Indonesian Film Festival
|Festival Film Indonesia|
|Citra Award and Vidia Award|
|Awarded for||Excellence in cinematic achievements|
|Presented by||Indonesian Film Board (Badan Perfilman Indonesia)|
|First awarded||1955 (Citra Awards); 1986 (Vidia Awards)|
Indonesian Film Festival (Festival Film Indonesia or known as FFI) is an annual Indonesian awards ceremony honoring cinematic achievements in the film industry, which is organized by Indonesian Film Board. The festival show features announcement of Piala Citra winners and presentation of best Indonesian films of each year.
The awards ceremony was first held in 1955 (named Pekan Apresiasi Film Nasional, changed into Festival Film Indonesia in 1973). In 1986, the festival also honouring the awards for television movies with the award called Piala Vidia.
This awards ceremony is often compared to the Academy Awards of the United States.
- 1955, 1960, and 1967: Three times, the Pekan Apresiasi Film Nasional (in English: National Film Appreciation Week) were held in Jakarta.
- 1973–92: The event renamed to Festival Film Indonesia and it became held annually. The trophy/award named Piala Citra (Citra Award). The All-Indonesia Cinema Owners' Association (Gabungan Pengusaha Bioskop Seluruh Indonesia, or GPBSI) grants the Antemas Award, named for the producer Antemas.
- 1993–2003 (dormant): The festival discontinued because the quantity of good Indonesian movies had dropped significantly since the early 1990s. In the 1990s, most Indonesian movie producers created low budget, B-class movies. The movie producers had suffered great loss of revenue because of growing piracy in Indonesia. Since 1992, most high class and mid-range cinemas prefer to show American, Hong Kong and Taiwanese movies. Low budget Indonesian movies are shown only in low-class cinemas, open theater cinemas, portable cinemas, direct to video, or through TV stations.
- 2004–2013: The Indonesian Film Festival committee has been formed and FFI being held annually since 2004.
- 2014: Indonesian Film Board has been formed and FFI changed the award statuette with the original one that used firstly in 1966, designed by (Alm) Sidharta. The award also held with the spirit of re-formation and new era of Indonesian film supremacy.
Starting from 2009, Indonesian Film Festival Committee replaced the National Body of Motion Picture as the official event organizer of Indonesian Film Festival. The Committee also have been authorized by the Ministry of Culture and Tourism of Indonesia to organize the operational process of Citra Awards' ceremony and the selection (voting) of nominations and winners.
Since 2014, Indonesian Film Board replaced Indonesian Film Festival Committee as the organized of Indonesian Film Festival. The organizer also accompanied by Deloitte as the auditing firm and Ministry of Tourism of Indonesia.
Citra Award often mistakenly called as FFI Award. FFI (Indonesian Film Festival) is the title of the event where the Citra Award and Vidia Award winners announced.
The categories of Citra Awards are:
- Best Film (in Indonesian: Film Terbaik): 1955 to present
- Best Director (Sutradara Terbaik): 1955 to present
- Best Leading Actor (Pemeran Utama Pria Terbaik): 1955 to present
- Best Leading Actress (Pemeran Utama Wanita Terbaik): 1955 to present
- Best Supporting Actor (Pemeran Pendukung Pria Terbaik): 1955 to present
- Best Supporting Actress (Pemeran Pendukung Wanita Terbaik): 1955 to present
- Best Writing – Original Screenplay (Skenario Asli Terbaik): 2009 to present
- Best Writing – Adapted Screenplay (Skenario Adaptasi Terbaik): 2009 to present
- Best Cinematography (Penata Sinematografi Terbaik): 1955 to present
- Best Art Direction (Penata Artistik Terbaik): 1955 to present
- Best Film Editing (Penyunting Terbaik): 1955 to present
- Best Sound Editing & Mixing (Penata Suara Terbaik): 1955 to present
- Best Original Score (Penata Musik Terbaik): 1955 to present
- Best Documentary Feature (Film Dokumenter Panjang Terbaik): 2004 to present
- Best Short Film (Film Pendek Terbaik): 2004 to present
- Best Screenplay (Skenario Terbaik): 1955 to 2008
- Best Documentary Short Subject (Film Dokumenter Pendek Terbaik): 2009
- Best Director in Short Film (Penghargaan Khusus Sutradara Film Pendek Terbaik): 2009
- Best New Director (Penghargaan Khusus Sutradara Baru Terbaik): 2009
- Best Film for Children (Penghargaan Khusus Film Anak-anak Terbaik): 2009
- Best Animated Feature (Penghargaan Khusus Film Animasi Terbaik): 2008
- Lifetime Achievement Award (Penghargaan Pengabdian dan Dedikasi Seumur Hidup): 2006, 2009 & 2010
Vidia Awards are accolades by the committee to recognize excellence of professionals in the Indonesian television movie industry, including directors, actors, and writers. Vidia Awards first presented in 1986 and held together in one event with Citra Award recipient announcement.
In 1992 until 1998, the award was presented separately in one specific event called Festival Sinetron Indonesia (Indonesian Soap-Opera Festival). In 1998 until 2003, this awards discontinued with unknown reason. In 2004, the award was presented again until 2006. In 2007 till 2007 the awards discontinued again and since 2011 onwards, the awards is presented annually.
- Piala Vidia 1992, rolfilmblog.blogspot.com. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Apa Siapa Orang Film Indonesia [What and Who: Film Figures in Indonesia] (in Indonesian). Jakarta: Indonesian Ministry of Information. 1999. p. 60. OCLC 44427179.
- "FFI 2009" (in Indonesian). Kompas. 2009. Retrieved 12 July 2010.
- "History of FFI" (in Indonesian). KFFI. 2010. Retrieved 7 December 2010.
- (Indonesian) Official website
- (Indonesian) Festival Film Indonesia Era 80-an
- (Indonesian) Riau Jadi Tuan Rumah FFI 2007