Indigenous People of Biafra
Indigenous People of Biafra
|Colours||red, black, green, yellow|
|http://www.ipob.org/ ; https://www.ipobinusa.org/|
Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) is a separatist organisation led by Nnamdi Kanu. The group wants a number of states in south-east Nigeria, made up mainly of people from the Igbo ethnic group, to break away from Nigeria and form the independent nation of Biafra. To achieve this, the group is calling for a referendum, stating that they will continue to agitate until the Nigerian government fixes a date for the referendum "to settle the issue of Biafra in a civilised and democratic manner". According to Agence France-Presse, IPOB renamed its push for secession "Biafrexit", a portmanteau of "Biafra" and "Brexit".
Amnesty International has accused the Nigeria army of killing not less than 150 members of IPOB with video evidence of the massacre at Nkpor in Anambra State from 29 to 30th of May 2016 as they celebrate Biafra remembrance day and that of Ngwa high school on the 8th of February in a prayer service.
On 20 September 2017, a Federal High Court in Abuja granted the Nigerian Federal Government an interim injunction proscribing the activities of the Indigenous People of Biafra. Meanwhile, government forces (including the military) cracked down on separatist protests in southeastern Nigeria, reportedly killing several protestors. The Nigerian Army also raided the home of IPOB leader Kanu in order to arrest him. When some his supporters attempted to defend him using sticks, they were alledegly shot. Thereafter, Kanu was reportedly detained and taken to an unknown location by the government.
- Radio Biafra
- Republic of Biafra
- Nigerian Civil War
- Igbo people
- Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta
- Niger Delta People's Volunteer Force
- Dixon, Robyn (27 November 2016). "Biafra, scene of a bloody civil war decades ago, is once again a place of conflict". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 5 September 2017.
- Amodu, Taiwo (21 August 2017). "Agents on destabilization on the loose while Buhari was away". Nigerian Tribune. Retrieved 5 September 2017.
- "Nigeria police shoot Biafra supporters". BBC News. 18 December 2015. Retrieved 5 September 2017.
- Hegarty, Stephanie (5 May 2017). "Biafran leader Nnamdi Kanu: The man behind Nigeria's separatists". BBC Online. London, UK. Retrieved 5 September 2017.
- "'Nigeria treats us like slaves' - but is Biafra the answer?". BBC News. 6 July 2017. Retrieved 5 September 2017.
- Adonu, Chinedu (4 September 2017). "Rearrest threat: Kanu not in hiding – IPOB". Vanguard. Retrieved 5 September 2017.
- "Nigeria pro-Trump rally turns violent". BBC News. 20 January 2017. Retrieved 18 March 2019.
- "Nigeria: At least 150 peaceful pro-Biafra activists killed in chilling crackdown". Amnesty International.
- "Court grants injunction proscribing IPOB". P.M. News. 20 September 2017. Retrieved 20 September 2017.
- "Federal High Court Proscribes IPOB". Channels TV. Channels TV.
- Tony Iyare; Francois Essomba (8 October 2017). "In Nigeria and Cameroon, Secessionist Movements Gain Momentum". The New York Times. Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- Tayo, Sola; Mbah, Fidelis (9 November 2017). "Calls for Biafran Independence Return to South East Nigeria". Chatham House. Retrieved 9 November 2017.