|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts|
May 12, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Mark Wolf|
|Born||1960 (age 55–56)
Englewood, New Jersey, U.S.
|Residence||Auburndale, Massachusetts, U.S.|
|Alma mater||Harvard University
UC Berkeley School of Law
Indira Talwani (born 1960) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
Talwani received a Bachelor of Arts degree, cum laude, in 1982, from Harvard College. She received a Juris Doctorate in 1988 from UC Berkeley School of Law, graduating Order of the Coif. She began her legal career as a law clerk to Judge Stanley A. Weigel of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, from 1988 to 1989. She served as an associate at the San Francisco, California, law firm of Altshuler Berzon LLP, from 1989 to 1995 and as a partner at that law firm, from 1996 to 1999. Since 1999, she has served as a partner at the Boston, Massachusetts, law firm of Segal Roitman LLP, where she focuses her practice on civil litigation at the State and Federal trial court and appellate levels.
Federal judicial service
On September 24, 2013, President Barack Obama nominated Talwani to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts, to the seat vacated by Judge Mark L. Wolf, who took senior status on January 1, 2013. On February 6, 2014 her nomination was reported out of committee. Cloture was filed on her nomination on May 6, 2014. On Thursday May 8, 2014 the Senate voted on the motion to invoke cloture by a vote of 55-41. The Senate voted 94-0 for final confirmation later the same day. She received her judicial commission on May 12, 2014.
- Biography at Segal Roitman LLP
- President Obama Nominates Two to Serve on the United States District Courts" White House September 24, 2013
- Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate
- "Executive Business Meeting". United States Senate. Committee on the Judiciary. Retrieved 6 February 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 134. United States Senate. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 137. United States Senate. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "Biographical Directory of Federal Judges". Federal Judicial Center. Retrieved 12 May 2014.
- Indira Talwani at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts