra invokes epidemic Act". The Tribune. Retrieved 17 March 2020.
- "Coronavirus impact: Markets in Maharashtra in shutdown mode". Financial Express. Retrieved 18 March 2020.
- "Mumbai, Pune offices to close in wake of coronavirus, says Uddhav Thackeray". Livemint. Retrieved 20 March 2020.
- "Uddhav Thackeray imposes curfew in entire Maharashtra". The Economic Times. 23 March 2020. Retrieved 23 March 2020.
- Ashutosh Mishra, Early Response Has Been Key to Odisha's Efforts to Tackle COVID-19, The Wire, 28 March 2020.
- "COVID-19: How Odisha is setting an example in preparedness". www.downtoearth.org.in. Retrieved 24 March 2020.
- "Coronavirus update: Odisha govt announces lockdown till 29 March". Livemint. 22 March 2020. Retrieved 24 March 2020.
- bisoyi, Sujit kumar. "Coronavirus: Odisha government suspends inter-state bus services; forms team to monitor smooth flow of essential goods | Bhubaneswar News - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 March 2020.
- "Worries Grow in Odisha After 3rd Coronavirus Case; State Plans 1,000-bed Hospital". News18. Retrieved 28 March 2020.
- Iqbal, Mohammed (19 March 2020). "Coronavirus | Prohibitory orders in Rajasthan after 3 new cases test positive". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 24 March 2020.
- "Coronavirus update: Rajasthan bans private vehicles; to give pension, food to poor". Hindustan Times. 24 March 2020. Retrieved 24 March 2020.
- Reporter, B. S. "Coronavirus outbreak: Tamil Nadu closes borders, constitutes task force". Business Standard India. Retrieved 21 March 2020.
- "TN closes border roads, movement of essentials allowed". Outlook India. Retrieved 21 March 2020.
- "COVID-19: Tamil Nadu's Class 10 board exams postponed". Retrieved 23 March 2020.
- "Tamil Nadu govt extends 'Janata curfew' till Monday morning". The Economic Times. 22 March 2020. Retrieved 23 March 2020.
- Kannan, Ramya (24 March 2020). "Tamil Nadu announces dedicated hospital for COVID-19 patients". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 24 March 2020.
- "Restrictions on Maha border extended by T". Times of India. Retrieved 17 March 2020.
- Lasania, Yunus Y. (22 March 2020). "Covid-19: Telangana goes under lockdown as five more positive cases emerge". Livemint. Retrieved 23 March 2020.
- LucknowMarch 21, India Today Web Desk; March 21, 2020UPDATED:; Ist, 2020 10:40. "Covid-19: UP CM Yogi Adityanath says daily wage workers to get Rs 1,000 per day". India Today. Retrieved 29 March 2020.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- DelhiMarch 22, India Today Web Desk New; March 22, 2020UPDATED:; Ist, 2020 21:23. "Coronavirus in India: UP CM Yogi Adityanath announces lockdown in 15 districts". India Today. Retrieved 29 March 2020.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- "UP govt deploys 1000 UPSRTC buses to ferry migrants to respective districts". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 29 March 2020.
- "Kolkata, Several Areas Across West Bengal to be Under Lockdown From Monday Evening to March 27". News18.