Indians in Qatar
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
25% of the Qatar's population (2017)
|Regions with significant populations|
|Doha • Al Wakrah • Al Khor • Al Rayyan|
|Hindi • Malayalam • Tamil • English • Gujarati • Arabic|
|Islam • Christianity • Hinduism|
|Related ethnic groups|
The community of Indians in Qatar includes Indian expatriates in Qatar, as well as people born in Qatar of Indian origin. Qatar has a total population of 2,740,479 as on May 2019. The Indian population in the country currently stands at around 691,000.
More and more Indian students in Qatar, especially Doha, are opting for distance education programmes after passing their higher secondary examinations. After clearing their Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) Class 12 exams, the students are making a beeline for the various distance education programmes offered by a number of Indian universities in Qatar.
According to media reports and Indian government figures published on February 17, 2014 more than 1000 Indians working in Qatar have died in the past two years, obtained by news wire AFP under right of information laws According to the Indian embassy in Qatar, 237 workers died in 2012 and 218 in 2013. The figures follow similar data revealed to AFP by the Nepalese embassy in Doha last month, showing 191 deaths recorded in 2013, with many of them from "unnatural" heart failure, compared with 169 the year before. The Indian embassy did not give details about the circumstances of the deaths.
Indian schools in Qatar include:
- Doha Modern Indian School
- DPS Modern Indian School
- Ideal Indian School
- M.E.S Indian school
- Shantiniketan Indian School
- Birla Public School
- Bhavans Public School
- Delhi Public School
- Al Khor International School
- Loyola International School (LIS, Doha)
- Noble International School (NIS)
- "Indian population in Qatar touches 691,000". Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- "Total Population in Qatar, May 2019". Qatar Planning and Statistics Authority and assigning.
- "Indian population in Qatar touches 691,000". Gulf-Times (in Arabic). 2018-04-13. Retrieved 2019-06-16.
- "More Indian students in Qatar go for distance education".
- "Indian gov't confirms 450 workers died in Qatar in 2yrs".