Steam Capsule image of Indie Pogo
|Developer(s)||Lowe Bros. Studios|
|Publisher(s)||Lowe Bros. Studios|
Indie Pogo is a fighting video game developed and published by Lowe Bros. Studios. After being successfully funded via Kickstarter in October 2017, the game released on Microsoft Windows in July 2018.
Indie Pogo's gameplay takes inspiration from the Super Smash Bros. series: characters are fighting in several open arenas with platforms and can knock each other out of the screen. However, Indie Pogo primarily drew inspiration from an IOS game called Slam Bots, in an effort to make a multiplayer version of that game. The main gimmick of the game is an auto-jumping mechanic: characters landing on the ground or a platform will automatically jump on it. This was the primary development decision, and every other mechanic has been built around this gimmick. According to the main developer, Trevor Lowe, the auto-jumping mechanic "keeps gameplay always in motion".
As of July 10th, 2018, the game includes fourteen playable characters coming from various indie games, with six other characters confirmed to be coming as DLC in the future. Every character has moves coming from their original game, such as Shovel Knight using some of his Relics, or Captain Viridian from VVVVVV inverting their gravity. Five characters are playable from the start, and the remaining ones have to be unlocked through an in-game Shop. Here is a list of every playable character, as well as their game of origin:
- Blockman from The Blocks Cometh, mabe by Halfbot
- Zorbié, made by Étienne Périn and Simon Périn
- Velocispider, made by Retro Dreamer
- Stardrop from the Stardrop series, made by Lowe Bros. Studios
- Penelope from The Next Penelope, made by Aurélien Regard
- Jack the Reaper, made by Dream's Bell
- Fishy from Shütshimi, made by Neon Deity Games.
- CommanderVideo from the Bit.Trip series, made by Choice Provisions
- Captain Viridian from VVVVVV, made by Terry Cavanagh
- Teslakid from Teslagrad, made by Rain Games
- Sash Lilac from Freedom Planet, made by GalaxyTrail
- Orcane from Rivals of Aether, made by Dan Fornace
- Shovel Knight, made by Yacht Club Games
- Welltaro from Downwell, made by Ojiro "Moppin" Fumoto
Here is a list of every upcoming playable character:
- Kick from Divekick, made by Iron Galaxy Studios
- Octodad from Octodad: Dadliest Catch, made by Young Horses
- Bullet Kin from Enter the Gungeon, made by Dodge Roll
- Voltar the Omniscient from Awesomenauts, made by Ronimo Games
- Dust from Dust: An Elysian Tail, made by Humble Hearts
- Gunvolt from the Azure Striker Gunvolt series, made by Inti Creates
Indie Pogo was positively received by critics. PushDustIn of Source Gaming praised it for being easy to get into and said that the game was "everything [he] wanted out of an Indie crossover fighting game". Ryan Silberman of The Inner Circle Games Network stated that Indie Pogo was a love letter to the Indie industry, and that the developers "went for a quality-over-quantity approach".
- Valdez, Nick (September 13, 2017). "Adorable indie mascot fighter Indie Pogo will make you jump jump". Destructoid. Enthusiast Gaming.
- Cousins, Jon (October 1, 2017). "Feature: Learn More About Indie Pogo, a Quirky Brawler Featuring Iconic Nindies". NintendoLife. Nlife Media.
- "How to play...Indie Pogo". Lowe Bros. Studios via YouTube. September 14, 2017.
- "Indie Pogo (Game)". Giant Bomb.
- "Indie Pogo (PC) Review". Source Gaming. July 10, 2018.
- "Indie Pogo (PC) Review". The Inner Circle Games Network. July 20, 2018.