Indian states and union territories ranked by availability of toilets
This is a list of Indian states and territories ranked before the availability of toilet facilities per household. Figures are from the 2011 census of India (*UPDATED by 2020 survey). In a massive cleanliness drive after the election of Narendra Modi in 2014, over 90 million toilets have been built over the course of 4 years, ferociously taking India towards an open defecation free country.
The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA), is presently implementing missions like Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM), Atal Mission for Rejuvenation & Urban Transformation (AMRUT), Smart Cities Mission and National Heritage City Development & Augmentation Yojana (HRIDAY).
Swachh Bharat Mission is a flagship mission of the Government of India and is committed to achieving total sanitation in the country. It is established that every rupee spent on sanitation has an economic return of 6 to 9 times. Under the Swachh Bharat Mission, Ministry is determined to make cities and towns open defecation free and clean by 2 October 2019 in partnership with States and ULBs. For helping them in this endeavour, Ministry has prepared several guidelines, advisories and handbooks for effective implementation which can be accessed from the Ministry's website.
List of Indian States and UT
An increasing trend has been seen in India with how many households have toilet facilities (36.41% in 2001 , 46.9% in 2011 and 97.21% in 2018).
Kerala, Mizoram and Lakshadweep State/UT have the higher households having toilet facilities in both 2001 and 2011 in comparison to other states. Lakshadweep has the highest households having toilet facilities 89.2% in 2001 , 97.8% in 2011 and 100% in 2018. Seven States viz. Bihar, Odisha, Assam, Goa and Tripura are below the National estimate 97.21% in 2018. By 2018 Data 97.21% Of Country has achieved ODF Status and are having full access to Toilets.
|Year 2001||Year 2011||Year 2019|
|All India/State/Union Territory||Total||Rural||Urban||Total||Rural||Urban||Total||Rural||Urban|
|Daman and Diu||43.94||32.02||65.43||78.2||51.4||85.4||100|
|A. & N. Islands||53.28||42.33||76.49||70.1||60.2||87.1||100|
|D. & N. Haveli||32.56||17.32||77.2||54.7||26.5||81.3||100|
|Jammu and Kashmir||53.14||41.8||86.87||51.2||38.6||87.5||100|
- "Availability and type of latrine facility" (PDF). 2011 Census of India, Government of India. 2011. Retrieved 9 October 2015.
- "State/UT-wise percentage of rural households which have access to toilets facilities as on 12.12.2018".
- "4 Years Of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan: With Over 9 Crore Toilets, India Inches Towards Becoming ODF | Features". NDTV-Dettol Banega Swachh India. 2018-10-02. Retrieved 2019-02-05.
- PTI (2018-11-19). "Nearly 60.50 lakh household toilets built under Swachh Bharat". Mint. Retrieved 2019-02-05.
- "Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin)". sbm.gov.in. Retrieved 2019-02-05.