Indiana Hoosiers baseball
|Indiana Hoosiers baseball|
|2017 Indiana Hoosiers baseball team|
|Head coach||Chris Lemonis (3rd year)|
|Home stadium||Bart Kaufman Field
|Colors||Crimson and Cream
|Overall record||2,143-1,691-23 (.559)|
|College World Series appearances|
|NCAA Tournament appearances|
|1996, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2015|
|Conference tournament champions|
|1996, 2009, 2013, 2014|
|1925, 1932, 1938, 1949, 2013, 2014|
- For information on all Indiana University sports, see Indiana Hoosiers
The Indiana Hoosiers baseball team is the varsity intercollegiate athletic team of Indiana University Bloomington in Bloomington, Indiana, United States. The team competes in the National Collegiate Athletic Association's Division I and are members of the Big Ten Conference. The team plays at Bart Kaufman Field, which opened for the 2013 season.
In conference postseason play, Indiana has won four Big Ten Conference Baseball Tournaments and made five NCAA Regionals appearances, including one College World Series appearance in 2013. In regular season play, the Hoosiers have won six Big Ten Conference titles.
- 1 History
- 2 Home stadiums
- 3 Notable Players
- 4 Year-by-year results
- 5 Championships
- 6 Awards
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (November 2012)|
In 1984, Bob Morgan replaced Larry Smith as head coach of the Hoosiers. Morgan would take the Hoosiers to five Big Ten Conference Baseball Tournaments and one appearance in the NCAA Regionals. Indiana would lose in the opening round of the 1996 NCAA Midwest Regional to Witchita State, 4-0. Morgan would finish his career with Indiana in 2005, with an overall record of 782–499–4 in 21 years of managing the team.
On June 23, 2005, Indiana replaced long-time coach Bob Morgan with former Miami (OH) head coach Tracy Smith. Smith would lead the Hoosiers to two Big Ten Baseball Championships and three NCAA Regionals, including one College World Series appearance in 2013.
On June 9, 2013, the Hoosiers completed a sweep of Florida State in the best of 3 Super Regional to advance to their first College World Series in Omaha, Nebraska. The Hoosiers would eventually lose 1-0 to Oregon State in the second round. Consequently, the 2013 roster would also include future-Chicago Cubs player Kyle Schwarber and his eventual selection in the 2014 Major League Baseball draft.
Following the conclusion of the 2014 season, then-head coach Tracy Smith was hired by Arizona State to the same position. The Indiana Hoosier's Athletic Department hired former Louisville assistant coach Chris Lemonis on July 24, 2015 to replace Smith as head coach.
- Independent (1895–1905, 1943)
- Big Ten Conference (1906–1942, 1944–present)
- Known as the Big Nine Conference from 1906–1917
Sembower Field was the main baseball stadium utilized by the Hoosiers from 1951 to 2012. It was named after former Indiana baseball player Charles Sembower. The stadium was located just north of the Foster Quadrangle dormitory on Fee Lane, less than 1 mile southeast of the current Hoosier baseball facility: Bart Kaufman Field. The former site of Sembower Field is presently used as a recreational sports complex for university students.
Bart Kaufman Field
Bart Kaufman Field is the home of the Hoosiers and is located in Bloomington, Indiana, on the campus of Indiana University. Indiana alumnus Bart Kaufman (1960-1962) pledged $2.5 million to start construction on the facility, with the rest of the funding coming from private donations and the university. Construction of Bart Kaufman Field was completed in March 2013 and formally dedicated on April 26. Bart Kaufman Field will host its first Big Ten Baseball Tournament from May 24–28, 2017.
Current MLB players
- Alex Dickerson, San Diego Padres 
- Josh Phegley, Oakland Athletics 
- Kyle Schwarber, Chicago Cubs 
- Micah Johnson, Atlanta Braves
|1965||8th||154||Ron Keller||Minnesota Twins|
|1970||20th||469||Bruce Miller||Chicago White Sox|
|1984||3rd||69||Barry Jones||Pittsburgh Pirates|
|1988||5th||120||Mickey Morandini||Philadelphia Phillies|
|1988||7th||174||John Wehner||Pittsburgh Pirates|
|1993||1st||29||Kevin Orie||Chicago Cubs|
|1993||37th||1046||Chris Peters||Pittsburgh Pirates|
|1996||35th||1050||Doug DeVore||Cincinnati Reds|
|2000||5th||134||Zach McClellan||Kansas City Royals|
|2009||1st||38||Josh Phegley||Chicago White Sox|
|2009||33rd||987||Jake Dunning||San Francisco Giants|
|2011||3rd||91||Alex Dickerson||Washington Nationals|
|2012||9th||291||Micah Johnson||Chicago White Sox|
