Indianapolis mayoral election, 2007
|Elections in Indiana|
The Indianapolis mayoral election of 2007 took place on November 6, 2007. Voters elected the Mayor of Indianapolis, members of the Indianapolis City-County Council, as well as several other local officials. Incumbent Democrat Bart Peterson was seeking a third term. Republicans nominated former Marine Greg Ballard to run against Peterson. In what was called, "the biggest upset in Indiana political history", Ballard defeated Peterson 51% to 47%.
- Democrat Bart Peterson, incumbent Mayor, ran for a third term.
- Republican Greg Ballard
- Libertarian Fred Peterson
Peterson was vastly considered a lock to win the election by political experts. The incumbent Peterson had nearly 30 times as much campaign money as the challenger. Peterson, who started with considerable fundraising advantages, raised nearly $1.5 million since April and had $1.5 million left in late October. In contrast, Ballard raised nearly $225,000 since April and had just over $51,000 left in his campaign fund in late October. Peterson spent nearly $1.5 million on TV and radio ads and $113,000 on polling and research. Two weeks before election day, Ballard had still not put up any TV ads.
The two major issues in the mayoral campaign were crime and taxes. Residents felt property taxes were most important due to the spike in the tax. Rising crime was another major issue in the election.
|Indianapolis mayoral election, 2007|
|Democratic||Bart Peterson (incumbent)||77,926||47.2%|
|Republican gain from Democratic||Swing|
|Indianapolis mayoral election
- "Ballard grabs upset win in mayoral race". The Indianapolis Star. 2007-11-07. Archived from the original on 2008-02-23. Retrieved 2008-06-22.
- "2007 General Election Results". Marion County Clerk's Office. 2007-11-07. Archived from the original on 2008-05-11. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "Ballard's 'Biggest Upset' Ends Peterson Era". WRTV. 2007-11-07. Retrieved 2008-06-22.
- "Peterson's fundraising far outweighs competition". WTHR. 2007-10-19. Retrieved 2008-06-22.
- "Candidates for mayor discuss election issues". WTHR. 2007-11-05. Retrieved 2008-06-22.
- "Indianapolis Mayor Begins Ad Campaign". WISH-TV. 2007-05-02. Retrieved 2008-06-22.