Industrial Technology Research Institute
|Non-profit research institute|
|Headquarters||Hsinchu County and Hsinchu City
|Ching-Yen Tsay, Chairman
Jonq-Min Liu, President
Number of employees
The Industrial Technology Research Institute (ITRI; Chinese: 工業技術研究院; pinyin: Gōngyè Jìshù Yánjiùyuàn) is a nonprofit R&D organization engaging in applied research and technical services originated from Taiwan. Founded in 1973, ITRI has played a vital role in transforming Taiwan’s economy from a labor-intensive industry to a high-tech industry. Numerous well-known, high-tech companies in Taiwan, such as leaders in the semiconductor industry TSMC and UMC, can trace their origins to ITRI. ITRI, headquartered in Taiwan, has offices in the United States, Japan, Russia, Netherlands and Germany in an effort to extend its R&D scope and promote opportunities for international cooperation.
ITRI employs 5,579 personnel, including 1,320 who hold Ph.D.s and 3,024 with master's degrees. By disseminating both technology and talent, ITRI has led the technology industry into the 21st century and has cultivated over 140 CEOs in the local high-tech industry. ITRI has played a vital role in Taiwan's economic growth as it shifted from a labor-intensive industry into a value-added, technology-driven one. Moving forward, the institute will continue serving as a pioneer for industries by strengthening its capabilities of multidisciplinary innovation and cooperation with international partners all over the world.
1973: Founding of ITRI
1976: Successful Transfer of IC Manufacturing Processes to Taiwan
1977: Establishment of the First IC Demonstration Foundry in Taiwan as the foundation of the Nation’s Semiconductor Industry
1980: Spinoff of UMC
1983: Successful Development of IBM-compatible PC Leading to Prosperity of the IT Industry
1985: Development of Carbon Fiber Bicycles with Giant
1986: R&D of Photoresistant Dry Film
1987: Spinoff of TSMC, the World’s Largest OEM IC Foundry
1987: Establishment of National Measurement Laboratory (NML)
1989: Spinoff of Taiwan Mask Corp.
1989: Spinoff of Mirle Automation Corp.
1990: Establishment of Taiwan Notebook PC Consortium
1990: Development of 3-inch TFT-LCD Display, and Breakthrough in Large Size Display R&D
1991: Establishment of Taiwan’s First Fire & Explosion Laboratory
1993: Establishment of 8-inch Wafer Laboratory, Acceleration of the Upgrading of the Semiconductor Industry
1993: Commencement of the Manufacturing of 8-inch Silicon Wafers, Securing Taiwan’s Place as a Semiconductor Manufacturing Powerhouse
1995: Successful Development of the First Common Car Engine, and Establishment of CEC
1995: Striving to be the World’s Third-Largest Wire Cutting Machine Producer
1995: Breaking Through the Barrier for Taiwan’s CD-ROM Industry
1996: Prompting the Establishment of Epistar Corp. to Complete the Supply Chain for the LED Industry
1996: OpenLab Project Operation
1997: Making of the First Inkjet Printing Head in Taiwan
1999: Establishment of an Emergency Response Information Center
2001: Development of the First Linear Motor Machine Tool in Taiwan
2002: Spinoff of Phalanx Biotech Group
2002: Discovery of Type 21 Human Collagen
2002: Establishment of cGMP Chinese Herbal Medicinal Plant
2004: Establishment of DelSolar Co.
2004: Establishment of DailyCare BioMedical Inc.
2005: Establishment of ITRI Southern Region Campus
2007: Opening of Taiwan’s First Flexible Display Production and Development Laboratory
2008: Pioneer of the First WiMAX Applications Lab in the World
2009: Introduction of the World’s First USB 3.0 Thin Memory Card
2009: Setting up of the First Solar Power Lab in Taiwan
2010: Designing of the Pavilion of Dreams at Taipei International Flora Exposition by Integrating Applied Sciences with Arts Focusing on Humanism
2011: Industrial Technology Investment Corporation (ITIC) and Mitsubishi UFJ Capital Co., Ltd. (MUCAP) set up a venture capital
2012: ITRI Inks Green Energy Pact with Dutch Center
2012: “ITRI Laureate” Honors 8 Tycoons for Industrial Contributions
2012: MOU Signed Between ITRI and KOSBI, Korea for the Promotion of Bilateral SMEs Economic Development
2013: ITRI and VTT Inked Memorandum of Cooperation Pact, Marking First Step in Innovation-Oriented R&D Cooperation Between Taiwan and Finland
2014: Golden Asia Fund Ventures Unites Companies from Taiwan and Japan in Laser Sources
2014: ITRI Grants Taiwan Mitsui Chemicals Exclusive License to Manufacture and Sell STOBA
Innovations and Applications
- Smart Living involves efforts to integrate technologies in information and communication technologies (ICT), cloud services, big data, etc., to develop smart services, logistics, and next-generation handheld devices.
- Quality Health focuses on the development of innovative therapeutic biologics, composite medical materials and instruments along with healthcare assistance technologies.
- Sustainable Environment focuses on green energy, smart transportation, biomass, advanced green manufacturing, and disaster relief technologies.
- 2015 - R&D 100 Awards for Plasmon-Coupled Organic Light-Emitting Diode (PCOLED), Fluid-Driven Emergency Lighting, Higher Sensitivity Tactile-film System for Wearable Orthosis (HSTS) and PolyE Membrane Technology
- 2015 - Frost & Sullivan Best Practices New Product Innovation Award for In-Line Compact Thermal Analyzer (ICTA)
- 2014 - Thomson Reuters 2014 Top 100 Global Innovators
- 2014 - R&D 100 Awards for In-Line Compact Thermal Analyzer (ICTA) and High Efficiency Calcium Looping Technology (HECLOT)
- 2013 - R&D 100 Awards for iAT Technology, FluxMerge, and ButyFix
- 2012 - The Wall Street Journal’s 2012 Technology Innovation Awards for SideLighter and aePLASMA
- 2012 - R&D 100 Awards for Lignoxy, TEMM, SideLighter, aePLASMA, Light&Light, and AVA-Clamp
- 2012 - Aviation Week’s A&D SIC Award for REDDEX
- 2011 - The Wall Street Journal’s 2011 Technology Innovation Awards for i2R e-Paper and Spray-IT
- 2011 - ITRI as Excellent Organization, Solar Industry Awards, UK for Solar Radome
- 2011 - R&D 100 Awards for i2R e-Paper and HyTAC
- 2011 - Silver Award, The Society for Information Display (SID) Display of the Year Awards (DYA) for ITRI Flexible Substrate for Displays
- 2010 - Overall Gold, The Wall Street Journal’s 2010 Technology Innovation Awards for FlexUPD, Runner-up for MDPS
- 2010 - R&D 100 Awards for FlexUPD, i2/3DW and REDDEX
- 2009 - R&D 100 Awards for STOBA
- 2009 - The Wall Street Journal’s 2009 Technology Innovation Awards for FleXpeaker
- 2009 - iF Design Award for Fluid Driven Lighting System
- 2009 - Red Dot Design Award for Flexio Radio
- 2008 - R&D 100 Awards for On-Chip AC LED
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Industrial Technology Research Institute.|