|2014||1st||4||Kyle Schwarber||Chicago Cubs|
|1905||Zora G. Clevenger||11-11|
|Big Nine/Big Ten (1906–1942)|
|1906||Zora G. Clevenger||5-12-1||1-5||t-6th|
|1912||John J. Corbett||5-9||0-8||7th|
|Big Ten Conference (1944–present)|
|1981||Larry Smith||23-25-1||5-9||5th (East)|
|1982||Larry Smith||25-28||2-14||5th (East)|
|1983||Larry Smith||26-21||6-7||3rd (East)|
|1984||Bob Morgan||44-20||6-9||4th (East)|
|1985||Bob Morgan||57-19-1||8-8||t-2nd (East)|
|1986||Bob Morgan||43-17||7-9||t-3rd (East)|
|1987||Bob Morgan||43-17||7-9||3rd (East)|
|1991||Bob Morgan||38-23-1||15-12||t-3rd||Big Ten Tournament|
|1993||Bob Morgan||38-21||15-12||4th||Big Ten Tournament|
|1996||Bob Morgan||43-18||18-8||2nd||NCAA Regional|
|2002||Bob Morgan||35-20||15-14||4th||Big Ten Tournament|
|2003||Bob Morgan||34-22||16-15||6th||Big Ten Tournament|
|2008||Tracy Smith||31-30||15-17||6th||Big Ten Tournament|
|2009||Tracy Smith||32-27||16-7||3rd||NCAA Regional|
|2010||Tracy Smith||28-27||12-12||t-5th||Big Ten Tournament|
|2012||Tracy Smith||32-28||16-8||2nd||Big Ten Tournament|
|2013||Tracy Smith||49-16||17-7||1st||College World Series|
|2014||Tracy Smith||42-13||21-3||1st||NCAA Regional|
|2015||Chris Lemonis||35-24||12-10||6th||NCAA Regional|
|2016||Chris Lemonis||32-24||15-9||t-3rd||Big Ten Tournament|
National champion Postseason invitational champion
Conference Regular Season Championships
|1925||Big Ten||Everett Dean||12–6||9–2|
|1932||Big Ten||Everett Dean||13–2||6–2|
|1938||Big Ten||Everett Dean||14–7–1||7–3|
|1949||Big Ten||Ernie Andres||18–5||8–4|
|2013||Big Ten||Tracy Smith||49–16||17–7|
|2014||Big Ten||Tracy Smith||42–13||21–3|
|Total Conference Titles||6|
Conference Tournament Championships
|Season||Conference||Coach||Winning Team||Losing Team|
|1996||Big Ten||Bob Morgan||Indiana 6||Illinois 4|
|2009||Big Ten||Tracy Smith||Indiana 13||Minnesota 2|
|2013||Big Ten||Tracy Smith||Indiana 4||Nebraska 3|
|2014||Big Ten||Tracy Smith||Indiana 8||Nebraska 4|
- Big Ten Player of the Year – Mike Smith (1992), Kennard Jones (2002), Alex Dickerson (2010), Sam Travis (2014)
- Big Ten Pitcher of the Year – Eric Arnett (2009), Aaron Slegers (2013), Joey DeNato (2014)
- Big Ten Coach of the Year – Bob Morgan (1993), Tracy Smith (2013, 2014)
- Big Ten Freshman of the Year - Alex Dickerson (2009), Sam Travis (2010)
- Don Ritter
- Eddie LaDuke
- Jim DeNeff
- Ken St. Pierre
- Mike Smith
- Vasili Spanos
- Josh Phegley
- Eric Arnett
- Alex Dickerson
- Dustin DeMuth
- Kyle Schwarber
- Aaron Slegers
- Joey DeNato
- Sam Travis
- "Colors IU". Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "1996 CWS Regionals". baseball-reference.com. Retrieved March 30, 2017.
- "Miami (Ohio) Baseball Coach Tracy Smith Was Hired as the New Indiana Baseball Coach". Chicago Tribune. June 23, 2005. Archived from the original on May 28, 2013. Retrieved March 29, 2017.
- "IU sweeps Florida State to advance to College World Series". SportsMedia101.com. 2013-06-10. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- "IU loses to Oregon State in College World Series". SportsMedia101.com. 2013-06-20. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "Catcher Schwarber is Cubs' first pick in 2014". Chicago Cubs. June 5, 2014. Retrieved March 29, 2017.
- Zach Osterman (August 1, 2014). "Why is Chris Lemonis the man to maintain IU's baseball success?". The Indianapolis Star. Retrieved March 29, 2017.
- "Sembower Recreational Sports Field Complex". recsports.indiana.edu. Retrieved 2017-03-31.
- "IU Baseball Field To Be Named After Donor Bart Kaufman". Indiana Public Media. 2012-02-15. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- "Indiana University dedicating its new softball and baseball fields". IU News Room. 2013-04-16. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- "Bart Kaufman Field to host Big Ten Tournament". Indiana University Athletics. 2017. Retrieved March 2, 2017.
- "MLB Draft Picks". Baseball Reference. Retrieved March 31, 2017.
- "2013 Indiana Hoosiers Baseball Record Book" (PDF). Indiana Sports Information. Archived from the original (PDF) on July 22, 2013. Retrieved July 22, 2013.
- "2013 Big Ten Conference Baseball Record Book" (PDF). Big Ten Conference. Archived from the original (PDF) on July 22, 2013. Retrieved July 22, 2013.
- "2013 Big Ten Conference Baseball Standings". D1Baseball.com. Jeremy and Cynthia Mills. Archived from the original on July 22, 2013. Retrieved July 22, 2013.
- "Indiana Hoosiers baseball records" (PDF). Retrieved March 31, 2017.