Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration
The Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration is a prestigious award accorded by the Indian National Congress, after former Prime Minister of India Indira Gandhi. This Award is given annually starting from 1985 to distinguished persons/institutions for promoting national integration and understanding and fellowship amongst religious groups, communities, ethnic groups, cultures, languages and traditions of India and the strengthening, through thought and action of the nation's sense of solidarity. The Awardee is selected by an Advisory Committee of eminent persons representing art, science, culture, education, literature, religion social work journalism, law and public life. The Award carries an amount of Rs. 5 lakh in cash and a citation. The Award is given on the Martyrdom Day i.e. 31 October. The Award is given for services deserving of recognition in the year to which the Award relates and two years immediately preceding it.
Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration Recipients
The Award has so far been given to Swami Ranganathananda (1987), Aruna Asaf Ali, The Bharat Scouts and Guides (1987), P. N. Haksar, M. S. Subbulakshmi (1990), Rajiv Gandhi (Posthumous), Paramdham Ashram (Wardha, Maharashtra), Acharya Tulsi (1993), Bishambhar Nath Pande (1996), Beant Singh (Posthumous) & Natwar Thakkar (Jointly), Gandhi Institute of Public Affairs (Karnataka), Indira Gandhi Centre for National Integration (Shanti Niketan), A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, Shankar Dayal Sharma (Posthumous), Satish Dhawan, H. Y. Sharada Prasad, Ram-Rahim Nagar Slum Dwellers Association (Ahmedabad), Aaman Pathik Peace Volunteer Group (Ahmedabad), Ram Sinh Solanki and Sunil Tamaiche (Jointly),the 2015-16 award was given to TM Krishna .(source :Raushan kumar)
- 2002: Acharya Mahaprajna
- 2003: Shyam Benegal
- 2004: Mahashweta Devi
- 2005: Javed Akhtar
- 2006: Dr. J. S. Bandukwalla and Ram Puniyani (jointly)
- 2009: Balraj Puri 
- 2010: A. R. Rahman and Ramakrishna Mission Ashram (jointly)
- 2011: Mohan Dharia 
- 2012: Gulzar 
- 2013: M. S. Swaminathan 
- 2014 : Rajagopal P. V. 
- 2015 : T. M. Krishna
- herenow4u.net , accessed 23 April 2008.
- "PM's Address at the Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration". PIB, Prime Minister's Office. 31 October 2007.
- "Congress Sandesh" (PDF).
- "A R Rahman to receive Indira Gandhi Award". Times of India. 7 October 2010. Retrieved 7 October 2010.
- "Mohan Dharia gets Indira Gandhi National Integration award". Money Control. 31 October 2011.
- "Gulzar to get Indira Gandhi award for national integration". The Times of India. 30 September 2012.